Tips & Tricks How do you remember what to say?

Lauren Smith

Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
YouTube
So a problem I have with making videos is that I know EXACTLY what I am going to say.... Until it comes to filming.
As soon as I press the record button, it is gone, everything, all my amazing ideas that I was so excited to use...

So what I want to know is do you have this problem? Have you ever encountered this problem? And what do you do to resolve this problem? The problem I find with writing a script is that I then take my eyes away from the camera (unless its a gaming commentary of course) but yeah.... Any tips?

Reactions: Mronemanarmy

RewindThatGaming

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 18, 2016
Ashland, PA
YouTube
So a problem I have with making videos is that I know EXACTLY what I am going to say.... Until it comes to filming.
As soon as I press the record button, it is gone, everything, all my amazing ideas that I was so excited to use...

So what I want to know is do you have this problem? Have you ever encountered this problem? And what do you do to resolve this problem? The problem I find with writing a script is that I then take my eyes away from the camera (unless its a gaming commentary of course) but yeah.... Any tips?

I get the same problem only happen once awhile but tips is have the script by you do a quick look at it to get a glinch of what you suppost to talk about but go from there and sometime let you mind free and start talking it could help (In and/or out the video).

Reactions: Lauren Smith

Lauren Smith

Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
YouTube
I get the same problem only happen once awhile but tips is have the script by you do a quick look at it to get a glinch of what you suppost to talk about but go from there and sometime let you mind free and start talking it could help (In and/or out the video).
I've also had some suggestions from people saying that they write down simple bullet points to remind them what to say so I'm gonna try that out :)

RewindThatGaming

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 18, 2016
Ashland, PA
YouTube

I've also had some suggestions from people saying that they write down simple bullet points to remind them what to say so I'm gonna try that out :)

Good luck on remembering and I hope that help you .

Caleb Calvert

Rising User
May 2, 2016
Does there need to be a script for your content? You can't just ramble on about various topics? I feel like scripted content is obvious... and hard to edit. Try to avoid it, and jump into a video without anything, see how that works out for you... if it definitely wont, then stick to the script and throw post it notes on your monitor :)

Lauren Smith

Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
YouTube
Does there need to be a script for your content? You can't just ramble on about various topics? I feel like scripted content is obvious... and hard to edit. Try to avoid it, and jump into a video without anything, see how that works out for you... if it definitely wont, then stick to the script and throw post it notes on your monitor :)
I mean a script as in something to remind my self what I was rambling on about because my memory is terrible and sometimes I tend to go off topic then forget the point I was trying to get across in the first place haha :)

Goped Fred

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 13, 2016
A little place called Oblivion
YouTube
A script definitely helps. Depending on subject, you could even familiarize yourself with the topic. A little research can go a long way. If you're doing your vlog, maybe you could make it interesting and bring in some props. I do gaming commentaries mainly, so I can read directly from script and ramble on from there, but with camera commentaries, I feel like familiarization would be more of the key to success, along with simple bullet points to get you through to where you need

AchilleanOfficial

Freedom! Member
Jan 23, 2016
www.youtube.com
I don't have any issues with this, but what I could recommend is that when you do make a video, write down a few bullet-points about things you want to say. This will ensure you stay on topic and get what you wanted to say out there. You can easily cut out the dead air, so don't worry about pausing.

Lauren Smith

Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
YouTube
A script definitely helps. Depending on subject, you could even familiarize yourself with the topic. A little research can go a long way. If you're doing your vlog, maybe you could make it interesting and bring in some props. I do gaming commentaries mainly, so I can read directly from script and ramble on from there, but with camera commentaries, I feel like familiarization would be more of the key to success, along with simple bullet points to get you through to where you need
I do tend to do some research before I do my videos but I never usually write it down... Which is probably where I go wrong haha but thanks :)

I don't have any issues with this, but what I could recommend is that when you do make a video, write down a few bullet-points about things you want to say. This will ensure you stay on topic and get what you wanted to say out there. You can easily cut out the dead air, so don't worry about pausing.
Yep, I am definitely going to start using bullet points! Thanks :)

Nordic Chronicles

Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Jun 8, 2014
U.S.A, Illinois.
It all depends on what you are working on. Scripts are usually helpful when it comes to something like a "Film" or a vlog in which you need a tab on what you will be talking about(there is prolly more uses for a script). However, I used to use scripts when I began my channel, and now I don't anymore, simply just talk about various topics and try to pretend YOU are talking to someone in front of you.
If you have any friends who can join you, it helps loosen you up and remember what you are also trying to speak about. Just what I've experienced.

DemFrostyFlakes

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 29, 2016

For me I don't really think about what I'm going to say until its time to record this is probably a bad thing to do but it works for me, it makes the videos feel natural and not staged.

Jdlikefood

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 17, 2016
YouTube
I always write everything down, even if I don't plan on using a script. I will be in bed trying to go to sleep and I will get an idea and have to jump out of bed to write out my entire thought process. From that I usually summarize what I want to say in a few bullet points, that way I can easily glance at my notebook between ideas and then just cut out the parts that I am awkwardly looking at my script.

Lauren Smith

Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
YouTube
For me I don't really think about what I'm going to say until its time to record this is probably a bad thing to do but it works for me, it makes the videos feel natural and not staged.
I guess it's different for different people, just winging it is bad for me because I start to stutter and get side tracked haha

Jac Morton

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 19, 2016
UK, West Yorkshire
YouTube
shotonwhite

I script everything and then when I am recording I have the script sat just below the camera so I can read it and it doesn't look too bad.

It is getting a little easier the more I do it, so practice is probably the only way to get better. Have you tried to break your script in to short chunks memorising them and jump cutting the takes together?

It's what a lot of the bigger channels seem to do.

Kingdom Ginger

Respected User

Coming from someone who did a degree in Drama and Theatre practice... Rehearse! Might be boring, but it's effective! You can also pinpoint words to stress and how to stress them to make them more interesting/ catching... Colour your words!

Jon Deathsight

Freedom! Member
Oct 28, 2015
YouTube
It is all practice. it gets easier the more you do it. I am still trying to get better at it but it is definitely easier the more you do it. I tried writing everything down before but it doesn't work for me infact it makes it worst so I stick to improvising lol