One Life - Is PermaPerma Death Good For an MMO?

Blazerunner70

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 31, 2015
Canada
YouTube
I play Dayz, and death in that game means you lose all your items and start over ( this isn't exactly something to shrug off, it can takes hours to get regeared just to lose everything in a matter of seconds )
Theres other games like Path of Exile where you can play "hardcore" mode which players only live once for much higher quality gear. If you die, you go back to standard servers and standard loot.
A game where you must pay and permadeath can lock you out of the game entirely? Thats a huge miss. Yes the concept is cool, and could be fun for some people... but then you arent really keeping the game alive, if you have everyone kill each other permanently gamelock. What will happen is, you are playing a single match of Call of Duty with one life for 10 dollars and it will be KILL ON SIGHT everytime. The trailer for one life is misleading.

Straying off games for a moment, have you watched or heard of Sword Art Online? The idea is, 10,000 players get stuck in a game of death. You die in game, you die in real life. Im no hardcore fanboy of the series, but in THAT context, a permadeath game would work (Not the dying irl thing though! lol ) . Have everyone register/gather on a server day 1, make the first town and area a pvp safezone so people get SOME experience out of the game. Give the game a time limit of up to a month ( maybe 2 ). Then reset everything and remove all permadeath locks so it can start over from day 1 with new changes/challenges/content/rewards to keep the game somewhat fresh. Having multiple servers for this would mean having multiple characters across the game if the devs chose to make it that way, but of course, they are unique to the servers so you dont have to completely stop playing.

Of course this is just my opinion. But there is ways to make a permadeath system work. It just has to be performed REALLY well, and knocking people out of the WHOLE GAME ENTIRELY is a miss. Give people a reason to come back, not to LEAVE.

Reactions: Gizar

Bee

Chief Creative Director of Optimize Group Ltd
Freedom! Member
Apr 20, 2014
California
optimizegroupltd.com
YouTube
I would support this if it was not locking people out. I'd never pay $10 to play a game like that. I love when games punish you for being horrible and or having unfortunate luck (Ex Souls games) but perma lockout defeats the point of games.. we want to play them not lose and never play again until we re-buy what we should already have.

Blazerunner70

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 31, 2015
Canada
YouTube
I would support this if it was not locking people out. I'd never pay $10 to play a game like that. I love when games punish you for being horrible and or having unfortunate luck (Ex Souls games) but perma lockout defeats the point of games.. we want to play them not lose and never play again until we re-buy what we should already have.

When the selling point of a permadeath game is pay to play once then never again.... thats like writing "Hey, want to give me 10 dollars to ride this amusement park ride that you will only ever ride once?" You get literally 5 minutes of excitement then its over.

Reactions: Bee and Gizar

Bee

Chief Creative Director of Optimize Group Ltd
Freedom! Member
Apr 20, 2014
California
optimizegroupltd.com
YouTube
When the selling point of a permadeath game is pay to play once then never again.... thats like writing "Hey, want to give me 10 dollars to ride this amusement park ride that you will only ever ride once?" You get literally 5 minutes of excitement then its over.

I honestly don't see why people backed the game... its not a selling point at all.

C4RP3T

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Nov 11, 2014
Netherlands
www.youtube.com
YouTube
I think that people are a bit shortsighted when they see the feature perma-death. Just sit and think for a while. It does not explicitly say "You pay 10dollars and if you die bye bye 10 dollars" It means your permanently dead and more dead than DayZ. This does not mean however that you can't ever play again. Just use your imagination and think about what makes a game? What is needed to create a game? What is a game? and questions like: Is there a possibility for multiple servers with one character per server? Do I get a new character when the server resets? How "hard" is it to actually die in the game? How often do people die in this game? What is needed to die in this game?
and these question automaticly bring you back to the questions: What is the gameplay like? How hard is the game? What target audience is the game for?

I think that a game like this is possible but like I said in my last post. The game will have to be HUGE and such a game will not excist for another 5 to 10 years I think.

Blazerunner70

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 31, 2015
Canada
YouTube
I think that people are a bit shortsighted when they see the feature perma-death. Just sit and think for a while. It does not explicitly say "You pay 10dollars and if you die bye bye 10 dollars" It means your permanently dead and more dead than DayZ. This does not mean however that you can't ever play again. Just use your imagination and think about what makes a game? What is needed to create a game? What is a game? and questions like: Is there a possibility for multiple servers with one character per server? Do I get a new character when the server resets? How "hard" is it to actually die in the game? How often do people die in this game? What is needed to die in this game?
and these question automaticly bring you back to the questions: What is the gameplay like? How hard is the game? What target audience is the game for?

I think that a game like this is possible but like I said in my last post. The game will have to be HUGE and such a game will not excist for another 5 to 10 years I think.

I can't deny that the concept can be well performed. If they had multiple servers for the game, and you could go to those servers and play again it would help a little bit....BUT, then you are going onto servers where other people still playing for however longer than you have will be much more ahead. This may seem like a fair consequence, they put more time into it than you, and survived up until this point. Fine. We probably aren't spawning with automatic weapons, we will probably start with very little. Even so, a melee weapon is enough to kill a player if they really want to. If you DO spawn with a gun, but no ammo, then it essentially becomes a race to find ammo first and kill anyone else before they can get it.

Its thrilling in the aspect of seeing how long you can go and how much content you can get. Its really NOT thrilling though if you just get KOS'ed. Like I said in my opinion, the trailer is misleading. How many people are actually gonna try to be friendly to other players when you only have one life? Maybe 5% of people and in a game like this, they will probably ALL be betrayed for loot. In contrast, when I play Dayz and try to be friendly, I at LEAST get some conversation about 50% of the time, and if I do die, I can try my playstyle again or do something else. The game is punishing enough with it's loot system to punish players for dying and respawning with nothing. Groups in this game will MOST LIKELY be premade groups of friends that trust each other immedietely.

The only thing I see much better about one life is that its not in early access for almost 3 years now. ( Damn it Dayz )

Not comparing it to Dayz? How about other survival games? Like Rust or even H1Z1. Hell, lets throw in Single player hardcore MINECRAFT. The CHARACTER permadies, but YOU still get to play a new "Character" and experience the full game ( wether or not you are getting raided at your home base on rust or not and keep dying to raiders is part of those games ) Bang for your buck, not "gambling" the enjoyment of the entire game.

Again, completely my opinion.

Last edited:

C4RP3T

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Nov 11, 2014
Netherlands
www.youtube.com
YouTube
I can't deny that the concept can be well performed. If they had multiple servers for the game, and you could go to those servers and play again it would help a little bit....BUT, then you are going onto servers where other people still playing for however longer than you have will be much more ahead. This may seem like a fair consequence, they put more time into it than you, and survived up until this point. Fine. We probably aren't spawning with automatic weapons, we will probably start with very little. Even so, a melee weapon is enough to kill a player if they really want to. If you DO spawn with a gun, but no ammo, then it essentially becomes a race to find ammo first and kill anyone else before they can get it.

Its thrilling in the aspect of seeing how long you can go and how much content you can get. Its really NOT thrilling though if you just get KOS'ed. Like I said in my opinion, the trailer is misleading. How many people are actually gonna try to be friendly to other players when you only have one life? Maybe 5% of people and in a game like this, they will probably ALL be betrayed for loot. In contrast, when I play Dayz and try to be friendly, I at LEAST get some conversation about 50% of the time, and if I do die, I can try my playstyle again or do something else. The game is punishing enough with it's loot system to punish players for dying and respawning with nothing. Groups in this game will MOST LIKELY be premade groups of friends that trust each other immedietely.

The only thing I see much better about one life is that its not in early access for almost 3 years now. ( Damn it Dayz )

Not comparing it to Dayz? How about other survival games? Like Rust or even H1Z1. Hell, lets throw in Single player hardcore MINECRAFT. The CHARACTER permadies, but YOU still get to play a new "Character" and experience the full game ( wether or not you are getting raided at your home base on rust or not and keep dying to raiders is part of those games ) Bang for your buck, not "gambling" the enjoyment of the entire game.

Again, completely my opinion.

I understand what you mean. But in my last post I put some questions you can ask yourself about the game.
There is another question that you can ask yourself. What will the game be about? No one said it would be a survival game or even the fact that you'll get to shoot other people. Maybe it's just a life simulator. Maybe the game isn't even about loot. If the game is about WW2 then sure there will be shooting. But what if you are just a simple house painter? Or you live in canada as a simple woodcutter? What if WW2 is just the setting and you are free to do whatever you want. Or you're supposed to pick a profession out of thousands of professions. Sure most people will choose soldier or pilot. But maybe some people just want to cut some nice ass tree's. These kind of games depend on a lot of different things that only time can tell us if it's good or not.

(extra edit)

There is another thing you can wonder about. What there is no vicotry condition? What if it's a world that just lives and breathes and we're just characters in that world. Shaping it or maybe not even making a difference. Think about Game of Thrones (don't worry I won't spoil a thing). A HUGE world with lots and lots and lots of characters. At the end some characters will be dead and some won't. Maybe some people achieved what they wanted and some didn't.

Just some food for thought.

Last edited:

C4RP3T

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Nov 11, 2014
Netherlands
www.youtube.com
YouTube
I dunno to be honest... Like most MMO depend on Grinding items, xp and mission. If you died... then all your work is just useless...
Yeah but make sure to read my past comments. Like I said don't be shortsighted. If people think about perma death then they only think about Dayz while it could be implemented in a COMPLETELY different game than Dayz

Dragcoolguy

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 4, 2015
England
www.youtube.com
YouTube
Yeah but make sure to read my past comments. Like I said don't be shortsighted. If people think about perma death then they only think about Dayz while it could be implemented in a COMPLETELY different game than Dayz

I wasnt even thinking of Dayz. I was thinking more of the line of say Runescape or World of Warcraft for example. If my hero was Level 77 (Which did took me a year to do so or more in Runescape) then I died and lost everything? Like thats a whole 1year+ wasted... I would rage and never play the game again. (Thats implying if you actully got to level 77 without dying in the first place)

BUUUUUUUT.
If say they made it much quicker to get to said level of 77. Like say in a week. Then Perma death could work. As I could get to that point of Level again without wasting time. But the implication is almost completing the game in less than a month... Thus lossing intrest quite quickly.

ALSO! With Perma Death on You cant really get to learn from your mistakes that much. Dead... Poof... try again. Dead... Poof... Try again. The cycle is endless until you either not die or get tired (Because most MMO's try to not have an end game)

Games like Binding of Issac and Dont Starve Implement it well. But there are not MMO's sooo... That would be irrelevant.

So I dont think it should be implememnted as I dont think MMO's go well with Perma death.

Sergeant Riker

New User
Freedom! Member
Dec 21, 2015
I believe there should be an option in an MMO for this, so that you can learn the game. When one want more of a challenge after the game has been learned then this would be a great option!

DuffCreeper

What's this?
Freedom! Member
Jun 22, 2014
Australia
YouTube
I can only imagine those who play FPS for a living will have a field day with this.
KOS will be a massive aspect of this and in a game where it will lock you out forever not many people will enjoy it

No, it's not good for a MMO