Educational Paid Views Experiment

PhayilGaming

Rising User
Jul 23, 2015
YouTube
I have always been against paying for views, normally they do nothing for you channel and you end up paying a lot of money for no return. Yes you get lots of views, but normally they are either fake views, or placed on websites that have no relation to your videos.

Then it dawned on my that Google do their own Google Ad service, so I thought, why not give it a go.

I feel that it is a much better option because you only pay when interested people click on your content. That means the chances of that paid view is substantially higher because its something that has caught their eye. The cost (in my opinion anyway) is not that bad. I am paying about 1 penny per view. I I applied for an ad last night at midnight, and it probably went live at around 6am the next day. I set a budget of £1 a day.

So, has it worked?

I guess it depends how you define "Worked". It has increased my views most definitely. I have had around 200 views since it has gone live. However, my subscriber count has not increased.

Now, there could be several reasons for this:

A) My trailer isnt good and people arent interested
B) Im targeting the wrong people
C) My ad is setup incorrectly

Point C is definitely true I think. I was doing both in-stream (ads before other videos) and in-display (shows as sponsored on searches and by other videos). In my opinion (as a gaming channel anyway), in-steam wont bring in subscribers as it would be more of an annoyance. I have since changed it to in-display only, and I am waiting to see the results.

As all my videos are in a playlist, some of my other videos have also got a few more views, however, I dont know yet if this is from the paid content, or just people coming across my videos through other means.

Another thing I have learnt is that they dont accept swearing of any kind! So I havent been able to add another video to test further. I will be uploading a video tonight which is swear-free, so I am hoping that it will be accepted and I can test further to see what happens.

So, do I think it has been worth it so far? Yes and no. My views have definitely increased, but they have yet to turn into subscribers. I will continue to experiment and let you know my findings.