Movement in VR

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
Ive been playing a bit of Virtual Reality with the HTC Vive latly, and all the games were very comfortable to play...

But then last night I tried Windlands. Windlands incorperates rapid movement, huge floaty jumps, and grappling hooks you can swing with.

Now I didnt get motion sickness but I could totally see it happening to people. While flying around, its so convincing that it really messes with your mind.

I felt like a drunk who couldent keep his balance lol... my legs involuntarily wanting to stop me or catch my fall somehow. Not to mention falling from great heights was really creepy. Being afrain of heights my brain was like, "what the hell are you doing? Stop it! Whyyyyyyyyy?!?!?!"

It was really weird experience...
And even though it felt so jarring, I will be playing it again cause its alot of fun...

Kinda like riding a roller coaster...

Fourth Wall Games

A Sarcastic Brit
Aug 17, 2014
London, UK
youtube.com
YouTube
If it has tricked your brain then it has done its job right! It engrossed you so much your brain couldn't tell what was a game and what was not.

The only games that will probably induce motion sickness are the ones with a controller to move about, as your brain will think you are moving but your body will say no and so it messes with your equilibrium.

Prilixy

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jul 6, 2015
YouTube
Nice you got a htc vive? im currently trying to play my phone vr on my pc i have played some dayz with it (video on my channel) but you can see the edges on the screen so it isn't that immersive. Does the htc vive really makes you feel in-game?

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
Nice you got a htc vive? im currently trying to play my phone vr on my pc i have played some dayz with it (video on my channel) but you can see the edges on the screen so it isn't that immersive. Does the htc vive really makes you feel in-game?
Its totally on a completly different level of immersion. The room tracking and controllers make a big difference. The 3d is amazing, you dont feel like your looking at a screen at all, it feels like you can see forever and objects actually look solid in the forground, and the depth is perfect. You can perfectly tell how far things are away from you in the third dimension.

On top of that you have haptics in the controllers so you feel the world interact with you through that, which increases the immersion as well. Plus using the headphones is an important part of the experience as well, it further surrounds your senses in the virtual world.

One time I actually fell on my back cause a monster was ripping through my ceiling and i leaned back too far in my attempt to flee.

Playing the Vive is the most fun Ive ever had playing video games...