Review4Review NOT just another Minecraft LP!?

Valiant

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 19, 2016
United Kingdom
YouTube
ConnorJSadler
Review4Review :) If you take the time to review my playlist then I will happily look over whatever videos you have created. --I am a 2nd year Film and TV student and I might have some good insights which can help you.--

Before you watch I just wanted to say thank you so much for this, I plan to grow better and better throughout my journey on Youtube.

So the first playlist I am requesting a review of is theplaylist for my MINECRAFT | SKYBLOCK series, this playlist was recorded a long time ago but was never uploaded. --I decided I would upload it to my main channel because I would like to show the journey I go through.-- I do not believe this is a good show of me as a content creator at this current time, and I would like this playlist to be reviewed to see if there are any points which I can pull from this to enlighten future videos.

The playlist is linked below, could you please watch the following episodes / clips and answer the questions below.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL89DwOQ23XVuK7ibhZVj_Tu7BjRhRQ_Q3

Please watch atleast the first episode and complete the questions;

Did you feel welcomed to the series?
- Please explain.
What do you like about the thumbnails?
Did you enjoy the commentry?
What was the most memoriable moment for you?
Was the length of the video good?
(e.g. Did it drag on or was it cut short)
If you could change ONE thing with the video what would it be?
(e.g. Length, Commentary, Game)
Was the way the episode ended good?
Do you wat to watch more of this series?
- Please explain why.
Videos upload everyday at 9:00GMT, What time would you like to see videos uploaded?

Please rate the following out of /10

Video Quality -- xx/10
Audio Quality -- xx/10
Content -- xx/10
Commentary -- xx/10
Overall -- xx/10

And finally just add any feedback you have,
I appreciate that not ALL questions will be filled out as not everybody will have the time but I will happily review with the same questions for anybody else. Please add suggestions for future videos. (Please include software if relevant for Graphics and such.) Thank you very much for reading all of this, I look forward to hear back from you. :)

TheChilliCharred

Freedom! Member
Aug 11, 2016
YouTube
Hi, I took a look at the first episode of your series. Keep in mind I'm not really into Minecraft so I thought you'd like some feedback from someone who doesn't play it a lot.

1. When starting the video I felt partially welcome into the video, it was quite a sudden start. Making adding an intro would welcome people more into the lets play.
2.The thumbnails were really good, although a colour such as bright orange boarderd by black would work better for the numbers as it stands out more than the green.
3. I don't want to be harsh as children may enjoy it but I felt as an adult your commentary was bland to start with on episode 1, however I checked a later video to see if you grew with confidence and you did. The girl you were with also felt awkward to listen to but I don't know if that was just the quality of her mic.
4. I would say the length is good.
5. If I could improve one thing it would be audio quality although I do understand you can't just go and buy all the best gear so don't take that too critically.
6. You ended the video fine.
7. As I said I'm not big on Minecraft but if I were a kid I would want to watch more.
8. That time is good although if your playing Minecraft I'd assume you would want to be tailoring it towards kids as that's the biggest audience, some kids have an early bedtime so they may miss the video, try 8GMT.

Video Quality 8/10
Audio Quality 5/10
Content 7/10
Commentary 8/10
Overall 7.5/10

I hope I have helped! I look forward to what you have to say about my channel!

Valiant

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 19, 2016
United Kingdom
YouTube
ConnorJSadler
I hope I have helped! I look forward to what you have to say about my channel!

So I watched your NO MAN'S SKY - WALKTHROUGH. -- Because it is an interesting game, lol.

First impressions are strong however I feel as if the commentary dropped in tone after the opening, I understand this is a Walkthrough and not a Lets Play and hense the objective is for you to 'Explore the world' and not just your play session. With this in mind the tone fits, (More descriptive than comical.) however you may want to increase the audio levels so you talk louder or have more variation in your commentary making it more mono-toned?

- Please explain.
Absolutly, Started strong and was loud enough to be heard over the game. (Maybe nit picking but there was a few frames at the start that could be cut, but overall very well done.)

No differance between Episode 1 and 2, maybe add a number in the corner or maybe a differant picture to make it clear it is the next episode. You did good thumbnails with your Oddworld series.

Started strong, however after the opening titles the commentary was more mono-toned, I understand this is a trope of Walkthroughs but maybe add more variation in your voice? there are a number of tutorials on youtube but it should naturally come as you get more confident.

You landed on the plannet and started describing the surroundings, the commentary was slow but it did help inform me about what was going on as you learnt about the planet.

Episode 1 (01:03:00) went on a bit too long for me, however Episode 2 (00:29:00) was a good length.

Content, was really the only part which I found fault in, the quality was good and had good commentary, many times the video fell silent so it might be a good idea to just speak you mind, as you explore act more like 'Oh what is this lets go and explore.' Maybe that is more of a nit pick but it might help you.

Was the way the episode ended good? End slate looked kind of basic?
maybe have a video playing so peple can see your other content. (Also I find that if you have the audio low while you are talking and then raise it suddenly when it is just the end slate it can really engage more. << I can explain this more if you would like.)

- Please explain why.
Yeah it was cool, No Man Sky is a good trending game and I would like to see more.

What time would you like to see videos uploaded?
The commentary and game style is implied for a more adult viewership, but your other games do hint towards a more scientific and interlectual audiance. (e.g. Oddworld is aliens, No Mans Sky is space.) Maybe use this in your commentary? You can be more scientific if you arintellectuale doing more intellectual games, like if you are doing SPORE you can go more into depth about evolution and make something that should function in the world. I feel like many Walkthroughs neglect this audiance so it would be an original concept? and by doing this it would make sense if you uploaded later on in the day.

Video Quality -- 08/10
Audio Quality -- 07/10
Content -- 05/10
Commentary -- 06/10
Overall -- 07/10

TheChilliCharred

Freedom! Member
Aug 11, 2016
YouTube
So I watched your NO MAN'S SKY - WALKTHROUGH. -- Because it is an interesting game, lol.

First impressions are strong however I feel as if the commentary dropped in tone after the opening, I understand this is a Walkthrough and not a Lets Play and hense the objective is for you to 'Explore the world' and not just your play session. With this in mind the tone fits, (More descriptive than comical.) however you may want to increase the audio levels so you talk louder or have more variation in your commentary making it more mono-toned?

- Please explain.
Absolutly, Started strong and was loud enough to be heard over the game. (Maybe nit picking but there was a few frames at the start that could be cut, but overall very well done.)

No differance between Episode 1 and 2, maybe add a number in the corner or maybe a differant picture to make it clear it is the next episode. You did good thumbnails with your Oddworld series.

Started strong, however after the opening titles the commentary was more mono-toned, I understand this is a trope of Walkthroughs but maybe add more variation in your voice? there are a number of tutorials on youtube but it should naturally come as you get more confident.

You landed on the plannet and started describing the surroundings, the commentary was slow but it did help inform me about what was going on as you learnt about the planet.

Episode 1 (01:03:00) went on a bit too long for me, however Episode 2 (00:29:00) was a good length.

Content, was really the only part which I found fault in, the quality was good and had good commentary, many times the video fell silent so it might be a good idea to just speak you mind, as you explore act more like 'Oh what is this lets go and explore.' Maybe that is more of a nit pick but it might help you.

Was the way the episode ended good? End slate looked kind of basic?
maybe have a video playing so peple can see your other content. (Also I find that if you have the audio low while you are talking and then raise it suddenly when it is just the end slate it can really engage more. << I can explain this more if you would like.)

- Please explain why.
Yeah it was cool, No Man Sky is a good trending game and I would like to see more.

What time would you like to see videos uploaded?
The commentary and game style is implied for a more adult viewership, but your other games do hint towards a more scientific and interlectual audiance. (e.g. Oddworld is aliens, No Mans Sky is space.) Maybe use this in your commentary? You can be more scientific if you arintellectuale doing more intellectual games, like if you are doing SPORE you can go more into depth about evolution and make something that should function in the world. I feel like many Walkthroughs neglect this audiance so it would be an original concept? and by doing this it would make sense if you uploaded later on in the day.

Video Quality -- 08/10
Audio Quality -- 07/10
Content -- 05/10
Commentary -- 06/10
Overall -- 07/10
Thank you for the feedback! It is really good to have professional feedback on my videos! I understand that I'm not that intriguing to listen to and that's definitely something I'm trying to improve, I feel as if professional content in terms of what I say and the way I say it will come with my channels maturity and confidence, I never know anything interesting to talk about or how to be funny so I really want to learn how to be a good commentator for the games I play. And thumbnail wise I do have part 1 or 2 in the bottom right corner but the fact you didn't notice it obviously shows I need to improve on the NNS thumbnail design. My idea for my channel was to play games I liked and what comes out, but your idea was really good and I'll take it into consideration. If you have any suggestions on how to improve my humour and confidence when recording then please feel free to say as I'd really appreciate it! Thank you once again.

Valiant

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 19, 2016
United Kingdom
YouTube
ConnorJSadler
If you have any suggestions on how to improve my humour and confidence when recording then please feel free to say as I'd really appreciate it! Thank you once again.
It might help you to try and get charatcer. For example I find it helps to --when you have time to yourself-- Listen to the radio, or even other Youtubers and mimic what they say, so try and put on their accent and just say what they say. If you are copying how they talk you may start to understand how variation in your voice can be engaging.

:') Maybe just watch a JackSepticEye and listen to the way he talks a few times and then record yourself trying to copy it. Then you can watch it back to see what needs improvment.

Also with the content, Yeah maybe don't focus on being funny or smart. Nobody likes the way they speak and they think they are boring, --Mainly because you are hearing the same information that you already know.-- But the point is what you find boring other people may not, if you see a giant T-Rex styled creature on No Man Sky and you want to theorise on how it probally eats smaller animals or might have a nest --whatever. Then don't feel bad about expressing yourself and following through the whole thought.
You mentioned when you landed on the planet that it looked hot, why? the surface was red and there was steam but why?

Hopefully this helps :) don't listen to it if it is not relevant but I hope something can help you in some way, when you have time look up like speaking games like tounge twisters or such, they can help you expand your voice and should help your commentary.

Deukalos

Freedom! Member
Jul 14, 2016
United Kingdom
YouTube
Hi there! I tried my best to review 2 episodes of your Skyfall series, but please keep in mind that I do not enjoy Minecraft as much as I use to when I was young. I am familiar with the game but I do not play it anymore. I am about to become a 2nd year Media A Level student so I hope this feedback helps you and passions you to do more! :D

Believe it or not I find your voice to be quite calm and nice to listen to (not been a creep or anything). And what i mean by that is like for example, Morgan Freeman is famous for his narrations and your voice has the similar attributes to his voice. It is likeable! I felt that the music was quite fitting for the content that you had selected, it actually got me hooked. You were quite welcoming in your video which I'm sure any person would agree with me :) Introducing yourself is very important and you did a perfect job! Well done :p

The Thumbnails were quite eye catching and If I was interested in Minecraft like I once was, I would click it, Its a good colour scheme, bright colours! However, each one of your thumbnails was the same. Maybe perhaps make the thumbnail similar to an event. For example, If you were able to require diamonds on your sky island, then perhaps evolve the thumbnail around diamonds, but not too much as you still want to keep the identity that you are indeed doing the best sky island series ever! :D The thumbnails are great! Just a bit of variation would intrigue me :)

Did you enjoy the commentary?
In the first episode it started off fine without a hitch, you welcomed me into your video and I was hooked by the music. You related your commentary around the events which occurred in your content which was perfect! You are abusing chances to communicate with your audience! The thing that you could possibly change however is maybe add some background music in to keep the viewer watching. That and i noticed there were some awkward and silent parts in both episode 1 and 2, but episode 2 had a lot less. Do not worry my friend, this use to happen to me a lot with a previous channel I had. It happens to all of us. What you could do is maybe snap to the parts of your videos where you are talking about the game you are on or a relevant event that occurred in the game which will hook the viewer! There were some laughs in there which I found enjoyable to share with you.

What was the most memorable moment for you?
13:15 made me smile when you were loud running frantically going 'gg we screwed up' xD It just reminds me of the games that I play with people that give up easily over small amount of things. Being over dramatic about the event was funny :') I'm sure that the age rating that you are targeting would enjoy that too.

I feel that it could have been shortened to put in the best parts of the episodes. Maybe it could have taken the episode down to 15-17 minutes, who knows. If you would have done this, the video wouldn't have been too long nor too short, just about right. This is just my opinion as i tend to watch a lot of short videos which range from 6 minutes and 15 minutes, just as long as a lot of content is thrown in there. As a lets play however, 20 minutes is a perfect target to reach to, so I have no problem with that If you will continue to leave your clips un-edited, showing raw footage to the viewer of what happened and when if you get me ;')

I would like to see the awkward parts, dull and silent parts taken out, to leave the viewer with pure Uberness. There is just as much awkward silence and boring parts in mine to. I'll give you an example. Sometimes I can't find anyone to kill in Battlefield or if the event that occurred wasn't funny. I just take those parts out if I don't find them funny myself.

I really loved how you ended the video with music slowly climbing to show to the viewer that the video was about to end. That a sample of the future video was shown to hook the viewer into wanting to watch more of the series. I never thought about this and is actually a really good technique. If its not too much work, I would also try to add in a outro sequence, where It just shows your social media which you use to communicate with your fan base and give updates, that and it could have both a subscribe button and a previous video while you narrate over the outro, thanking the audience for watching and advertising your social media (if you have one :p).

Do you want to watch more of this series?

I'm sure many people would but unfortunately, I don't like Minecraft as much as I use to back in the times when I was young, and I don't see why I would like videos of the game that I no longer enjoy. However you did make me chuckle in some of the parts so yes, just as long as I get to see some pure gold comedy and funny events that occurred in the Let's Play! Maybe you could put one of the best parts of the video at the first 10 seconds to grab my attention, then if it really did intrigue me, I would definitely continue to watch it!

Videos upload everyday at 9:00GMT, What time would you like to see videos uploaded?
I really see no problem with It, a perfect time! I'm usually up until 1 or 2 am so it doesn't really bother me xD

• VIDEO QUALITY 9/10
  • AUDIO QUALITY 6/10
  • CONTENT 6/10
  • COMMENTARY 7/10
  • OVERALL 7/10
I hope I helped you! I look forward to your review of my channel.
However, I can sometimes get carried away, swear a lot which I think I need to settle down on, that is one of my faults. That and my Forest video was a small montage. I hope you do not get offended by any of my videos but many people seem to enjoy it! I hope you enjoy my content as much as they do :D

TheChilliCharred

Freedom! Member
Aug 11, 2016
YouTube
It might help you to try and get charatcer. For example I find it helps to --when you have time to yourself-- Listen to the radio, or even other Youtubers and mimic what they say, so try and put on their accent and just say what they say. If you are copying how they talk you may start to understand how variation in your voice can be engaging.

:') Maybe just watch a JackSepticEye and listen to the way he talks a few times and then record yourself trying to copy it. Then you can watch it back to see what needs improvment.

Also with the content, Yeah maybe don't focus on being funny or smart. Nobody likes the way they speak and they think they are boring, --Mainly because you are hearing the same information that you already know.-- But the point is what you find boring other people may not, if you see a giant T-Rex styled creature on No Man Sky and you want to theorise on how it probally eats smaller animals or might have a nest --whatever. Then don't feel bad about expressing yourself and following through the whole thought.
You mentioned when you landed on the planet that it looked hot, why? the surface was red and there was steam but why?

Hopefully this helps :) don't listen to it if it is not relevant but I hope something can help you in some way, when you have time look up like speaking games like tounge twisters or such, they can help you expand your voice and should help your commentary.
Thank you I sure this will help .

Deukalos

Freedom! Member
Jul 14, 2016
United Kingdom
YouTube
Hey xD I will get around to doing a Review soon but work piled up all of a sudden and I haven't had the time :) just wanted to let you know I have not forgotten and I will get round to it.
Oh so sorry I did not realise xD Yes yes continue what you are doing. I'll be patient this time :p

SirPlasmalot

Freedom! Member
Mar 5, 2015
Texas
YouTube
SirPlasmalot
- Pretty much, the music was great to help people understand that this is meant to be all lighthearted and fun. Good job!

They look professionally made, and good quality no matter how big they get. The only thing is that I think they could use more visual variety.

Did you enjoy the commentary?
Yes, even though it did seem to be a little awkward at first. But as the video went on things got a little better, so I'd imagine your commentary will get more and more casual as the series goes on.

What was the most memorable moment for you?
"GG WE SCREWED UP"

Yes, it was the perfect length for a Minecraft series. In my opinion it was, at least.

Just more casual commentary, but that's something that will naturally improve with time.

Pretty much, just slightly abrupt. But overall it was just fine.

Do you want to watch more of this series?
Me personally, nah. I don't watch Minecraft YouTubers, even though I play the game myself. But I feel like people who are REALLY into Minecraft would want to watch it! The shenanigans would most definitely bring viewers back.

Somewhere around 7-8:00 GMT.

Video Quality -- 09/10
Audio Quality -- 06/10 (For the girl.) 08/10 (For You.)
Content -- 07/10
Commentary -- 05-7/10
Overall -- 07/10