Reason Why YouTubers Lose Subscribers After Uploading Videos With Proof

[Repost from reddit]
So about a month and a half ago I noticed that YouTubers seemed to drop in subscribers after uploading videos. At first, I figured it was a glitch, either on YouTube’s side, or either of the fault of the live subscriber count websites. After hearing so many people starting to talk about this same problem; however, I got curious and decided to put a theory I had been thinking of to the test. On November 1st, I created a test channel and subscribed to myself. I wanted to see what would happen if I were to subscribe without engaging on any of my videos for a long time. I waited a couple weeks with no results. Uploaded a few videos on my main channel just to fill dead space as I checked the test channel for anything weird. Fast forward to the 30th of November. 29 days after I first subscribed, and to my surprise, my test channel was no longer subscribed to my main channel. The last time I checked the test channel was either November 26th or November 27th. Since I was still subscribed at that point, sometime between then and now youtube must have unsubscribed me.

I have two main theories to why this may have happened. Either this is an attempt from YouTube to combat bot subscribers who subscribe to users who pay for dead subscribers (for whatever reason I still do not get) or this might be YouTube’s way of keeping our subscriber feed clean of people’s videos who we don’t watch anymore. Now I still can't explain the instances of people saying one day they just became unsubscribed even though they watched videos of the Youtuber they were subscribed too sadly. I plan to create new test accounts changing little variables here and there to see what other things I can find out and encourage you all to do the same!
I made a video on my channel discussing the same things as well as proof if you are interested.

Last edited:

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
Definitely some interesting information, I always figured the loss of subs was just because the subscriber completely forgot about the channel, having a new video come up gives them the action to un-sub. You may need to be careful subscribing to your own channel with multiple accounts YouTube can recognize like/subs from your own IP or device and flag your channel as spam. This could mean taking your channel out of their search/suggested or getting a channel strike. Maybe try to get a friend who isn't subbed to try and follow without interaction.

Just a note channel/links links aren't allowed in this section, but feel free to post the video in the content section of the forums.

TimeOut Corner

Freedom! Member
Jan 10, 2015
YouTube
I have seen other youtubers talking about this not sure if anyone has come with a conclusion or found out the answer why it has been happening though.