How do you do your commentary?

• Thread starter Deleted member 17740
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 17740

Hay there!
I'm korbin and i am, along with many others in the freedom family, looking to improve out commentary but are stuck on how.
Post how you do your commentaries, e.g. when recording or after, and how you make a commentary interesting to listen to and watch!

Jonesie

New User
Nov 20, 2016
YouTube
Hey man, heres my tips on how to have better commentary:

-Have a general intro: A lot of people will know who you are just by listening to your intro, so it is good to have something people can count on at the start of the video
-Ask for subs: People who aren't subscribed will see that your doing YouTube for a purpose, so they will subscribe. Besides, even if they don't, it won't hurt to ask for a like or subscription
-Stay motivated: A lot of people will speak in a monotone voice, which isn't exciting for the viewers, they are there to watch an interesting video. If you stay engaged in your own conversation, they will start to feel like they are in a conversation with you, and will stay longer, and eventually subscribe
-Keep to your subject: People who don't stay true to what they are talking about (go on about something unrelated to the video's title) will not grow, unless they are getting subscribers from another source (sub4sub). People clicked on your video to see something that would pertain to its title, so dont go off your prompt
-Keep posting: Once you continue to post more and more content on your channel, whether it's commentary, lets plays, or vlogs, your commentary and speaking skills will improve. Take major YouTubers like Pewdiepie and Markiplier. Their first videos weren't that good in the commentary department, but they stuck to it and eventually became what they are today!
-Don't quit: Pretty self-explanatory... You have to give to get, so don't expect subs

To see how I commentate, check out my videos! I hoped this helped, it took my 15 minutes, so don't let it go to waste! Anyways, I hope to see you later on my channel!
-Jonesie

Crazylawrence

The Crazy Boi
Freedom! Member
Feb 10, 2016
Lowestoft
LawrenceGilder
Hey man, heres my tips on how to have better commentary:

-Have a general intro: A lot of people will know who you are just by listening to your intro, so it is good to have something people can count on at the start of the video
-Ask for subs: People who aren't subscribed will see that your doing YouTube for a purpose, so they will subscribe. Besides, even if they don't, it won't hurt to ask for a like or subscription
-Stay motivated: A lot of people will speak in a monotone voice, which isn't exciting for the viewers, they are there to watch an interesting video. If you stay engaged in your own conversation, they will start to feel like they are in a conversation with you, and will stay longer, and eventually subscribe
-Keep to your subject: People who don't stay true to what they are talking about (go on about something unrelated to the video's title) will not grow, unless they are getting subscribers from another source (sub4sub). People clicked on your video to see something that would pertain to its title, so dont go off your prompt
-Keep posting: Once you continue to post more and more content on your channel, whether it's commentary, lets plays, or vlogs, your commentary and speaking skills will improve. Take major YouTubers like Pewdiepie and Markiplier. Their first videos weren't that good in the commentary department, but they stuck to it and eventually became what they are today!
-Don't quit: Pretty self-explanatory... You have to give to get, so don't expect subs

To see how I commentate, check out my videos! I hoped this helped, it took my 15 minutes, so don't let it go to waste! Anyways, I hope to see you later on my channel!
-Jonesie

:) Thumbs up for this brilliant piece of advice! :)

However, I may want to clear up a few things mentioned.

2) Ask for subs: ONLY do this as an outro, talking about subscribing in the middle of the video is random and is out of place.
4) Sub4Sub: Subscribers from Sub4Sub are not legitimate, it is technically cheating and we, the Forum Team or the Freedom! Team will not ignore it, nor will YouTube.

MSHAY Gaming

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 1, 2016
YouTube
Personally i always do my commentary at the same time as i play and make the video, that way you dont have to fake reactions....its all live to whats happening. Ofcourse this is all depending on what your channel is about. It will be a different case for various topics. For example mines a gaming channel so its better getting live reactions as i play rather than going back and talking over my gameplay.

Monkeyboygamer

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Nov 22, 2016
UK
YouTube
monkeyboygamer1
I agree with most people up here! The more you do it the better you get at it like everything else I guess. I for one took me a while to get adjusted also its easier if you limit your episode to say 15-20 mins per epsiode and that way when you edit it you can always select the best parts. I guess the most important part would be to play games your really enjoying and have fun with it. If its a chore for you than I guess no one will enjoy it. Don't record when your not up to it or if unwell I learned that the hard way always have some back up videos for those times to just put up.

I am not an expert but sort of just a few things I have learned in my year on YouTube.

MonkeyboyGamer salutes you!

JakeVegas

Respected User
Dec 16, 2015
Indiana, United States
YouTube
I do a combination of recording commentary during and after gameplay. The majority of those who like my videos have told me they do so due to my commentary style. I've developed it over time, and it has gotten much better. If you watch my very first video from a year ago and compare it to my latest videos, you will hear there is a world of difference. My adivce would be to play around with your commentary and find what works best for you. Good luck!

Reactions: Monkeyboygamer