Opinion i just got a new mic is it good

tovah

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 25, 2018
YouTube
i used to use a headset now i use a blue snowball is it really good or it it ok because my headset coated me 50$ and it was not lasting long since my headset was made out of plastic and before i got it i wanted to get it now i have it my is more smoother now i don't even have to edit much audio in audacity

It's The Kid

Mar 15, 2018
Paterson
YouTube
i used to use a headset now i use a blue snowball is it really good or it it ok because my headset coated me 50$ and it was not lasting long since my headset was made out of plastic and before i got it i wanted to get it now i have it my is more smoother now i don't even have to edit much audio in audacity
In my own opinion, the Blue Snowball is a great microphone because of what you can do to it and what capabilities it can do with the right settings

tovah

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 25, 2018
YouTube
In my own opinion, the Blue Snowball is a great microphone because of what you can do to it and what capabilities it can do with the right settings
ive been using for a few weeks it sounds good since at least i can talk with it 2ft away from it

NinjaZombieGaming

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 25, 2014
YouTube
NZGsNinja
I guess it is better than using a headset but no it's not great, I've had multiple blue mics including the yeti, which no I don't recommend, it doesn't sound that great either, I currently use an audio technica at-2035 xlr mic paired with a focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface. and I understand not everybody can afford an XLR setup, but trust me price is worth it. Audio quality is more important than people think it is. Now all that being said I've been doing this for a while... I'm really into the hobby, I own 6 mics right now, and 3 cameras... And I most definitely didn't have all the fancy equipment I have now when I started.
so is it a good mic? No,
is it a good beginner mic? If it works, it works. You could even use a potato if it's all you got.

tovah

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 25, 2018
YouTube
I guess it is better than using a headset but no it's not great, I've had multiple blue mics including the yeti, which no I don't recommend, it doesn't sound that great either, I currently use an audio technica at-2035 xlr mic paired with a focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface. and I understand not everybody can afford an XLR setup, but trust me price is worth it. Audio quality is more important than people think it is. Now all that being said I've been doing this for a while... I'm really into the hobby, I own 6 mics right now, and 3 cameras... And I most definitely didn't have all the fancy equipment I have now when I started.
so is it a good mic? No,
is it a good beginner mic? If it works, it works. You could even use a potato if it's all you got.
i mean for me i don't want to spend 1k on a mic because i have a very small space were i record i mean my audio is clearer for me at least it must of been just you or something idk i mean to me the blue snowball is a good mic tho i dont have a pop filter and also i need to buy. a camera for my vids so yeh and my old mic was very bad like now i only use it on ps4 now tho. because i got 2 headsets and 1 mic plus as .im typing i need to buy a new table etc. i have a lot of things on my mind than buying a studio mic the only mic i would buy after that is
the yeti and that's it really.

NinjaZombieGaming

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 25, 2014
YouTube
NZGsNinja
i mean for me i don't want to spend 1k on a mic because i have a very small space were i record i mean my audio is clearer for me at least it must of been just you or something idk i mean to me the blue snowball is a good mic tho i dont have a pop filter and also i need to buy. a camera for my vids so yeh and my old mic was very bad like now i only use it on ps4 now tho. because i got 2 headsets and 1 mic plus as .im typing i need to buy a new table etc. i have a lot of things on my mind than buying a studio mic the only mic i would buy after that is
the yeti and that's it really.

To be fair, my mic and audio interface together were only $300, not even close to 1k, and also personally, I find audio to be more important than say resolution of a video, id rather watch a video in 720p with good audio than watch a 4k video with poor audio for example.

Like i said, its not a bad beginner mic, its a decent mic for a person on a budget such as yourself, but to answer the title of the thread, it is not in fact a "good" mic, even without being an audiophile, there is a clear difference between a $50 mic and a $150 mic, and there will always be a difference between usb mics and xlr mics.

All i was trying to say was, yes it works, yes its better than a headset for sure, but no it is not what I consider to be good, most youtubers I've seen with a snowball are small youtubers, I've never seen a bigger youtuber with a snowball personally, also just because something is "clear" does not make it good, example: the blue yeti is clear, I used it for a long time, and thought i would never need a better mic, I only got a new mic because the yeti had a ton of problems near the end of its run and then completely broke on me, so i decided to upgrade.

After purchasing the new mic and listening to both i realized the yeti made my voice sound more on the robotic side, compared to the at2035 which sounds more realistic, one of my friends told me that when i switched mics, the new mic sounds like i was right there talking to him in person, and that the new mic was a lot better. you have to look at other things as well llike how well does it pick up different tones, (highs mids and lows) how much background noise does it pick up? what is its pick up pattern? etc. mics all sound different.

Oh and please for the love of god when you upgrade don't JUST go buy a yeti, blue is good but a very over rated, over hyped company on youtube. I highly suggest looking into other mics, listen to a lot comparison videos on different mics and see which one sounds the best to you, because when you get to the point that you can drop that much money on a yeti, you can save up a bit more and drop it on a much better mic, I would never buy another yeti, not after I realized you can get a much better mic for a similar price.

All that being said, audio is highly going to be a personal thing, if YOU like it, use it, if YOU want to buy a yeti later, buy one, just because I think differently does not mean I think you have to agree with me, just giving you my point of view on all this.

So that's my opinion, do as you wish with it, I'm not here to control your decision, just trying to share some knowledge and my personal opinions on the matter.

tovah

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 25, 2018
YouTube
To be fair, my mic and audio interface together were only $300, not even close to 1k, and also personally, I find audio to be more important than say resolution of a video, id rather watch a video in 720p with good audio than watch a 4k video with poor audio for example.

Like i said, its not a bad beginner mic, its a decent mic for a person on a budget such as yourself, but to answer the title of the thread, it is not in fact a "good" mic, even without being an audiophile, there is a clear difference between a $50 mic and a $150 mic, and there will always be a difference between usb mics and xlr mics.

All i was trying to say was, yes it works, yes its better than a headset for sure, but no it is not what I consider to be good, most youtubers I've seen with a snowball are small youtubers, I've never seen a bigger youtuber with a snowball personally, also just because something is "clear" does not make it good, example: the blue yeti is clear, I used it for a long time, and thought i would never need a better mic, I only got a new mic because the yeti had a ton of problems near the end of its run and then completely broke on me, so i decided to upgrade.

After purchasing the new mic and listening to both i realized the yeti made my voice sound more on the robotic side, compared to the at2035 which sounds more realistic, one of my friends told me that when i switched mics, the new mic sounds like i was right there talking to him in person, and that the new mic was a lot better. you have to look at other things as well llike how well does it pick up different tones, (highs mids and lows) how much background noise does it pick up? what is its pick up pattern? etc. mics all sound different.

Oh and please for the love of god when you upgrade don't JUST go buy a yeti, blue is good but a very over rated, over hyped company on youtube. I highly suggest looking into other mics, listen to a lot comparison videos on different mics and see which one sounds the best to you, because when you get to the point that you can drop that much money on a yeti, you can save up a bit more and drop it on a much better mic, I would never buy another yeti, not after I realized you can get a much better mic for a similar price.

All that being said, audio is highly going to be a personal thing, if YOU like it, use it, if YOU want to buy a yeti later, buy one, just because I think differently does not mean I think you have to agree with me, just giving you my point of view on all this.

So that's my opinion, do as you wish with it, I'm not here to control your decision, just trying to share some knowledge and my personal opinions on the matter.
yeah i agree with you but i saw reviews of the blue snowball and the yeti and i thought they were good since i pretty much right now use my blue snowball for music and for youtube videos tho idk if the blue snowball can have a pop filter on it and ive never used an xlr
mic i mean i don't want to because as i said my room is way to small to fit ton of mics in it or to make it like a studio
but at the same time ive watched many of reviews of it and idk how long my blue snowball will last and when i do upgrade to yeti
im going to need a pop filter because since everyone has