Ikerot

Anime Enthusiast
Freedom! Member
Oct 13, 2014
California
www.youtube.com
YouTube
IkerotDea
Hey, I'm here to offer channel reviews. I'll be looking at your banner, logo, and the about page for your channel and then your video quality and description.

I'll only take 3 - 5 at a time so I won't be overwhelmed. Please don't reply if you see -[CLOSED]- (although I know some of you will because you don't read, in which case, I won't be doing yours even when I open lol)

Disclaimer: Take what I say with a grain of salt. I also really like to write (emphasis on writing).

-[CLOSED]-

Template (for me)

Banner & Logo
:
About Page:
Thumbnails:
Mic Quality:
Channel Trailer:
Video Description:
Overall:

Last edited:
Reactions: rustprairian

Ikerot

Anime Enthusiast
Freedom! Member
Oct 13, 2014
California
www.youtube.com
YouTube
IkerotDea
I'd like one very much please :D thanks in advance!
Hey dude. I've actually seen your channel 6 months ago lol. Not a fan of CoD but I appreciate the dedication. Anyways, let's get to it.

Banner & Logo: I like your banner & logo. It's real colorful and I like how they match. Though I don't feel it truly explains what your channel is about (same could be said for me). Also, is it me or does it look off-centered? >.>

About Page: I see that the about page has been taken up by specs and social links lol. Specs is alright for people who are interested, but you've already got your social links plastered all over your channel. No need for it to be here as well. Give a bit of info on why you started or your passion in general. It's an about page for your channel, not the info page (even if they do seem similar).

Example of a nice about page:

Thumbnails: Hah! I remember your thumbnails from 6 months ago. An improvement from then. I do see the reuse of facial expressions. It's not as spectacular when you see that and it makes it more of a lazy work. At least get one where you're wearing the same clothes as in the video (talk about false advertising >.> /sarcasm/). Again, the same with your banner, the thumbnail sometimes doesn't explain what the video is. Take this one for example:
I have no idea what those arrows are pointing at. If I were to see this in my recommendation after finishing a video (you know... the one where it just shows the thumbnails and you gotta hover your mouse over it to show the text?), I still wouldn't have any idea why you would yell finally.

Actually, now that I'm looking at these thumbnails more. I just realized it's just you slapped on top of another pic (the CoD one I'll excuse and disregarding the ones before Aug 4th).

Eh. Still looks better than most people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mic Quality: First thing is not about the mic quality, but it's about your intro. It's giving me flashbacks to all those loud dubstep 3D intros and then it goes down by 10 levels of quietness. That is essentially what most of your latest videos seem to be doing. I don't think you need an intro. An opener would be fine.

You don't sound close (most especially with your video "GOT MY HANDS ON THE HG-40!!") or you might have the gain real low. However, your video "(HOW TO) ROUND 4 PACK-A-PUNCH in Shadows of Evil!" is fine. It's not too far and it's not clipping. Is it because you're not on facecam so you're more close to the mic or...?

I do have to say that when I did raise up the volume, I ended up listening to your videos w/o realizing. You do have a soothing voice to listen to.

Channel Trailer: I've seen it before and I still like it now. However, it has the same problem with what I've said in Mic Quality. The music is loud, but the commentary is not. Are you just showing us that you're playing a game or are you trying to hook us in with your commentary?

Video Description: This ties in with your titles as well. Remember to put in the game(s) you're playing in the title because it helps with being searched up.

Are you using TubeBuddy or VidIQ for your tags? I know BO3 might be a bit of a competitive pool, but with the right SEO, it certainly could help you rise in ranks. I know how SEO works but I'm not adept to explain it so here are two guides for you: This and that. And remember to check your tags every 3 ish months. Or was it every month? Eh. Around those time (1 - 3 months).

You've got your social links in your descriptions so that's good. Got your music credited too. Very nice. Although I don't know why you gotta say that it's been uploaded by you. Unless you're trying to tell me that there are multiple people inhabiting this channel >.>

Overall: A solid channel at first sight, but I can definitely see the problems you need to work on. You got a way better setup than I do that's for sure :p Continue on refining your channel, work on your SEO, and bring your content out into the social media (but not too much, because we don't want spammers).

JarredSinclairTV

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Mar 23, 2015
www.youtube.com
YouTube
Hi!

Thanks for the very comprehensive well-constructed review of my channel!

Thank you for all of those pointers :D I will admit that sometimes the About Me section is neglected due to me basically not really knowing what to say! Thanks for the example exert!

Hahah thanks, yeah I am falsely advertising! I actually lost my blue hoodie that I used to wear most of the time - thanks to my lovely puppy taking it as his chew toy.

Yeah still tweaking out my mic quality settings, for some reason my mic will be loud sometimes and then I’ll use it again and it will be substantially lower – which may just come down to the quality of the microphone itself. I am currently looking into getting a much better quality mic, or more than likely just need to get closer to the mic so I am looking at getting a longer, bigger Boom arm for my mic. Thanks for the complement on my voice - been told I have a voice made for the Radio hahah Yeah I am looking at removing that and just having an opener and just get straight into the videos.

Channel trailer is getting re-done, that was done when I first started posting videos and I am currently working on a couple of short films so I am working my way around to re-doing my channel trailer – just need to work out a balance of a full time job, YouTube, taking care of myself & spending time with my fiancé and puppy hahaha

Yeah I use, VidIQ for my tags and analytics - thanks for the links I'll check them out when I get home from work.

I also need to remove my Facebook link as the page doesn't exist anymore as I don't have a Facebook Account anymore.

Thank you so much for the review I really do appreciate it I will take everything you have said and work towards fixing my problem areas and refining the smaller details of my channel!

You’re an absolute legend! :D

Ikerot

Anime Enthusiast
Freedom! Member
Oct 13, 2014
California
www.youtube.com
YouTube
IkerotDea
I'd love one

Alright dude, before I get into it, I'd have to say that your content is certainly not for me. I'm not a big fan of groups mainly because it tend to make up of people who have bad mics or the group atmosphere is not something I'm a fond of. That said, I did watch a couple of your vids with more of a questioning expression than laughter.

Oh, I take that back, I did laugh at "CSGO - Shy Anime Girl (Counter Strike: Funny Moments)" but that's only because of the random and not the group itself >.> hm...

Banner & Logo: A clean but simple banner. The characters tell me what kind of games you play so that's pretty good. I'm not an expert with banners and logos so I wouldn't be able to tell you specific details of what you should do to improve on it. Though I'd have to ask how you came up with the logo. I don't really see a W, more of a spaceship from the wooden age of gaming lol.

About Page: It seems that your about page could use a bit of a makeover. It's nice to know a bit of a background with why you started (which you put) but also since you don't have it on your banner, you could always put your upload schedule... if you have one >.> If you don't, you should consider having one since it helps your subscribers know when to expect your videos because sometimes it might go unnoticed. Then you can say what kind of videos you do.

Example:

Thumbnails: Okay, I thought your thumbnails were decent and it was honestly just that. I didn't have anything else to say about it. So I asked two of my youtube buddies about it as well:

They have about the same opinion as me. It's okay, but it doesn't stick out from the rest of the thumbnails. What makes it so we should be clicking on yours instead of somebody else's who has the same looking thumbnail?

I do have to say that you've improved on your thumbnails, looking at the ones 6 months ago.

Mic Quality: Consider that this is a group channel and not an individual one, I have to talk about the mic quality of everybody in the video. Constant clippings when you guys scream and volume control is desperately needed. There are times when I can barely hear one of them because they're too soft and the game sound is too loud. An example of that would be in your "CSGO - Shy Anime Girl (Counter Strike: Funny Moments)" around the 1:50 mark.

I know you guys are having fun, but sometimes the fun is hard to translate in video, especially to the people who aren't in the group. Talking over each other is indeed something we often do by accident, but it should be something you should try to minimize just a tad. Sometimes it's better to let the audience understand what you're saying than it being a big pile of arguments.

I do have to say that the :45 mark of "GTA 5 - Bank Heist (Grand Theft Auto Online Heist Funny Moments)" was pretty good. Didn't make me laugh, but I appreciate it.

Channel Trailer: There isn't one. It is instead replaced with a best of moment. You should try for a channel trailer of under a minute or two. It helps newcomers know what you do and have a small glimpse of your videos. This would be more helpful than the 9 mins video since think about it? Do you really think someone will sit through this entire video without even know who you are?

Now, for sure, you can keep it until you make a channel trailer since it still does display some of your best content. I don't have a channel trailer lol and that's because I don't have enough content and ideas for one yet.

Video Description: Alright. There's a bit of cleaning up that needs to be done in the descriptions. First thing is the SEO. Remember that within the first 2 lines of your descriptions, the search will pick up the words. Don't try to overdo it like the people who put "GTA V FUNNY MOMENTS" five times in their descriptions because that's against youtube law. Don't overuse putting GTA 5 in every sentence too since that degrades the SEO.

If you haven't yet, you should get TubeBuddy or VidIQ. Then read up a bit more about SEO from these two guides: Here and Here. Since I'm terrible at explaining how they work. Now, these games you're playing is a competitive pool so it might be a bit difficult to rise in search rank.

But if you play your cards right and get enough attention through clever advertisement...

Also remember to check it every 1 - 3 months.

You credit the music source which is good. And... you... you got a merch? To some people, seeing a youtuber with 100 subs and a merch line can make it seem like you're being pretentious. I couldn't care less if you have one, but there are people who do care. That and I would say I prob wouldn't sell a shirt unless it was really cool. And I can't say that I would buy a shirt with your logo on it. If it was amazingly designed, I would buy it even if I wasn't a fan. Just a thought.

Have you tried goo.gl instead of bit.ly ;] might make it a bit less suspicious.

Overall:
The channel from outside looks good. Everything is decent. However, it's a bit of a mess once you get into the videos. I know you and your friends get excited but again, it might not translate into the video. I had a buddy of mine whose mic wasn't that great and she kept cutting out, I compensated that with text so people could at least read what she said and can get an understanding of it.

Volume control; make sure we can hear everybody. Get audio clipping to a minimum because it's not pleasant to the ears (try moving the mic farther away if you scream a lot).

Welp, I watched your RL vid and it was... enjoyable (where I could watch the whole video). Though I think that's because out of all the games, I played RL the most lol.

Ikerot

Anime Enthusiast
Freedom! Member
Oct 13, 2014
California
www.youtube.com
YouTube
IkerotDea

Hey dude. Another CoD player I see 8^) though you're more of a commentator kind of guy. Alright. Let's get to it.

Banner & Logo: What a smoothly blended (faded) background banner you got there. Then the font and effects on it are simple yet works well (also gives the viewer what your channel is about). A nice logo as well ( but it doesn't match the banner) :] On the other hand, it is almost template with how it resembles a lot of other channels. I'd keep it for a while, but should move on to a better, more original banner.

About Page: At this point, I would say the exact same thing, but why do that when I can refer to you the two previous reviews I've done above xD

I'm starting to think people don't think anybody will look at the about page ._. Well they're wrong! I do. Here's a more noticeable example:

Thumbnails: Again, it's the same with your banner. It's simple, it's nice to look at, and it tells the viewer what the video is going to be about. However, what makes you stand out with all the other CoD commentators? People do judge books by its covers so if they're not incline to click on your videos, how will you get your time to shine?

I do like your thumbnails for your Road to Flawless series. The colored corners give it a good staple of whose video this is and what series it's about.

Mic Quality: Why are your two latest Road to Flawless videos so quiet? Actually, the whole series is pretty quiet. Why is that? Especially the video you dubbed Dead Silence because I can barely hear you over the music and game sound; not because you didn't say much the entire video. Your other videos are audible.

Speaking of those videos, the quality of it is clear and I can hear you. I won't comment on your voice since it not that monotonous. It does sound like you're still adjusting to commentating. I said I won't comment but I did anyways. Lol.

Channel Trailer: There is none and instead it's replaced by your 300 subscriber special. Okay. Think to yourself. If you were a new viewer and you clicked on this channel and saw this video. Would you think, "Aaaw... how nice" or would you not care? I am slightly saying that I don't care... but if I really didn't care, I wouldn't have mentioned it. Anyways, certainly not the best video to put up front until you get your channel trailer out.

Video Description: Hey, it seems that you've got you SEO down for your Road to Flawless series :] For the tags, I mean. You should put more in the first two lines of you description since it will show up in search as well.

Quick question. What's up with the dislikes? You pissed somebody off and they happened to have 5 other channels? Or did you clickbaited them?

"70% Challenge! - Dead PS4? | Black Ops 50 Kills Challenge (Black Ops 1 Gameplay)" is a good example of the clickbait. Not saying that it's bad, but it is a bit misleading. I was watching that video and even I was thinking, "What's up with the PS4? I don't need to know this." Also, it wasn't even dead. It was dying. False advertisement! D: /sarcasm/

It felt more like an update video than anything. Also, I've never seen a CoD video without a commentator (since you did leave after 2 mins) rather than it being a highly edited video. Or maybe I don't imagine someone watching through a match w/o a word rather than using it for their own commentary. And I can't really tell if you did get 50 kills or not o-o

Another one would be "CoD 4 Remastered Developed By Raven Software." To which could easily have a "thoughts on" to avoid misinterpretations.

Or maybe they just don't like your voice >.>

This was not a quick question at all.

Remember to credit the music you've used! It might be royalty-free but you still gotta credit them :eek: Else they come bite you in the butt.

Overall: A standard CoD commentary channel. Again, I don't know the problem with the dislikes but it can hurt viewership if they're new. I like the consistency and style of the Road to Flawless series, but the newest video is barely audible.

The video "A Problem With Modern Warfare Remastered Killstreaks" shows me that you're knowledgeable with the game and maybe it's something you should be doing more.

Anyways, don't have much more to say rather than keep at it and remember to walk a different path than others 8) It's how you show your uniqueness. Can I get any more vague? I don't know.

Ikerot

Anime Enthusiast
Freedom! Member
Oct 13, 2014
California
www.youtube.com
YouTube
IkerotDea
Hi!

Thanks for the very comprehensive well-constructed review of my channel!

Yeah still tweaking out my mic quality settings, for some reason my mic will be loud sometimes and then I’ll use it again and it will be substantially lower – which may just come down to the quality of the microphone itself. I am currently looking into getting a much better quality mic, or more than likely just need to get closer to the mic so I am looking at getting a longer, bigger Boom arm for my mic. Thanks for the complement on my voice - been told I have a voice made for the Radio hahah Yeah I am looking at removing that and just having an opener and just get straight into the videos.

Channel trailer is getting re-done, that was done when I first started posting videos and I am currently working on a couple of short films so I am working my way around to re-doing my channel trailer – just need to work out a balance of a full time job, YouTube, taking care of myself & spending time with my fiancé and puppy hahaha

Thank you so much for the review I really do appreciate it I will take everything you have said and work towards fixing my problem areas and refining the smaller details of my channel!

You’re an absolute legend! :D

If you're looking for a better quality mic, you should look into an AT2020 or if you have a more quiet environment get a Blue Yeti (because that's real sensitive). I know both of those mics are talked about a lot, but they work well if you know how to use them. Or actually, if you got a bit more money to spend, check out the NT-USB. I would recommend that one (but I do like Rode so I'm a bit biased >.>). These are all USB mics if you're looking for that and not looking to get into XLR.

Yeah, I get about balancing your time with youtube and your life. Sometimes you just gotta plan it out and go with it. Make an hour or a day where all you'll be doing is youtube related things.

You're welcome dude! :]

BeckhamHD

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Sep 20, 2016
www.youtube.com
YouTube
Hey, I'm here to offer channel reviews. I'll be looking at your banner, logo, and the about page for your channel and then your video quality and description.

I'll only take 3 - 5 at a time so I won't be overwhelmed. Please don't reply if you see -[CLOSED]- (although I know some of you will because you don't read, in which case, I won't be doing yours even when I open lol)

Disclaimer: Take what I say with a grain of salt. I also really like to write.

-[OPEN]-
Would love some feedback! Thanks :)

Ikerot

Anime Enthusiast
Freedom! Member
Oct 13, 2014
California
www.youtube.com
YouTube
IkerotDea
Would love some feedback! Thanks :)
Hey dude. I have to say that I haven't played MC in a long time and the only "RP" I've ever seen has to be the Yogscast "Shadow of Israphel" lol. Even then, I didn't pay that much attention to it. I see that you've unlisted/privatized your two episodes of Kid Flash lol.

Banner & Logo: It's a basic banner but not something I'd keep in the long run. Also, the font (or color) needs to be changed because "The Official Channel Of" is hard to read. The logo is just a bg with your name slapped on it. Not very impressive, but it's not bad either.

About Page: Again with the three I've done. I will refer to you what I've said above lol. I can say that in your about page, you can talk about how you're doing RP because simply saying "gaming" is a bit broad.

Another Example because why not?

Thumbnails: These thumbnails tell what the video is about w/o having to look at the title. When I looked at other people's thumbnails for MC RP, I can see that your thumbnails are cleaner and clearer than 50% of the pool. Although the MC School could use a revamp since that one wouldn't catch me from any other MC RP about school. Here are two people I pulled for your thumbnails lol.

They like the Spongebob one for some reason >.>

Mic Quality: I don't know what mic you're using, but it's good enough. It's not crisp (though I wonder if you use audacity). I can hear the feedback (especially when there's a quiet moment) that is coming from your mic; it sounds a bit like an AC running or just something your mic is picking up from far away. It is audible so that's a plus. For you RP series, you should find a way to minimize your keyboard. Again, audacity could help or have your keyboard further away from your mic.

I suppose this is still a part of the mic, but I can hear you're not too sure about yourself yet. It takes time and RP is a hard thing to do at first. Although it is scripted so practice, practice, practice! Don't be afraid to take multiple shots (footages, not alcohol).

Channel Trailer: It's good that the trailer is around a minute long, but it's certainly isn't interesting. Before making a new trailer, you should get enough content on your channel first (around 10 ish vids). Then use those as small clips of what you do on your channel. A good example would be JaredSinclairTV's trailer lol. It's not perfect, but it shows what his channel is about.

I'll give you another example. Again, not perfect and will probably hurt your eyes.

Video Description: This.

This needs work. You're going nowhere with that lol. Remember to put in your name in the tags (not as the first) so when people do search up your name it shows your videos. Then put in more coherent tags like "minecraft roleplay" "minecraft rp" or something that you would search up when looking for rp series. Try to hit that specific spot so you can end up on the first page of the search.

In your description, you should have your social links (if any) and remember that the first two lines will show up in the search as well so use that wisely. I know some people also have links for their other videos so it could guide the viewers to more of their vids.

Get yourself TubeBuddy or VidIQ and read over these 2 guides for SEO: This and that.

By the way, video-wise, you need to clean up the grammar and spelling errors. You don't have to use your mouse to guide the viewer what you are reading. And try to fix the problem where the text goes out of the box and people can't read it. Also, your first episodes of Kid Flash and MC School starts off exactly the same way lol. Finally... you don't need to show the viewer a whole minute of you running to school. *writer mode activated

Overall: An alright channel. I write, so something like an rp could potentially reel me in but that's mainly because I put on my critique hat. Could use a revamp and get yoself audacity and tubebuddy/vidiq.

You seem to have a nice world for your RP series and got mods to compensate with the fact that you're basically doing it solo (again, I haven't played MC in a while). Work more on your editing (the scene with the bus and the elevator in Kid Flash is embarrassing) and your cutscenes (idk what it's really called at the moment).

Ikerot

Anime Enthusiast
Freedom! Member
Oct 13, 2014
California
www.youtube.com
YouTube
IkerotDea
I'd love a review , just recently came back to the youtube scene :p

https://www.youtube.com/user/HeroNDawg

Banner & Logo: Ya gotta love drawn banners and logos. It's not the best, but it's clean. I don't know what's the point of the black bars. Is that for the template? The way everything is placed here, I don't see the need for the social links (mainly because everything is not centered properly so it looks awkward hanging there).

The logo does have your character on it as well, but I think having the same-ish bg color to your banner would be more fitting.

About Page: Reeling this back to my other About Page review 8) I'm gonna write a template where I can copy and paste next time lol.

It's not related to gaming, but the about page is still good.

Thumbnails: I see the style you're going for but it needs to be worked on. I like that you got your own drawings in the corner and that definitely helps distinguish your videos from the rest. However, the framing of the thumbnails could be better. Try to get a still shot so it's in higher resolution or at least give the frame that you want a couple of seconds so it isn't blurry.

Some of them are the same pic, which is fine. It just removes the opportunity for clickbait (the good kind).

Take these two for example:

I don't know what's happening in the Zelda one. The game graphic in AoT really makes it undesirable (I can see why most people tend of use cutscenes or artwork). The game logo could be bigger and easier to read. I have to squint to read the game logo.

Mic Quality: Why is there a change in quality in your Stardew Valley (and your Sims 4) compared to the other videos? Got a new mic? Are you using audacity? Oh wait, are you using two mics? One for PC and console? Anyways, the latest audio isn't crispy but it's audible. As long as the viewers can hear you clearly, everything is good. Well, almost good.

It's hard to say this... well... not really. The videos aren't entertaining. For me at least. It's not energetic enough for me.

Channel Trailer: Okay... you need a new trailer (I know it's old). This trailer told me absolutely nothing. By that, I mean it just tells me you're like every other gaming channel. You even put "commentary" but there's no commentary to be heard in the video. Why is the quality (especially in the beginning) so bad? Must've been a rendering error, who knows? Go up from this review and look at the channel trailer example I had (and also JaredSinclair's).

Video Description: SEO needs to be worked on. Remember that the first 2 lines of your description will pop up in the search bar as well. Tags need a serious makeover if you ever want to get on the search page. Try to put in things that people will search for.

Get yourself TubeBuddy or VidIQ and read over these 2 guides for SEO: This and that.

Also... what is with the intro? When I watched the Stardew Valley vid, I thought it had abruptly started only to realize that it's one of those videos. There isn't anything bad in showing a funny/interesting clip first to catch your viewer's attention, but I don't see the point in them. Then there's the intro itself. What.

First of all, it's over 10 seconds long. That's a problem. Intros should stick to 5 seconds at best. I also have no idea what the floating head is trying to say to me.

Example of a nice intro:
(He doesn't allow videos to be embedded unfortunately)
Three seconds is all it takes.

Overall: Pretty average. You got your brand so that's great. Need to get rid of the intro or simply make a shorter one. Work on your thumbnail and all that other fun stuff :p

What kind of mic do you use?

Ikerot

Anime Enthusiast
Freedom! Member
Oct 13, 2014
California
www.youtube.com
YouTube
IkerotDea
I would LOVE a review, I can't seem to figure out what I'm lacking. An outside view would help, I think.

I'm not even going to use my template on this one.

Change your channel trailer. Just because it looks like you're trying your best (and you say it) and you hope that it's funny won't make it funny. Another way to say, just because you're aware of it doesn't mean it's comedy.

Your thumbnails are all over the place and it simply needs to be better cropped out (your face I mean). Either remake your banner and logo (and not have them made on paint) or get someone to make them for you. It's unappealing. If I don't even want to click on your videos or even look at your channel, there's no point in the video. You need to fix up the appearance of your channel for people to even try to attempt to watch.

Finally, lose the trilby--the internet has a vendetta against people who wears them.