Microphone trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vϟlt

Aug 24, 2015
YouTube
Firstly I just want to say sorry if I post this thread in the wrong area. I am not the greatest in that area but I would really love some help, as I've been having this problem for ages.

I've been using Action! for quite a bit, I haven't uploaded it as I've had this error, but it has had really good quality in my opinion which made me stick to it. This has also been the same for other recording programs on the internet as well.

I have supplied you all with a video of what my problem is, and I will be giving an explanation of what I need help under it.

If you hear in the video, it has a very loud noise on the background. I'm not great at microphone stuff, but that's the reason I am here as well. I know what the problem is, and there is a possible fix, but I'd rather have the way they are. I have a computer (my computer) around a good 90cm away from the microphone and it is the microphone picking up. I don't want it to.

I've also purchased a microphone filter and placed it like this (image included.)
In case if you can't see, my filter hangs from a microphone stand, and my microphone that I use is behind it. Trust me, it's a good quality microphone despite its size.

Any help by any chance?

Thanks,
Liam

(Thread moved to Recording Equipment)

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Kidd

Human Person
Freedom! Member
Dec 10, 2014
Ottawa
YouTube
Firstly I just want to say sorry if I post this thread in the wrong area. I am not the greatest in that area but I would really love some help, as I've been having this problem for ages.

I've been using Action! for quite a bit, I haven't uploaded it as I've had this error, but it has had really good quality in my opinion which made me stick to it. This has also been the same for other recording programs on the internet as well.

I have supplied you all with a video of what my problem is, and I will be giving an explanation of what I need help under it.

If you hear in the video, it has a very loud noise on the background. I'm not great at microphone stuff, but that's the reason I am here as well. I know what the problem is, and there is a possible fix, but I'd rather have the way they are. I have a computer (my computer) around a good 90cm away from the microphone and it is the microphone picking up. I don't want it to.

I've also purchased a microphone filter and placed it like this (image included.)
In case if you can't see, my filter hangs from a microphone stand, and my microphone that I use is behind it. Trust me, it's a good quality microphone despite its size.

Any help by any chance?

Thanks,
Liam
I think this should go in the 'Technology' section, but regardless, I think I know your issue (though it would be nice if you could tell us what kind of mic you have)

If you have a condensor, then these pick up sounds from around the whole room (even neighbors) regardless of how far away they are. That's just how sensitive large diaphram mics are. My mic isn't even pointed at my computer which is under my desk, but it still picks up lots of fan noise.

Pop filters don't remove background noise. They only filter out loud consonant noises your mouth makes like when you use the letter P or T and release a quick puff of air.

The best way to deal with this is to just use background noise removal in post through a program like Audacity. Alternatively, if your CPU is good enough, you can do live filtering with Adobe Audition.

Vϟlt

Aug 24, 2015
YouTube
I think this should go in the 'Technology' section, but regardless, I think I know your issue (though it would be nice if you could tell us what kind of mic you have)

If you have a condensor, then these pick up sounds from around the whole room (even neighbors) regardless of how far away they are. That's just how sensitive large diaphram mics are. My mic isn't even pointed at my computer which is under my desk, but it still picks up lots of fan noise.

Pop filters don't remove background noise. They only filter out loud consonant noises your mouth makes like when you use the letter P or T and release a quick puff of air.

The best way to deal with this is to just use background noise removal in post through a program like Audacity. Alternatively, if your CPU is good enough, you can do live filtering with Adobe Audition.
Honestly, I don't know what brand it is. I picked it up from my father's and it's great with good use. Oh, and thanks for noticing my mistake, again a total noob at the audio topic.

Thank you for the suggestions though! I'll see if that can help :p

Regards,
Liam

NannerAirCraft

Freedom! Member
Feb 15, 2015
YouTube
NannerManCan
As what Phil said the pop filter won't help remove background noise. You can use audacity for noise removal and see if that helps. And it would be good to know what brand the mic is because the mic could be the problem and you just need a higher quality one.

Phil Kidd

Human Person
Freedom! Member
Dec 10, 2014
Ottawa
YouTube
Olympus ME-32 Compact Zoom Microphone, I also have the BTSK BM-700 which doesn't really improve much, sadly.
A 'better' condensor microphone won't filter out background noise. They are meant to be used in studio settings which have no background noise to begin with, so the more expensive the mic is, the more sensitive it is usually. My mic is a $300 one. Removing the background noise is all that you can do, or use a omni-directional headphone mic. Some condenser mics will have an omni-directional setting as well, which helps a bit.

Vϟlt

Aug 24, 2015
YouTube
A 'better' condensor microphone won't filter out background noise. They are meant to be used in studio settings which have no background noise to begin with, so the more expensive the mic is, the more sensitive it is usually. My mic is a $300 one. Removing the background noise is all that you can do, or use a omni-directional headphone mic. Some condenser mics will have an omni-directional setting as well, which helps a bit.
Alright Phil, thanks a lot for the tips. Appreciate it a lot, (same with you Nanner).

Going to request a thread lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.