Making mistakes when recording commentary?

G

Gods of Odds

Do you every say a word wrong and then have to repeat it or say the wrong thing and then have to correct yourself? I'm just wondering that if you do then do you just restart the whole recording/video or do you just correct yourself and carry on? Sometimes when I record I might say something wrong but then correct myself while midway or straight after.

Alkaline Martin

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 17, 2015
Scotland
YouTube
When it comes to making mistakes in saying some words, if its at the very begining of the video then i will redo it hoping i get it correct, however through out the rest of the video i just correct myself (if i can) and then move on. I will always try and correct myself instead of restarting as from a really young age i have had a speech impediment where i can not pronounce some letters, the worst candidate being the letter "R" and restarting every time i messed up due to a word i have difficulty saying would just be very inconvenient.

So i just try and correct myself (by saying it again slowly) hoping that it sounds right, and if i cant then i tend to just play it off and then utter the words "Well you know what i mean"

G

Gods of Odds

When it comes to making mistakes in saying some words, if its at the very begining of the video then i will redo it hoping i get it correct, however through out the rest of the video i just correct myself (if i can) and then move on. I will always try and correct myself instead of restarting as from a really young age i have had a speech impediment where i can not pronounce some letters, the worst candidate being the letter "R" and restarting every time i messed up due to a word i have difficulty saying would just be very inconvenient.

So i just try and correct myself (by saying it again slowly) hoping that it sounds right, and if i cant then i tend to just play it off and then utter the words "Well you know what i mean"
I know exactly how you feel, when I was younger I had very bad speech problems although it is a lot better now but of course sometimes I might still mess up a word especially if I try not to.

ekloo

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jun 16, 2016
YouTube
Well if I'm on the intro part, then I start over. Otherwise I try to correct myself and hope on the best. That's all what you can do. Just don't think to much trough it.

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Do you every say a word wrong and then have to repeat it or say the wrong thing and then have to correct yourself? I'm just wondering that if you do then do you just restart the whole recording/video or do you just correct yourself and carry on? Sometimes when I record I might say something wrong but then correct myself while midway or straight after.
Making mistakes is human, i have recorded some video's with commentary in where i also make mistakes and correct myself but i leave it be. It can always happen and nothing goes without failure and error.

MykieDoesStuff

Freedom! Member
Jul 28, 2016
YouTube
Agent_Proxy
I tend to screw up when talking. The best way to do commentary is to warm up a bit. Practice talking for at least 5 min. And get comfortable.

Just some tips that I figured out myself :p

BodaciousBrosGaming

Distinguished User
May 15, 2014
San Francisco, California
YouTube
Oh man, this happens to me like every single time I record xD I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks about making mistakes in commentaries, although after reading what everyone else had to say I think I'm the only one who just restarts when mistakes are made...

To be completely honest you all are doing the right thing. I'm just an idiot who's too self-conscious and closes Audacity too much :/ It's only natural to make mistakes and I think it's awesome that some of you guys just keep everything no matter what. That's about as natural as it gets :D - Brandon

Other Freedom Banner.jpg

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
I completely making mistakes is just part of the "fun". Especially doing live commentary over gameplay for example you can be forgiven if you mis-say a word or get something wrong, though with me I always try and correct it if I can though if I mess up badly enough, then I will re-record the whole commentary.

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
Only for the intro do I start over. If I'm already a minute plus into the video though no I leave it in. Very few people are great at speaking well and viewers rarely expect you to be perfect.