YouTube Is it bad to have multiple channels?

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
This can depend on many different things, and especially on the content creator, and what you are trying to achieve with those channels. If you are just focusing on one things with each of your channels and marketing them to that specific audience then yes it would make sense to have them separate. Though that does also mean your going to be doing twice the amount of work, advertising and promoting two different channels

Reactions: KeithExplores

KeithExplores

Freedom! Member
Is it bad to have multiple channels with each one a different topic, or is it better to have one channel for everything?
I've done this, quite simply because my first channel was dedicated to Travel by my username, so it made no sense to have unrelated videos on that channel with that username. So I created a second channel with an appropriate username for both types of content. And picking an appropriate username is vital if you plan on branding, and having a selected audience for said channel IMO. If that makes sense?

Mix3rz

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 25, 2016
YouTube
I would say it's ok to have more than one but if you have maybe 3 or 4 channels and they are not being worked on then its kinda pointless and there is no need for it, I see people dedicate a single channel to a game and then the other one being what ever they want it to be as it makes the fun side for them, Its all personal preference really.

TheGaminCentral

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
YouTube
Its not bad to have multiple channels....If u can handle all of them then yea its great for you but if u can't then it will be bad for all channels because u won't be making good videos as u will be having issues handling these channels
It totally depends upon you....

KryptoknightOfficial

Rising User
Apr 20, 2017
KnightsKrypted
No it ain't any bad idea if u can manage them all but if you'r unable u can also give different geners of video on a different channel.
For example:- if it is a gaming channel you can add music videos or software videos b adding different tags on the video

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
No it ain't any bad idea if u can manage them all but if you'r unable u can also give different geners of video on a different channel.
For example:- if it is a gaming channel you can add music videos or software videos b adding different tags on the video
Well as long as the tags you add are relevant to that content, I.e not adding music tags to a gaming video, otherwise you might find yourself on the wrong side of YouTube's metadata breach.

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Thanks for correcting my suggestion and sorry for a bad one
There are no such thing as bad suggestions. also don't mention it, just wanted to make sure that everyone is aware to keep tags relevant to the videos otherwise this could lead to trouble with YouTube as they seem to be cracking down on metadata abuses recently

Y

YourSimpleGamer

Having multiple channel in my opinion would be bad, although later down the road you can expand with another one and maybe have a friend or buisnesss partner work on it.

Flex Bormarr

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Apr 13, 2015
Iowa
YouTube
Depends on the differences, I have a channel for music and a channel for gaming (that I don't upload much to anymore)

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
I'd say it's better to have multiple channels where they are focused on a particular subject. Especially starting out when people are subscribing because of the content rather than the person creating it. If I was watching a gaming channel and they start doing vlogs it can be quite annoying.

Only problem with multiple channels it could be hard to manage and be active across them all.

LtGeneralStore

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
YouTube
LtGeneralStore
I think having more than one channel is a good idea for different genres. I do mainly gaming but I've thought of trying to start another channel where I do videos about important days in history. The biggest thing you have to worry about is not nelecting one channel for the other.