How do you feel about "mainstream" anime?

Kraedax

Respected User
Oct 25, 2015
YouTube
Anime's such as Full Metal Alchemist, One Piece, Naruto, and many others have fallen into this "mainstream" crowd. Are some of you more a elitist when it comes to anime, or would rather watch more of the underrated anime. What about language? Would you rather watch an anime in its native language, or whichever language you speak? Go ahead and elaborate :)

Generic Baka

Otaku Lord and Saviour
Freedom! Member
Oct 9, 2015
YouTube
Anime should definitely be in Japanese, in my opinion. I love underrated anime as well but I feel as if there is a middle ground between overrated or mainstream and underrated. I feel like Mirai Nikki, one of my favourite anime of all time, fits in that middle slot.

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
Honestly, I love mainstream anime because I get to enjoy it for a very long period of time without worrying about not being able to continue it, like you may get with other series. The only thing that these series tend to piss me off with is the fillers. I usually don't mind too much if the fillers work well with the story and they are not placed at cliff hangers and such. Also ... the flash backs can get irritating at times. I don't understand why we need to see the same flash back 10 - 20 damned times with in a 5 episode span XD. In case you are wondering, I am mainly talking about Naruto ... and sometimes Bleach. They are notorious for fillers really.

However, I watch just about anything and everything anime, it's just a matter of finding something I am in the mood for at the time. I typically enjoy watching subs more than dubs with very few exceptions. Japanese isn't my native language though, English is.

I also keep up with all the newest anime each season. I don't watch everything, but I do try to watch a good portion of the series that come out.

Nerd

Apr 22, 2014
Lithuania
YouTube
ConfusedNerdTV
I personally dont mind "mainstream" anime, its just that theyr fans can be over the top most of the time.... but more often than not the unknown anime aimed at small group of people will click with me better than mainstream ones.

As for language... well they dont translate anime to my native language and we dont have any good voice actors here so thats allready out of question. If we're talking english vs japanese, 95% of the time Japanese will win for me, english dubs just dont get the story across, missed half the jokes that work in japanese and tend to misstranslate stuff (with minor exceptions like Death note, that had pretty decent dubs)

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
I always watch anime with Japanese voice and english subtitles.

As for mainstream i watch Naruto since it began and still enjoy watching the newest episode. But i also like the small anime's wich only have a few episodes like Hellsing, Elfenlied and Deadman wonderland to name a couple :)

SacredEdge

Freedom! Member
Sep 21, 2015
Japan
YouTube
I always wanted to like today's mainstreamed anime just like i love 90's anime but i just cant..

But i gotta say.. The anime aged suprisingly well, in the form of animation, music and a whole wide variety of genre for mainstream audiences..

HOWEVER.. today's anime nowadays lack on story, mediocre writings, and 0 character development, and a some charscters/story is much like a copy and paste type.. And more on fanservice, which is like watching p**rn.. which is sad in my perspective..

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
I always watch it with english subtitles but most of these days mainstream anime is just mediocre at best because they follow a formula and dont really offer any twists. This is a shame for the wierd storries and twists earlier anime had attracted me to the genre in the first place and now that is mostly gone.

Ikerot

Anime Enthusiast
Freedom! Member
Oct 13, 2014
California
www.youtube.com
YouTube
IkerotDea
"Mainstream" anime is a good way to get people started when they first want to watch an anime. It's a lot better than someone recommending you some ecchi anime as your starter anime. I personally don't watch any anime that's over 100 episodes (unless it's MAR, but that's 102 episodes) since I tend to lose interest over time. I love a good story, but I don't like it when it goes on for too long.

I much prefer it in Japanese since I've always had a bad experience with dubs. Technically, I'd prefer to watch any foreign movies in their original language. Dubbing simply ruins it for me and I have no problem reading subtitles.

I watch any anime as long as it's entertaining.

Kuway000

Freedom! Member
Oct 27, 2015
YouTube
I actually watch a lot of the mainstream anime because it's more convent to watch it since it's all over. I watch some smaller anime too though.

MentalGnat

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 26, 2015
England, UK
YouTube
MentalGnat
Well I watch all sorts of Anmie, some what you could call "mainstream" and some what you could call "underrated" but there are two "mainstream" anmies which I could never complete and that is Bleach and Naruto, I just got bored of them, you could say there got repitive I guess.

But with what language, well I sometimes I watch them in Japenese and sometimes Dubbed it depends on the Anmie I guess. For example I prefer Tokyo Ghoal dubbed as I think it sounds better, but I prefer Log Horizon in Japanese as I think the voice acting is better in Japanese.

RGDrewGaming

Aurkenen on Youtube
Freedom! Member
Jan 9, 2015
South Carolina
YouTube
Magallus
I watch both mainstream and underrated, doesn't really matter to me. As for language i guess it depends on the anime. Something like DBZ i much prefer the dub, but other things the original is better. all a matter of taste i guess

Will

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 20, 2014
Mainstream anime are actually usually pretty good, the only problem is that sometimes they get hyped to levels beyond annoying.

Kurisu

Rising User
Jan 1, 2016
YouTube
I watch dubbed since the japanese sound very out of place to me. Though at times they are good like with the anime Infinite Stratos