Just some Friendly Advice

LightInADarkRoom

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jul 24, 2014
YouTube
Now this is my opinion especially if your doing commentary. Now I respect all youtubers and the way they do things but, for us smaller youtubers aspiring to be big someday need to stop trying to be like other youtubers. I see so many in this freedom community who try to copy another youtubers style be it intro, thumbnails, outro, commentating style, and equipment. Now as far as equipment goes you know your bound to have used the same equipment as others that can't be helped but, what I mean by that is you don't have to have the biggest baddest and best recording equipment out on the market all you need is adecent computer and one the is capable of handling whatever device you choose to record with a quality mic and a recording device that can record in HD seeing that is the standard now. One turn off to a lot of people and I've asked before is if your showing off a gameplay or clip or something you constantly talk through the whole entire thing. You know if your showing off the gameplay or clip then it needs to be the focus of attention not you talking through out the whole thing. Nobody wants to hear you talk about how your about to do this awesome super move and then you how you did it 1 second later. Another thing I have been noticing is intro's outro's and thumbnails I don't even know why is has to be explained but, if your trying to bring something knew to youtube then DO NOT ABSOLUTELY UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES USE THE SAME THUMBNAILS, INTRO'S, AND OUTRO'S nobody will watch you channel and another thing your intro to a call of duty video does not have to have dubstep in it either you need something that's yours when your making these videos be proud of your OWN work not somebody else's. Use annotations to keep people on your channel give people a taste of what there in for dhow them that your channel is worth watching and be consistant with your uploads! This is just some advice take it how you feel and hopefully it was helpful to you all

Peace Out!

MentalGnat

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 26, 2015
England, UK
YouTube
MentalGnat
Nice advice, basically you have said what I say to people in real life, don't try and be someone else, just be yourself as people will like you more if you are yourself, but won't if you live a lie your whole life trying to be someone else.

That is what you bassically saying, me myself I just do whatever I want and if people like it, fair enough but if people don't like it then yet again fair enough.

LightInADarkRoom

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jul 24, 2014
YouTube
Nice advice, basically you have said what I say to people in real life, don't try and be someone else, just be yourself as people will like you more if you are yourself, but won't if you live a lie your whole life trying to be someone else.

That is what you bassically saying, me myself I just do whatever I want and if people like it, fair enough but if people don't like it then yet again fair enough.
Pretty much yes! To many fame people on youtube trying to be something their not instead if you be your self like you said your audience will naturally like you for you

MentalGnat

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 26, 2015
England, UK
YouTube
MentalGnat
Yep, I honestly see no point in acting like someone else, it just seems to get boring and tiredsome I think is the word. Acting like someone else also means well you run out of ideas, but being yourself means you could just pull a surpise out of your pocket for your audiance, and as my friends say I always full of suprises so I always interesting, I never see it myself but yea...

But anyway I won't drag this on to much, but I these days you do see a lot of YouTubers act like other YouTubers and it just get's boring.

But like I said fantasic advice and also about equitment, just do what I did, research it a little then just buy the parts and put them togeather, then hope that you didn't break anything while trying to get your CPU fan in place and turn it on. I never even look at what other people had for specs, I just did my research on what was best for what I wanted and what my budget was. and you know what, it is the best PC I ever had, I built it myself and it works better then any PC I ever brought.

Edit: Also with MICs and stuff, well yet again research is key though with my headset I just brought a cheap one, works fantasic and I got a Blue Snowball Mic which does it's job. No need to think oh that YouTuber has this £200 mic, I need to get it, I spent £60 on my headset and mic, works just as good.

LightInADarkRoom

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jul 24, 2014
YouTube
Yep, I honestly see no point in acting like someone else, it just seems to get boring and tiredsome I think is the word. Acting like someone else also means well you run out of ideas, but being yourself means you could just pull a surpise out of your pocket for your audiance, and as my friends say I always full of suprises so I always interesting, I never see it myself but yea...

But anyway I won't drag this on to much, but I these days you do see a lot of YouTubers act like other YouTubers and it just get's boring.

But like I said fantasic advice and also about equitment, just do what I did, research it a little then just buy the parts and put them togeather, then hope that you didn't break anything while trying to get your CPU fan in place and turn it on. I never even look at what other people had for specs, I just did my research on what was best for what I wanted and what my budget was. and you know what, it is the best PC I ever had, I built it myself and it works better then any PC I ever brought.
Yes! I built my own pc also but I built mine a little higher than what's required for youtube due to the fact that I am studying for game design so I need the extra juice. Lol[DOUBLEPOST=1450371184][/DOUBLEPOST]
This is super duper helpful I also have a question when trying to figure out your own style what would you suggest to a small YouTuber to get a little more recognization?
Hey frosty what I recommend for you is to get a better mic I see your just starting out which is cool your in the learning stage! So get a better mic and work on your commentary a little bit and go from there your personality in it's self will help you grow don't change it! Lol

MentalGnat

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 26, 2015
England, UK
YouTube
MentalGnat
Yea, tbh I only got a I5 and a GTX 960 and it's still more then I need for YouTube, but what I do find is that a lot of people buy computers from a stores which I have always found the build qaulity is terrible, but if you build your own PC's just seem so much better.

I also currently making my own game, though it's a 2D game so I don't really need the power that you would need if you was making a 3D game but even so if I was to make a 3D game my computer would handle it.

But game design eh, sounds fun, I never did a game design course so I kinda a noob when it comes to scripting, I did a html course and some other stuff though.

LightInADarkRoom

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jul 24, 2014
YouTube
Thanks for the advice I will take it to heart but can I add one more thing don't feel shy with working with others and trying something new.
Agreed! Speaking of that I was just started a new channel branching off of this one and I tried to collab with somebody and they didn't want to collab because I have no subs I was like oh wow! Ok well then! Don't be that type of person just because you have more subs than the next person because you never know who might become famous and being evil will make you lose out on an opportunity to be next[DOUBLEPOST=1450376622][/DOUBLEPOST]
Some great advice and indeed a true story thst many people think that playing copycat will get them somewhere....
Thanks for taking the time to share this advice :)
Your Welcome :D

SacredEdge

Freedom! Member
Sep 21, 2015
Japan
YouTube
Touché my friend.. Touché..
Even if my plan (based on my introduction) is obviously inspired by them, and i can guarranteed that majority of people might turned away from me due to other people on the internet think that i plagriasm the other big youtubers..

Anthomnia

Jul 14, 2015
YouTube
I disagree with this post. I use the same thumbnail template, Intro and outro for the fact of branding so when people recognize the intro / thumbnail they know it's my content so if they like it they will be more inclined to watch mine VS some other content.

Second, People like to keep things familiar and like to come back to similar things, Markipiler and Pewdiepie are perfect examples of the same intro working every time, It's unique to them.

Third, Recording equipment should be a top priority. You can't expect to make video content that's high quality using a 20$ mic VS a bigger youtuber's 200$ mic, If your quality is NOT there, Then your subscribers and views will reflect that. As for me, I went all in on a great mic setup. It ran me 600$ But it's working out in the long run because my channel is growing fast and i have high audience retention.

And finally, If people talk alot during their commentary and you tell them not to then your going against the whole statement of be yourself. If talking alot and engaging the audience is how you are naturally then be YOU.

Reactions: LightInADarkRoom

LightInADarkRoom

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jul 24, 2014
YouTube
I disagree with this post. I use the same thumbnail template, Intro and outro for the fact of branding so when people recognize the intro / thumbnail they know it's my content so if they like it they will be more inclined to watch mine VS some other content.

Well I did say like other youtubers I didnt say never use the same intro thumbnails or something that's yours! Branding is of course important

Second, People like to keep things familiar and like to come back to similar things, Markipiler and Pewdiepie are perfect examples of the same intro working every time, It's unique to them.

Yeah that's true and fine but you should never use somebody else's you can get inspiration from them but don't replicate.

Third, Recording equipment should be a top priority. You can't expect to make video content that's high quality using a 20$ mic VS a bigger youtuber's 200$ mic, If your quality is NOT there, Then your subscribers and views will reflect that. As for me, I went all in on a great mic setup. It ran me 600$ But it's working out in the long run because my channel is growing fast and i have high audience retention.

And finally, If people talk alot during their commentary and you tell them not to then your going against the whole statement of be yourself. If talking alot and engaging the audience is how you are naturally then be YOU.

Hey that's you but for people who are on a budget or just starting out don't have a job or having their parents buy it then a decent blue snowball mic WILL suffice and to back that statement up look at tetra ninja and pewdiepie they both used the blue snowball when first starting out and look where they are at now. You DON'T need the highest equipment when your starting out on youtube but you DO need a decent mic nobody is going to expect a new youtuber to have the best as in your case $600 mic or even $200 mic you know now by all means I do agree with you on this. Now when I said you don't need to talk all the time I also said when your showing off a clip so if your showing off this amazing trick shot right? I come see this trick shot but I hear you telling me hear comes the trick shot and then you also tell how you just did the trickshot is what I was getting at and the fact that if your showing something off that you need to be more aware that your video should be the center of attention of what your showing not you trying to do a filibuster. Now if you talk through out your videos then you can go ahead and do it as I said before I respect all youtubers and their choices but alot of people do it just to copy another youtuber. So thats why I said but hey again you do have extremely valid points though so no disrespect at all meant[DOUBLEPOST=1450905617][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hey that's you but for people who are on a budget or just starting out don't have a job or having their parents buy it then a decent blue snowball mic WILL suffice and to back that statement up look at tetra ninja and pewdiepie they both used the blue snowball when first starting out and look where they are at now. You DON'T need the highest equipment when your starting out on youtube but you DO need a decent mic nobody is going to expect a new youtuber to have the best as in your case $600 mic or even $200 mic you know now by all means I do agree with you on this. Now when I said you don't need to talk all the time I also said when your showing off a clip so if your showing off this amazing trick shot right? I come see this trick shot but I hear you telling me hear comes the trick shot and then you also tell how you just did the trickshot is what I was getting at and the fact that if your showing something off that you need to be more aware that your video should be the center of attention of what your showing not you trying to do a filibuster. Now if you talk through out your videos then you can go ahead and do it as I said before I respect all youtubers and their choices but alot of people do it just to copy another youtuber. So thats why I said but hey again you do have extremely valid points though so no disrespect at all meant
Forgot to put that obviously high quality recording is a must 720 is good 1080 obviously better but still kudos to this person I did like what he said and the fact that he dis agreed

Reactions: Anthomnia