YouTube Reaching the milestones tutorial for small YouTubers

Pi IPE

New User
Nov 25, 2015
Introducing Myself- and why I have to have come up with this method.
Hello Freedom Partner (Or other YouTuber, I'm not picky);
My name is Pi IPE, but my real name is John. As of writing this tutorial, yesterday I hit 9900 views on my YouTube channel, and I was looking forward to earning once again. But this morning (January 17 2018) YouTube updated their YouTube Partner Program once again, so that even if I did get the next 100 views I would be ineligible as I need 4000 HOURS of watch time as well as 1000 subscribers (which I was 26% of the way too.)
I made some calculations and discovered that everybody who was currently ineligible would need 11 hours of watch time on their videos each day, but after having a short conversation on the Freedom! Discord Chat I discovered that Live Stream Watch Time was also counted. So I went to school with this on my mind, and this is the idea which I came up with.

Reaching The Watch Time Requirement (4000 hours)
As I said you need to reach 11 Hours worth of viewing time each day, so if you are desperate to reach this milestone when you are a while away, then I suggest creating a live-stream of your uploads on YouTube. Here's how I would do it myself.
How method works
You will Livestream your Uploads playlist on YouTube for a certain amount of time each day. If no one will tune in then do it for up to 12 hours. However if someone will be watching it the whole time (even if they are only listening to it in the background) then you can get away with 6. If you have 2 viewers then maybe 4, 3 viewrs then 3, 5 or 6 for 2-3 hours, etc.
  • First of all you will need to enable livestreaming on YouTube and start something up. For example I called my livestream PiTV because it worked with my name.

• Download OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) [at least the right edition for your software] This will help you livestream the peripherals

• Add a browser source and add a 1920*1080 or 1280*720 link to your YouTube uploads playlist. I recommend 1280*720 at 30fps personally, their are plenty of YouTube tutorials on how to do it, but to do so, just go on the settings on the output tab and change the offending values.

• It is quite likely that you will want to have an overlay so if you make one from streamelements or streampro.io and add it in the same way as the youtube playlist then you can do so.
  • To crop your webpage to get the video only then press CTRL or CMD(if on a macintosh) and drag the circles on the corners.
  • Once you have made your LiveStream look nice then you are ready to go live. Go on the YouTube Live Dashboard from earlier and copy and paste the stream key from the Dashboard to the Stream tab on OBS and make sure that YouTube is selected.

• *make sure to select YouTube or else it will not work*
  • And now you are live, just leave your computer on, make sure you have your mic muted.

Problems with this method- This method will render your computer in a state unusable for difficult tasks such as rendering videos or gaming unless you have a very good CPU. If you have an old laptop you never use anymore this would be more useful
-You also will here the audio when trying to use the computer (unless the videos have no audio) which is kind of annoying. Try muting OBS on your sound card by right clicking the volume button (on windows) and muting OBS there.

Method of reaching 1000 Subscribers:
I understand as a person who has not reached this milestone myself I may not be the best person to give you advice on this, however I recommend still uploading regularly in a consistent manner and make enjoyable videos. This is how you will keep your current fans.
To gain more subscribers, there are several methods of gaining more.
Sub4Sub- Really not recommended, not a good idea. It gets you the subscribers, but it doesn't help you in ANY other way at all. Plus it's a douche move
Collaboration- Most people reading this are members of the Freedom! Family but it works with anybody else just as well. Find a Discord/Facebook group which make similar videos to yourself and find some people of your general size.
I recommend, if you are a gamer like my main channel, then going on a discord like the Freedom! official one works well and there are loads of hilarious people there. Suggest playing a large game of Cards Against Humanity or Secret Hitler, i.e. a game which anybody with an internet browser can play. Then ensure you edit that video and shoutout the person(s) that was featured. Hopefully they will do the same.
If you are a music channel then suggest doing a music track with somebody else like what you can see on websites like bandhub. If you do talking to a camera comedy videos at your computer maybe do a tag over Skype or Discord Video Chat (just don't add dodgy people, use your common sense)
The reason why this method is so effective is because you are not helping yourself but helping others, and if everybody in Freedom! with similar channels would do videos like these together, then everybody will grow. This is why George talks about We will Grow Together. You are not trying to get yourselves subscribers, you are doing a good deed which people will (hopefully) repay. But don't be nasty if they don't.

Pi IPE
If you want to help me out, or me to help you out, then I am on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter.
God Bless and Good Luck
We Will Grow Together

Evilzombie

Rising User
Jan 17, 2018
YouTube
Unfortunately I do actually get a lot of watch time, about 4 hours a day which comes to about 116 hours per month, its just a very low sub count that I have at 240 subs. I make sure I upload on a schedule and have good enough content to maintain at least a 95% like to dislike ratio. So I really have no idea what to do to grow. I keep doing it cause I love it, but it would be kinda nice to build up the sub audience a bit too.

Pi IPE

New User
Nov 25, 2015
Unfortunately I do actually get a lot of watch time, about 4 hours a day which comes to about 116 hours per month, its just a very low sub count that I have at 240 subs. I make sure I upload on a schedule and have good enough content to maintain at least a 95% like to dislike ratio. So I really have no idea what to do to grow. I keep doing it cause I love it, but it would be kinda nice to build up the sub audience a bit too.
Yes, subscribers are the hardest part, I know