One Life - Is PermaPerma Death Good For an MMO?

Gizar

Freedom! Member
Good morning, afternoon and evening!
So I would like to ask you dudes based on your opinion.

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=534994203

Just as the title says, I want to know that is PermaPerma Death good for an MMO?

This particular MMO, called One Life, is getting all the hype it needs to pass Steam Greenlight. It's main attraction to the audience is the PermaPerma death system. What it means is, if you're killed in the game once, you're kicked out from the game entirely. You cannot make another character to play the game anymore. If you want to play it again, you'll probably have to make another account and buy the game all over again. I got all the information about the game from Kotaku, and it's said that it will go at 10$ retail price.
My personal thoughts on this system is that it's not going to work. It's because that this game is going to be filled with "Killers" out there who's hungry for some killing sprees. Imagine if you just played only 5 minutes after spawning, and a "Killer" just came out of nowhere and killed you, and now you just wasted 10$ for a 5 minute game. Is that fun for you? Is this a good idea for an MMO?

I'm actually asking you dudes this question for a video on Permanent Deaths on MMOs. If you dudes would be so nice to tell me your thoughts on the subject, it will be appreciated & credited on my video.

Reactions: iwanabe

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
I can see Permadeath working if you can respawn (but with nothing). But to pay for a game, die within an hour, and then not be able to continue playing is not going to end in their favor.

Two words:
Steam refunds.

Reactions: iwanabe and Gizar

Holy Apple

Celestial Gamer
Freedom! Member
That sounds like a game that is doomed to fail haha, My opinion would be Permadeath works in some games but not all of them. A good example would be Realm of the Mad God. Its an MMO that is surrounded heavily by its permadeath feature and every time you have to start back at level 1 with nothing regardless of how long you played or what level you got to. Using permadeath in that sense is good because it adds that extra layer of challenge to the game which makes you not want to die even more. But if its just a game where you die and then you can never play it again then its pretty bad and it'll scare most people off before they even look at what the game is about.

Gizar

Freedom! Member
That sounds like a game that is doomed to fail haha, My opinion would be Permadeath works in some games but not all of them. A good example would be Realm of the Mad God. Its an MMO that is surrounded heavily by its permadeath feature and every time you have to start back at level 1 with nothing regardless of how long you played or what level you got to. Using permadeath in that sense is good because it adds that extra layer of challenge to the game which makes you not want to die even more. But if its just a game where you die and then you can never play it again then its pretty bad and it'll scare most people off before they even look at what the game is about.

Thanks for the reply!

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
I love the idea, I hate the execution. Perma death is fine when it's only the character, but to be locked out of the game entirely isn't. If anything a timed lock out seems a whole lot better. Maybe a 48 hour lockout. So if you die, 2 days you can make a new character and try again.

Chris

Filipino Let's Player <Astig>
Freedom! Member
Jan 3, 2014
www.gamerfuzion.com
YouTube
If you cannot create a new character, then its not worth it. The developer of this game only thinks about Money, Money and Money. I know some people will be thrilled with this concept, but not me. Because I am sure those who have Good Computers, Skills and Money will dominate this game. (Maybe someone will use hack or cheat to make someone miserable).

I will see a lot of people complaining about this game, once they wasted X amount of money.

Gizar

Freedom! Member
If you cannot create a new character, then its not worth it. The developer of this game only thinks about Money, Money and Money. I know some people will be thrilled with this concept, but not me. Because I am sure those who have Good Computers, Skills and Money will dominate this game. (Maybe someone will use hack or cheat to make someone miserable).

I will see a lot of people complaining about this game, once they wasted X amount of money.

I love the idea, I hate the execution. Perma death is fine when it's only the character, but to be locked out of the game entirely isn't. If anything a timed lock out seems a whole lot better. Maybe a 48 hour lockout. So if you die, 2 days you can make a new character and try again.

Cant see it working myself as a retail game in any way, shape or form

Thanks everybody for replying to the post! :D

thundar001

Jul 31, 2015
YouTube
The only way this would be worth it is if you had the ability to create a new character. Because chances are somewhere you are going to mess up and die. The only way to get back in is by paying would lose more people then gain.

C4RP3T

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Nov 11, 2014
Netherlands
www.youtube.com
YouTube
I always liked the idea of perma-perma death but it's hard to make a game around it. I think that Perma death indeed only works with MMO's but the entire game has to be build around that feature. In my mind it should always be a bit like this: It should be like life itself.

Let me explain how:

The game has a theme like World War 2 for instance. But to make perma perma death viable the game will have to be HUGE. I don't think you can just make a perma perma death shooting game. I think that the game should be a theme game where you CAN be a soldier but you CAN also be an entirely different person. But all within the same theme of the game: World War 2.
Also I think it's best to have multiple grand servers online and restrict people to one character per server. These servers play out their story and when the victory/defeat/failure/end conditions are met the server restarts and people start from scratch.

It does however bring many interesting things to the table like: How will combat work? Do we make it smooth like counter strike? Do we make it hard like Arma? Do we make it fast like Unreal Tournament?

Or: how long will the servers run? Do we have teams or are the players free to do whatever they wish? How many skills are there? (must be a lot I think)
and so many more questions that will have to be answered.

I do think that someday a game like this might be made but it will be in a far future. I don't think we'll see a game like that in the next 10 years.

Gizar

Freedom! Member
I always liked the idea of perma-perma death but it's hard to make a game around it. I think that Perma death indeed only works with MMO's but the entire game has to be build around that feature. In my mind it should always be a bit like this: It should be like life itself.

Let me explain how:

The game has a theme like World War 2 for instance. But to make perma perma death viable the game will have to be HUGE. I don't think you can just make a perma perma death shooting game. I think that the game should be a theme game where you CAN be a soldier but you CAN also be an entirely different person. But all within the same theme of the game: World War 2.
Also I think it's best to have multiple grand servers online and restrict people to one character per server. These servers play out their story and when the victory/defeat/failure/end conditions are met the server restarts and people start from scratch.

It does however bring many interesting things to the table like: How will combat work? Do we make it smooth like counter strike? Do we make it hard like Arma? Do we make it fast like Unreal Tournament?

Or: how long will the servers run? Do we have teams or are the players free to do whatever they wish? How many skills are there? (must be a lot I think)
and so many more questions that will have to be answered.

I do think that someday a game like this might be made but it will be in a far future. I don't think we'll see a game like that in the next 10 years.

Okay, so what you're saying is, PermaPerma death is acceptable if:

1. The game is huge and you have a choice of killing off characters and also doing another profession, and
2. Has multiple servers that can be used, but only 1 character per server

That's... A really good idea actually. If that kind of game existed, it will eventually be a "Life Simulator" where some can be Hired Hitmans, some can be Police Officers, some can be Burger Flippers, etc. That would make up for the PermaPerma Death system, since we still can play at another server if our character died. And, it's more interesting than any other conventional game out there, if this kind of game existed, it will be revolutionary for the industry.