How do you decide what games to record?

moah380

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Sep 14, 2015
YouTube
Hey, I'm kinda a newbie still on YouTube and was wondering, how do some of you more experienced gaming youtubers decide whether a game will make for an entertaining video?
In other words, what do you consider when deciding to record a game?

*this is my first thread post after my introduction so sorry if this is not how you are supposed to do this*

Reactions: Brent Cone and Nuke

Neal

Mod
Freedom! Member
Jan 5, 2014
Illinois
YouTube
nealcarico
Anything that starts up a convo about gaming is very welcome here, so this is a great thread! :)

Whenever I decide to record a game, I decide how I'm going to record, lets play or high lights. Then I decide if I need a group to play with, if it is a multiplayer game. If I don't have fun while playing, I'll delete the recording and move on, but normally I have fun. :)

Reactions: moah380 and Nuke

moah380

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Sep 14, 2015
YouTube
Anything that starts up a convo about gaming is very welcome here, so this is a great thread! :)

Whenever I decide to record a game, I decide how I'm going to record, lets play or high lights. Then I decide if I need a group to play with, if it is a multiplayer game. If I don't have fun while playing, I'll delete the recording and move on, but normally I have fun. :)

Wow thanks, it means a lot that you replied, and thanks that's good to know. I've never really though about the video type before a recording so thanks. :)

Reactions: Nuke and Neal

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
what I do is first pick a game I like playing and secondly think what will I say during the play and is it going to be entertaining enough (not too many silences or waiting). So some of the games that I like I cant play on my channel because I dont think i can make it entertaining

moah380

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Sep 14, 2015
YouTube
what I do is first pick a game I like playing and secondly think what will I say during the play and is it going to be entertaining enough (not too many silences or waiting). So some of the games that I like I cant play on my channel because I dont think i can make it entertaining

Thanks for the reply, and I can relate to what you are saying, I've noticed some of the games I really enjoy don't seem like they would be very entertaining videos, so I haven't tried recording them. And thanks again, I'll keep in mind what you said about thinking about what you will say.

Reactions: Nuke and Neal

moah380

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Sep 14, 2015
YouTube
I do the unconventional and let my viewers decide what I play next. I ask them for their suggestions at the start of a series then ask them to vote for what they want to see next based on that list of suggestions.

Interesting, does that work? And is that something that you would recommend other people try in some way?

THENigeliam

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Aug 17, 2015
Philippines
YouTube
I'm no gaming expert in YouTube, but in choosing what games to record, usually I follow my heart. What I think I will enjoy, and at the same time, the viewer will enjoy. Sometimes, going with the flow, like recording a video for a new game, will bury your video among the big name YouTube channels that are doing the same thing, unless your video stands out. So, yeah, that's about it. The thought is scattered, lol but I hope you get my point.

And like what @Kratos Aurion said, asking your viewers which game to record could work. I'm have only 82 subs, so I really can't say it'll work, but I think they'll watch it 'cause they suggested it, and they'll be looking forward to it.

8-Bit-Relic

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Dec 17, 2014
Ireland
YouTube
If you are making your channel for fun just pick something you really love or really hate to play. The video is then already half done.

If you want to make popular videos just pick one of the five or six games everybody is playing on Youtube, Twitch and be one with the mass...

guitarcfd

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 21, 2014
YouTube
I've had the opportunity to talk to some seriously successful youtubers. Their advice to me was, "play games you enjoy playing."

Over my time on youtube, starting with Minecraft, on to Space Engineers, ARK: Survival Evolved. I've found that when I am uninspired by the game...my quality of video is crap. My channel is about to undergo some serious changes as I'm evolving as a gamer. I think the most important thing is to do YOU.

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
Interesting, does that work? And is that something that you would recommend other people try in some way?

I think it works as it adds some viewer intrigue. Though if I had to be honest it might be a better technique for larger channels to use than smaller channels such as my own since certain people might have a lot of power to sway votes for Heavily Obscure games or Bad games. Back in January I ended up having an extremely obscure game called Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits win a poll. It wasn't a bad game but it wasn't great either and the game dragged on for about 60 episodes(Each at 30+ minutes in length) It was easily one of my least viewed series and I didn't get a lot of viewer interaction on that series at all. I still had fun with it despite that but it's series like that that make me wish I had time to do more than 1 game at a time because I could really feel it starting to drag on as the series moved along. Either way it's a risk you run with using this model especially if you are committed to finishing the games you are suggested like I am.

And like what @Kratos Aurion said, asking your viewers which game to record could work. I'm have only 82 subs, so I really can't say it'll work, but I think they'll watch it 'cause they suggested it, and they'll be looking forward to it.

Oh yeah definitely as long as the suggested game is a fairly genuine winner with some hype behind it those could make for some awesome series with lots of people looking forward to each episode. Following up what I said above the game that followed Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits was Tales of the Abyss a fairly popular JRPG and with my channel being themed around the Tales series that ended up being one of my best performing series right after what was arguably one of my worst.

Either way moral of the story. Asking viewers for suggestions can be hit or miss as a smaller channel especially if you let them have direct influence over what you play.

Reactions: Nuke and moah380

moah380

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Sep 14, 2015
YouTube
I think it works as it adds some viewer intrigue. Though if I had to be honest it might be a better technique for larger channels to use than smaller channels such as my own since certain people might have a lot of power to sway votes for Heavily Obscure games or Bad games. Back in January I ended up having an extremely obscure game called Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits win a poll. It wasn't a bad game but it wasn't great either and the game dragged on for about 60 episodes(Each at 30+ minutes in length) It was easily one of my least viewed series and I didn't get a lot of viewer interaction on that series at all. I still had fun with it despite that but it's series like that that make me wish I had time to do more than 1 game at a time because I could really feel it starting to drag on as the series moved along. Either way it's a risk you run with using this model especially if you are committed to finishing the games you are suggested like I am.

Oh yeah definitely as long as the suggested game is a fairly genuine winner with some hype behind it those could make for some awesome series with lots of people looking forward to each episode. Following up what I said above the game that followed Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits was Tales of the Abyss a fairly popular JRPG and with my channel being themed around the Tales series that ended up being one of my best performing series right after what was arguably one of my worst.

Either way moral of the story. Asking viewers for suggestions can be hit or miss as a smaller channel especially if you let them have direct influence over what you play.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, you helped a lot :)

Kan

Superman
Freedom! Member
Jan 4, 2014
Metropolis
www.youtube.com
YouTube
AndrewKanFilm
I have always just played games I have wanted to. For example I have never played Half-life any of the series and I am now getting into it. That helped me grow a lot. though it got me a lot of hate along the way XD All and all I am happy. I play games I feel or want to play and my audience is accepting of that, but when I started HL2 the all rejoiced XD