How do you decide what games to record?

S

Smacky Games

It's a combination of few things actually. I look for something I'll enjoy playing and commenting, plus something that I think will get views.

Gamenugz

Freedom! Member
Feb 18, 2015
YouTube
gamenugz
Generally, I try to record games that I know I will enjoy playing, or games that are really bad and make for a good comedic experience, mostly anything I will have some kind of fun with. Either way, if you are not having fun, neither will your viewers, so keep it fun! :)

Bcft Brendan

Well-Known User
Jul 11, 2014
australia
YouTube
Hey, I'm kinda a newbie still on YouTube and was wondering, how do some of you more experienced gaming youtubers decide whether a game will make for an entertaining video?
In other words, what do you consider when deciding to record a game?

*this is my first thread post after my introduction so sorry if this is not how you are supposed to do this*

I record games that I find fun, even if the video doesn't do very good at least I know I had fun making it, if I play a game I don't like I wont record it. I was doing a playthrough on watch dogs but the game was no fun for me to play so I stopped the playthrough and got rid of the videos.

joaopneves

The Portuguese
Freedom! Member
Aug 24, 2015
Portugal
YouTube
To me this is a really simple problem.
I record anything I want to play. I know that sometimes may not be the best game, or even the most recent one, but I think we all, as youtubers, should like what are we playing and just then try to understand what should our subbs like.

Stretch AdventureKS

That Skeleton!
Freedom! Member
Sep 4, 2014
YouTube
At this point in time I try to play what I think my viewers will enjoy and in the end enjoy it myself as well. In my case it seems that my viewers enjoy RPGs/JRPGs and 2D Platformers, so I do more of those since they are actually my favorites to play. Also, one big factor is how colorful, happy and crazy the game is, given the fact that it seems that with games that are meant to be more serious like Batman or Darksiders I did not enjoy doing those in the end, and we all know that the feeling that you do not enjoy the game WILL be spotted by the viewer, thus the viewer not enjoying the series/LP either.

Now that doesn't mean that ''oh that viewer likes zombie games, I will do it too''. No, I am not gonna give the viewer full power over what I am gonna play. If I see that my viewer likes the genre that I like too than it's a jackpot. I am the one to decide what game to play within that genre too.

Cold Ransom

Rising User
Oct 3, 2015
Georgia, United States
YouTube
As many other have stated, the number one thing for me is playing a game that I know I am going to enjoy. I feel that if I am not enjoying the game I am playing, then there is surely no way my subscribers can enjoy it. Once you've found a game you enjoy, BE CONSISTENT! I can't stress that enough! I know my channel is not very large, but I am doing my best to grow quickly by posting content when I say I'll post and giving my Subs good, quality content! If you maintain those things, you will be successful :)

Almost Gamers

Rising User
May 18, 2015
YouTube
Well on our channel we kind of vote and like to keep things well rounded. there are four of us that are interchangeable parts of our mechanism. Like I like playing a game like Ninja Gaiden ,Megaman x , Rocket Knight Adventures ,or Strider things like that so that the viewer can be a part of the struggle. We even have fun playing bad games because we laugh and showcase how the said "bad game" is bad. We like to take turns doing RPGs and play another series at the same time. for instance we put out 5 episodes of an RPG each week simultaneously putting out 5 episodes of what have you. We really do encourage suggestions. some of our other members prefer gamecube and party games. but we play anything and everything. and above all Make sure that you enjoy what you are doing because thats what its all about

darkash

New User
Oct 5, 2015
i would have to say just record the game's you enjoy doing if you enjoy doing them the more people will enjoy watching you do them just record what you have most fun doing ..

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
I try to record games based on a few things actually.

1. It must be a game I have not played yet
2. Ignore number 1 if the game can be played differently each play through or can be modded.
3. Ignore number 1 if the game is a favorite and you have a want to re-experience it.
4. and last but not least, it must be a game I enjoy playing.

Riddikore

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Feb 21, 2015
YouTube
I play things I know I can be excited about when providing commentary. I try not to play whatever hot indie game of the moment since everyone will generally have the same reaction lol It's gotta be something I know I can play without always looking at the clock seeing how long i've recorded. I want to be invested in the game (y) (Y)

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
It really depends for me... I'll play anything... lol. I love gaming as a whole.

But my main focus is South park cause I've been a fan since it started over 18 years ago.

Besides that my favorite genre is RPGs. .. but they don't often make the best videos... they can be fun to play but slow and boring to watch... like chess... so when I play them I either speed it up, or cut stuff out...

Platformers are another of my favorite genres... and I especially love when fellow youtubers make games, like avgn's games and pewds new game... I usually play them for sure... usually on hard difficulty levels, so I can curse them, while enjoying a good challenge. Lol

Beyond those which are my main series, I decide on games purely based on wether I think I can make a funny or good video from...
Sometimes I see a game and just get inspired to create something...
I don't know how else to explain that...
It just kinda happens...