YouTube Questions about streaming.

GeeksGoGaming

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 18, 2017
Ireland
www.youtube.com
YouTube
I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask about streaming.

1. How long should I stream for when I stream?
2. How often each week should I stream?
3. Which is a better streaming software, OBS or Xsplit?

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
1. Find out with your audience. If you see a decrease in views after 2 hours it's probably not worth it to push for more time.
2. I'd work this out with a good schedule, find out what days of the week your viewers have time to watch, then see how many of these days you can cover with the free time you have at your hands.
3. People worry about tools way too much, just try both and see which fits you best. If you have an alright PC they probably will both work the same way, if you need a feature software X has and prefer the way software X looks you should probably take software X. Take whichever fits you.

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
1. Literally as long as you want. It's your stream so have fun with it and play as long as you feel like playing. I've done streams as short as 2 hours and streams as long as 14 hours and many different times in between. (Normal live streams only. Not counting my special 24 hour birthday live stream) (Also avoid 12+ hour streams if streaming on youtube. You can't upload the stream archive if it's more than 12 hours and the archive youtube produces is also cut off after 12 hours. Not sure how this is on Twitch. Also you lose access to the youtube editor on streams/videos longer than 6 hours so keep that in mind too. I've had to fix the way I start streams so that way I could do 6+ hour streams without having to worry about edits)

2. As often as you feel like. I'd personally do it every day if I could but I have work and regular videos and other things to take care of during a given week so I only really ever have time to stream on my days off on Thursday and Friday. Occasionally if I'm able to I'll do bonus streams if I get the extra time for them.

3. I've only ever used OBS and I believe that is the preferred streaming software by most people. But maybe Xsplit is better? I have no idea honestly so I can't help here.

Reactions: GeeksGoGaming

GeeksGoGaming

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 18, 2017
Ireland
www.youtube.com
YouTube
1. Literally as long as you want. It's your stream so have fun with it and play as long as you feel like playing. I've done streams as short as 2 hours and streams as long as 14 hours and many different times in between. (Normal live streams only. Not counting my special 24 hour birthday live stream) (Also avoid 12+ hour streams if streaming on youtube. You can't upload the stream archive if it's more than 12 hours and the archive youtube produces is also cut off after 12 hours. Not sure how this is on Twitch. Also you lose access to the youtube editor on streams/videos longer than 6 hours so keep that in mind too. I've had to fix the way I start streams so that way I could do 6+ hour streams without having to worry about edits)

2. As often as you feel like. I'd personally do it every day if I could but I have work and regular videos and other things to take care of during a given week so I only really ever have time to stream on my days off on Thursday and Friday. Occasionally if I'm able to I'll do bonus streams if I get the extra time for them.

3. I've only ever used OBS and I believe that is the preferred streaming software by most people. But maybe Xsplit is better? I have no idea honestly so I can't help here.

Thanks

Reactions: Kratos Aurion

Indurok

Dragon
Freedom! Member
I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask about streaming.

1. How long should I stream for when I stream?
2. How often each week should I stream?
3. Which is a better streaming software, OBS or Xsplit?
I think it's a good idea to not make it overly long. I go for an hour and a half. And as for how often a week. When I play longer games from Steam, I usually stream 5 days a week. But that's just how I do it. How you do it is up to you to decide. And I tried to use OBS, but couldn't figure it out or understand it, so I use Xsplit.