Tips & Tricks Is social media necessary when starting out?

SleepySloth

New User
Apr 28, 2016
YouTube
So I am still pretty new to YouTube and I am loving it but many of my friends have been saying that I should make a Twitter or Facebook page. Is this actually a necessary part of growth early on? I always saw it as a better way to get in touch with fans.

Fourth Wall Games

A Sarcastic Brit
Aug 17, 2014
London, UK
youtube.com
YouTube
Not at all, it helps but is not all that important. Until you have a few thousand subs, it is more than likely that very very few would join your social media. Also so many other people spam their videos onto social media that your will most likely never be discovered.

Social media is good if you use it for what it is meant for, being social. Don't advertise your channel, just gain a following by being social, then eventually you can begin to link the 2 things together.

Reactions: SleepySloth

TheCookieWolf

Respected User
Oct 24, 2015
YouTube
So I am still pretty new to YouTube and I am loving it but many of my friends have been saying that I should make a Twitter or Facebook page. Is this actually a necessary part of growth early on? I always saw it as a better way to get in touch with fans.
In my opinion: probably yes.
Whatever the topic your channel is, people could be in contact with you and know about your likes and about what are you thinking therefore people could agree on watching you more often because they feel that they are in touch with you in a way, obviously you MUST not put real personal stuff on your medias that you are putting on the line of the viewers

Jac Morton

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 19, 2016
UK, West Yorkshire
YouTube
shotonwhite

It depends on you as a person, I use twitter as it is a great way to advertise my videos and join in conversations about gaming while I am out and about. If I am sat I my desk I get stuck in with the forums, hitting up indie game forums and other youtube related ones.

Do what comes naturally to you rather than spreading yourself too thin trying to grow a channel and a twitter/facebook account.