How to record good quality audio?

LollipopSWAG21

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Sep 6, 2016
YouTube
Hello guys!

For commentaries, I want to record good quality audio without any background sound and breathing sound. How can I do it without spending a lot of money?

Inspire GFX

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Step 1: Get a good microphone, I recommend a Blue Yeti when it's on sale.
Step 2: Audacity and optimize it.
If he uses OBS studio it eliminates the need for audacity as it can record voice to a seperete track and sync it with video :) but I do agree on the microphone, or the at2020 is also a good choice as well

Reactions: Nolan Westmore

Row

Forum Administrator // YouTuber... -ish
Freedom! Member
Feb 21, 2014
YouTube
I am of those snowball x OBS users and its pretty decent. Just need to test which quality or set up or volume is best for you (which takes some time)

Haste

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 16, 2016
YouTube
As everyone else has said audacity is a good choice for voice recording. To build on that, a piece of software called Adobe Audition is great for eliminating background noise if you have any. It will remove hissing and popping cause by your microphone. I would link you to a video but I can't as of yet, but I highly recommend checking it out. Back before I bought my yeti I had a ****** microphone and Audition made it sounds miles better than it actually was.

LollipopSWAG21

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Sep 6, 2016
YouTube
As everyone else has said audacity is a good choice for voice recording. To build on that, a piece of software called Adobe Audition is great for eliminating background noise if you have any. It will remove hissing and popping cause by your microphone. I would link you to a video but I can't as of yet, but I highly recommend checking it out. Back before I bought my yeti I had a ****** microphone and Audition made it sounds miles better than it actually was.

Adobe Audition costs money I think.

Aussie Chan

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 1, 2016
Australia
YouTube
_Aussie_Chan_
I personally use Audacity and a blue snowball, the blue snowball has a really nice and sturdy quality finish so it won't break during travel, it also comes with a small tripod with little grips at the end. The blue snowball had no problems setting up on windows 10 for me and is very zoomed in so it captures very little background noise so I barely need to use audacity. For a decent ~$100 it is a great quality microphone and I highly recommend it.

Audacity is free and quite capable of doing things like this, you can search tutorials and other nifty things you can do with audacity on youtube or any other site for that matter.

I hoped this post helped!

-Aussie Chan

BodaciousBrosGaming

Distinguished User
May 15, 2014
San Francisco, California
YouTube
Yeah I agree with what pretty much everyone here recommends. Audacity with the Blue Snowball is a really good combination for Youtubers just starting out and even when you can move on to better mics it's really hard to argue against that price to quality ratio. But hey if you're willing to spend a little more for a microphone I can recommend some higher quality mics that I and a couple friends of mine use. I use the Blue Yeti Pro and it's lasted me for the past 2 1/2 years without fail. It's a good robust mic that's excellent at recording either single or group commentaries with plenty of options to work with on the mic itself.

Can't say much personally to what my friends use but they both have nothing but praise for the RODE Podcaster and the Razer Seiren Elite. Price-wise though it's really up to you if you want to spend more money on another mic that in reality you really don't need if you already have a Blue Snowball. Either way man good luck with the selection and best of luck with the channel :) Have an awesome day! - Brandon

Other Freedom Banner.jpg