Solved Not sure if this is the right place or, in fact, just a stupid question... but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hubristic

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Nov 5, 2014
England
YouTube
Hi guys,

So I have a rather... odd question, which may be really obvious but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

In some videos (such as for example here:
at the 0:48 mark) they have actual clips from the films/trailers in their videos. Now I know that these clips are from the trailers or films, but what my question is, is where do they get the clips/footage from the films or trailers. I realise the trailers can be downloaded from various sites but do they literally just download them and then cut out the sections they want to use in their videos?

Is that permitted by YouTube or does it have any copyright violations, it just seems a bit... odd?

Anyway sorry for the potentially stupid question, I would just like to add some stuff like this to my movie reviews as I think it's a nice addition to help explain certain things I'm saying etc. but I don't want to do anything that would get me in trouble!

Thanks!

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
You can use copyrighted content if it falls under fair use. From the video shown it's a review on the clip with included commentary about it. If they just showed the trailer and noting else it would definitely be taken down. It's a bit of a grey area on youtube though as you can still get a content claim on the video even if it's 100% legal. There was a video somewhere that explained how fair use works really well but I can't find it :(

Found this one which is pretty good also.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.