How do I prevent monetization for a video?

Indurok

Dragon
Freedom! Member
I have always been against uploading any Nintendo-related content, but about a year ago, I made an 8-bit version of the Mario Kart 64 Trophy Presentation music, and want to upload it un-monetized, just in case. But I don't see anything on the upload page about disabling monetization for a video. There's just the kinds of adds to display, and a usage policy to "Monetize in all countries" or "Block in all countries".

If there is no way to do this, I will have to cancel the upload. Or if monetization doesn't affect what will happen to the video, than I will still cancel the upload. Because I've never been quite as brave about this as the Game Grumps or Jacksepticeye.

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
I have always been against uploading any Nintendo-related content, but about a year ago, I made an 8-bit version of the Mario Kart 64 Trophy Presentation music, and want to upload it un-monetized, just in case. But I don't see anything on the upload page about disabling monetization for a video. There's just the kinds of adds to display, and a usage policy to "Monetize in all countries" or "Block in all countries".

If there is no way to do this, I will have to cancel the upload. Or if monetization doesn't affect what will happen to the video, than I will still cancel the upload. Because I've never been quite as brave about this as the Game Grumps or Jacksepticeye.

Worst comes to worst you'll get a claim. I haven't known Nintendo to dish out copyright strikes.

If you really want to un-monetize it though do you have a drop down box near usage policy that says block in all countries/monetize in all countries/track in all countries? You'll want to select track in all countries. You say you have the first two but do you see a track option?

Indurok

Dragon
Freedom! Member
Worst comes to worst you'll get a claim. I haven't known Nintendo to dish out copyright strikes.

If you really want to un-monetize it though do you have a drop down box near usage policy that says block in all countries/monetize in all countries/track in all countries? You'll want to select track in all countries. You say you have the first two but do you see a track option?
Yeah, but I don't know what that means, exactly.

C4RP3T

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Nov 11, 2014
Netherlands
www.youtube.com
YouTube
Also getting a claim is not the worst. I've got some video's with a claim. If you get a claim then your video automaticly stops monetizing. This does not mean you have a copyright strike. You just don't earn money of the video unless you file a succesful dispute.

Reactions: Kratos Aurion

Stretch AdventureKS

That Skeleton!
Freedom! Member
Sep 4, 2014
YouTube
Well for me it seems that for a long time ago even if I unmonetize all my videos apparently Freedom automatically changes them back to being monetized with non-skippable ads which is terribly. However, it does not do that for me anymore for some reason. I guess it might be cause of the new yt partner program, who knows, but all of my videos are unmonetized like I want them to and it stays like that.

But yeah, basically if you don't want them monetized, you select all your videos in the list of videos, go to usage policy under action and choose to track the videos instead.

C4RP3T

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Nov 11, 2014
Netherlands
www.youtube.com
YouTube
Well if you upload the video and don't turn on the monetize option it could be that Freedom enables it.
Yes indeed. I had something like that happen to me. I had a claim on one of my video's to music that was from incompetech (royalty free music site). My dispute got rejected but eventually Freedom! took care of it without me even knowing and turned on monetization.