Tips & Tricks Long videos vs. Short videos

NoDragonsPlz

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
May 11, 2015
United States
YouTube
A common issue I see is the issue of if a channel should do Longer videos or Shorter videos.
To that I say, it's really up to the individual, and I'll go into the details behind this.

Long videos can be fine, as long as you can find a way to keep the viewer engaged. For example, my Full Gameplay Commentaries on my channel experience good success because of the fact that I find a way to keep my subscribers engaged. The thing about Long videos is watch time is important for them to be promoted by Youtube. In general, long videos will likely have less watch time due to either viewers skipping around, or just not being interested enough to watch a full video.

Short videos are much easier to watch in a timespan, as a 5-7 min video doesn't require you to sit down and watch, but they generally require much more editing than long videos as long videos are usually ust raw footage. Short videos can do worse if proper editing is not put in place, but if they do well, they can get sometimes double the views of your long content (perhaps even more).

Hope this let you weigh the pros and cons of Long vs. Short videos. In summary, do what you feel is best for your channel, and your style!

KrazyK Gaming

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jul 30, 2015
Southern California
YouTube
My experience with Long vs Short videos...

RizenGaming

Rising User
Feb 11, 2016
YouTube
A common issue I see is the issue of if a channel should do Longer videos or Shorter videos.
To that I say, it's really up to the individual, and I'll go into the details behind this.

Long videos can be fine, as long as you can find a way to keep the viewer engaged. For example, my Full Gameplay Commentaries on my channel experience good success because of the fact that I find a way to keep my subscribers engaged. The thing about Long videos is watch time is important for them to be promoted by Youtube. In general, long videos will likely have less watch time due to either viewers skipping around, or just not being interested enough to watch a full video.

Short videos are much easier to watch in a timespan, as a 5-7 min video doesn't require you to sit down and watch, but they generally require much more editing than long videos as long videos are usually ust raw footage. Short videos can do worse if proper editing is not put in place, but if they do well, they can get sometimes double the views of your long content (perhaps even more).

Hope this let you weigh the pros and cons of Long vs. Short videos. In summary, do what you feel is best for your channel, and your style!
Short videos definitly take most of your time. I edited a 5-7 minute long video on my channel for 3 days until I posted it, just because it was shorter and needed more caring to.

KrazyK Gaming

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jul 30, 2015
Southern California
YouTube
Short videos definitly take most of your time. I edited a 5-7 minute long video on my channel for 3 days until I posted it, just because it was shorter and needed more caring to.

A whole 3 days? Wow. I generally just sit down and edit 2-3 videos in a row. Takes me a couple of hours for each one and generally by the time I'm done, I just go for a walk and get some fresh air for a while.

RizenGaming

Rising User
Feb 11, 2016
YouTube
A whole 3 days? Wow. I generally just sit down and edit 2-3 videos in a row. Takes me a couple of hours for each one and generally by the time I'm done, I just go for a walk and get some fresh air for a while.
Ah for that particullar video I was having computer problems as well and I was just learning how to use Adobe After Effects lol