How can I approach multi-genre content on one channnel?

ExpensiveGaming

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Sep 24, 2016
YouTube
Hi! I have a question. I currently make some really weird content, and it is going ok for me. Although, I'd like to also start making programming-related videos. I've always known that putting different genres of content on one channel can hurt your channel, but I would like to do both types of content. Does anyone have any advice for what I can do?

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Never be scared to try things out on the channel, I would personally inform your current audience beforehand (like at the end of a video, or a few days before) and then try out a few videos of the new content. Pay close attention to the analytics you get to see if this is helping or potentially hindering your channel and go from there.

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Hi! I have a question. I currently make some really weird content, and it is going ok for me. Although, I'd like to also start making programming-related videos. I've always known that putting different genres of content on one channel can hurt your channel, but I would like to do both types of content. Does anyone have any advice for what I can do?
Best is to divide things, say you upload 5 times a week from Monday till Friday. Make 3 times your main video's Mo, Tue, Fr and 2 times your optional video. This gives people a chance to get used to your new content and it gives you an insight how your channel will he affected.

Reactions: MWproductions1000

Chris Delmuro

Jul 15, 2017
YouTube
ChrisDelmuro
Personally, what I did was add onto my channel art with "Gaming, Vlogging, Entertainment" so people can tell. My channel is mostly gaming, but I've incorporated the other two.

Capt_Dark

Freedom! Member
Mar 12, 2017
YouTube
Just be you. Be comfortable with who you are and let the world know that this is you someone above me said it don't be scared to be you just do it people like that and will relate more to you that way.

Jonathan

"You don't know me...but you will"
Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
Personally I did more than just one type of content from the get go, so people who are subed to me know I make more that one type of content and are okay with it. I mainly show the content type in my thumbnails by having the channel branding have a different colour background dependant on the content. so Red is a commentary video / well made video, blue is a clip / non commentary gameplay, green is a vlog or IRL video, yellow is a games development video & white is a informative video. Its simple but effective :)

Viorel

New User
Aug 5, 2017
Just go for it. But make sure you group the videos under the same playlist. So you will have multiple different playlists.