Tips & Tricks Just some tips for getting started on Youtube (SEO)

tActhImo

Respected User
Apr 19, 2016
YouTube
First of I want to say that I am in no way an expert when it comes to this, but I do have some experience.

I have had several channels and no they weren't unsuccessful they actually were. I just lost motivation after some time, anyway let's get to the point of this post; optimizing your SEO (looks complicated but isn't).

When you are an beginning youtuber the thing you want to to achieve is exposure, getting more people to watch your videos so your channel can grow. I see many youtubers not using tags, descriptions or effective titles and thumbnails and that is a shame.

1. Advertising

You are all probably like: No I don't want to advertise my channel. But if you do it the right way then it can be very effective. There are forums like this one on which you can promote your videos and I highly recommend you use them. Search up forums regarding the game or topic of your video and promote your video there. IF it is allowed there. Also use reddit (Careful though). But I would not advise to comment on other people's videos to advertise as this is just very annoying.

2. SEO (Tags, titles, description, thumbnails)
First thing you want to do is come up with a good title. One way to do this is to use google adwords's Keyword Searcher. This gives you the amount of times people search a particle word or phrase. With the help of this you want to set up a title that represents the content of the video but is also attractive and widely searched by people. One example is this video I made on my old channel:

In the title you can read what the content is about and the title also contains important keywords like: Battlefield 1 multiplayer.

Now lets move onto tags. Always use tags and use all available space. Use google adwords and youtube itself to find keywords that are widely searched and relevant to your content. For example type into youtube search: Battlefield 1. And see what suggestions pop up and put the ones relevant to your video into the tags. Now type in Battlefield 1 gameplay and see what pops up now and use this to specify your video a bit more. Use google adwords to get the search volume on the keywords to prioritize which ones to use and which ones not to use.

Now that you have some solid tags, use these tags in your description. As seen in my example video's description I have typed quite the story there. Write about some over all info of what the video is about and use the keywords you used in the tags. This way youtube knows what the video is about and can use this. Write long paragraphs using good keywords to attract more traffic to your video.

And finally your thumbnail. Now not everyone has photoshop or whatever but there are some good FREE programs out there to use. Thumbnails are what mostly decide if a person clicks o your video or someone else's so you want to make them stand out AND be attractive. It is also handy to have your own style so that further on in your "career" people will recognize your videos by your thumbnail. I suggest using semi-big text reflecting the title and also ofcourse some blurred out background so the focus is on the text.

So to sum it up: use google adwords keyword searcher and youtube to find good keywords to use in your tags, description and title. use these keywords in your description and you can make it long. Youtube needs to read the description not the people watching. Don't just copy and paste your tags in there though. And make your thumbnails attractive and informing.

I have recently started a new channel and by using these tactics I have been able to get 15 subs and quite some views in a very short amount of time.

Reactions: Shadlynx

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
First of I want to say that I am in no way an expert when it comes to this, but I do have some experience.

I have had several channels and no they weren't unsuccessful they actually were. I just lost motivation after some time, anyway let's get to the point of this post; optimizing your SEO (looks complicated but isn't).

When you are an beginning youtuber the thing you want to to achieve is exposure, getting more people to watch your videos so your channel can grow. I see many youtubers not using tags, descriptions or effective titles and thumbnails and that is a shame.

1. Advertising

You are all probably like: No I don't want to advertise my channel. But if you do it the right way then it can be very effective. There are forums like this one on which you can promote your videos and I highly recommend you use them. Search up forums regarding the game or topic of your video and promote your video there. IF it is allowed there. Also use reddit (Careful though). But I would not advise to comment on other people's videos to advertise as this is just very annoying.

2. SEO (Tags, titles, description, thumbnails)
First thing you want to do is come up with a good title. One way to do this is to use google adwords's Keyword Searcher. This gives you the amount of times people search a particle word or phrase. With the help of this you want to set up a title that represents the content of the video but is also attractive and widely searched by people. One example is this video I made on my old channel:

In the title you can read what the content is about and the title also contains important keywords like: Battlefield 1 multiplayer.

Now lets move onto tags. Always use tags and use all available space. Use google adwords and youtube itself to find keywords that are widely searched and relevant to your content. For example type into youtube search: Battlefield field. And see what suggestions pop up and put the ones relevant to your video into the tags. Now type in Battlefield 1 gameplay and see what pops up now and use this to specify your video a bit more. Use google adwords to get the search volume on the keywords to prioritize which ones to use and which ones not to use.

Now that you have some solid tags, use these tags in your description. As seen in my example video's description I have typed quite the story there. Write about some over all info of what the video is about and use the keywords you used in the tags. This way youtube knows what the video is about and can use this. Write long paragraphs using good keywords to attract more traffic to your video.

And finally your thumbnail. Now not everyone has photoshop or whatever but there are some good FREE programs out there to use. Thumbnails are what mostly decide if a person clicks o your video or someone else's so you want to make them stand out AND be attractive. It is also handy to have your own style so that further on in your "career" people will recognize your videos by your thumbnail. I suggest using semi-big text reflecting the title and also ofcourse some blurred out background so the focus is on the text.

So to sum it up: use google adwords keyword searcher and youtube to find good keywords to use in your tags, description and title. use these keywords in your description and you can make it long. Youtube needs to read the description not the people watching. Don't just copy and paste your tags in there though. And make your thumbnails attractive and informing.

I have recently started a new channel and by using these tactics I have been able to get 15 subs and quite some views in a very short amount of time.
Nice Guide!

Reactions: tActhImo