YouTube [Quick] Spelling and Symbols matter

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
The following little thing really only applies when you are using things that have particular notations in them. I made a video a while back on an antique pair of glasses that I bought on eBay, called a "Pince-nez". I'm going to ask you to focus on those words for but a moment, see how it has a hyphen in it? This matters.

I noticed in the tags for the video, which are doing quite well, that the difference between having the hyphen and not is the difference in two positions in search. See below, the difference in "pince-nez bifocals" and "pince nez bifocals" is two positions. Their difference in position in search doesn't really matter much, but the fact that they are different verifies that YouTube sees these as two entirely separate search terms.

So when you're tagging your video, be sure to add in the potential interpretations of the name of something, such as these glasses.

EDIT AND UPDATE:
It is also important to note that I have confirmed that tags support each other as well, after adding in some more tags that also rank in search I found that the "pince-nez bifocals" tag improved by two spots in search. Keep in mind for this it was ONLY tags, the description and title DID NOT change when I did this.

Tag wisely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kratos Aurion

Krakingamer

Freedom! Member
Dec 28, 2015
YouTube
Good advice, but do not forget tags do not get all the views for you. Its your video title and description :)