YouTube help with tags

Hollingsbee

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Feb 3, 2015
YouTube
im hoping this is the right area for this on the forum. what i would like to know is what people use or do to find the best tags to use for there videos like ranked tags etc.

thanks in advance

Gamie

Rising User
Sep 20, 2017
YouTube
use tubebuddy to find good tags,there are lot of tutorial on youtube and you can also use a site rapidtags.io to generate tags.just put ur video title and the site will generate tags.

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
General rule of thumb:

A well-tagged video has:
  • Closely related Tags
  • General tags (but not too many) as well as detailed ones
  • Not too similar tags (That's something pretty easy to find spam with)
  • Use Tags that you (or a sane person) would search as an exact keyword when looking for your video
Use closely related Tags to get people interested in both topics.
Use General Tags to be recommended to people otherwise searching for the video
Use different tags (not minecraft lets play, minecraft lets play survival, minecraft lets play map)

I'm against saying "Don't use overpopulated tags". Overpopulated tags (e.g. minecraft) are mostly the tags people search for/watch the most. It should be more like "Don't only use overpopulated tags". Think like this:

YouTube wants to show user X a video. User X is interested in Physics and geography. What will YouTube show?
  1. Your video tagged with travelling the world
  2. Your video tagged with geography
  3. Your video tagged with both
Exactly, both. Even though geography is more of a popular tag and you will not rank with it, it does generalize your video.

Also I am against rapidtags with a burning passion as the last time I checked it returned tags I wouldn't rank on even if I was PewDiePie as well as blatant spam I'd get shut down by YouTube for (even if I was PewDiePie). Write your own tags, sit down for an hour and think of good ones and you will rank higher. I made a garbage video that has half my views just because it ranked on a popular topic.