Is YouTube a Legal Job?

Chromenized

Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2016
YouTube
ChromenizedYT
Hello everyone. I was researching this topic a bit, and could not find any answers, but I was wondering if YouTube was considered a legal job. I heard it isn't, but I don't know.

Smoothly

Rising User
Feb 21, 2016
YouTube
Hello everyone. I was researching this topic a bit, and could not find any answers, but I was wondering if YouTube was considered a legal job. I heard it isn't, but I don't know.
Is not a legal job, is more like a Career and it depends, if you are smart you can make money from Youtube and invest in something or you can pay your pension monthly or something like that .

EDIT.
But, if you are popular you can make enough money to live after you stop Youtube.

EDIT 2.
I hope so. Cause I'm counting on this. I am still trying to figure out how you would do taxes with YouTube.
Don't do it for money.

SimmieAutomatic

Jan 31, 2015
YouTube
Is not a legal job, is more like a Career and it depends, if you are smart you can make money from Youtube and invest in something or you can pay your pension monthly or something like that .

EDIT.
But, if you are popular you can make enough money to live after you stop Youtube.

EDIT 2.

Don't do it for money.

I'm not doing this for money. I am very creative and enjoy what I do.

Jdlikefood

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 17, 2016
YouTube
There isn't really anything that qualifies a job as legal, except for jobs that obviously break the law, like drug dealing and such. As long as you are paying your taxes, it's legal.

I hope so. Cause I'm counting on this. I am still trying to figure out how you would do taxes with YouTube.
YouTube, or your network, along with any companies that pay you for brand deals and things will all send you tax forms, I think they are 1099s to report your earnings just like any other job would send you like a W-2, you can then take these to a tax professional (which is recommended when you are self employed like on YouTube) or you can try and do them yourself. Because you are self employed, you are going to get hit with a self employment tax, and because YouTube/your network doesn't take taxes out for you, you are going to end up paying a lot more in taxes than a someone working a regular job. In order to avoid a huge loss in the first part of the year, a lot of people that are self employed pay estimated quarterly taxes so they can spread the cost over the entire year and have less to pay at tax time in April.

Chromenized

Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2016
YouTube
ChromenizedYT
There isn't really anything that qualifies a job as legal, except for jobs that obviously break the law, like drug dealing and such. As long as you are paying your taxes, it's legal.

YouTube, or your network, along with any companies that pay you for brand deals and things will all send you tax forms, I think they are 1099s to report your earnings just like any other job would send you like a W-2, you can then take these to a tax professional (which is recommended when you are self employed like on YouTube) or you can try and do them yourself. Because you are self employed, you are going to get hit with a self employment tax, and because YouTube/your network doesn't take taxes out for you, you are going to end up paying a lot more in taxes than a someone working a regular job. In order to avoid a huge loss in the first part of the year, a lot of people that are self employed pay estimated quarterly taxes so they can spread the cost over the entire year and have less to pay at tax time in April.
Very helpful. Thanks.

Smithy5000

May 13, 2016
Newcastle
YouTube
Doing youtube would class you as self employed, any money you make from it you need to declare it and possibly pay tax on it if you have earned enough.