GTX 1080

Fourth Wall Games

A Sarcastic Brit
Aug 17, 2014
London, UK
youtube.com
YouTube
So, who else took the plunge to get the GTX 1080? If you did, what do you think?

I personally picked up 2 and can not be happier, playing everything in 4k is mind blowing, the difference from 1080p to 4k can not really be explained. It definitely lives up to the hype for me!

So what are your experiences with it?

Reactions: Danny

Vers

Jan 30, 2016
hopefully going to get one near christmas time off my parents although i had a 970 and i7 6700 off them this year so idk, how is it?

Fourth Wall Games

A Sarcastic Brit
Aug 17, 2014
London, UK
youtube.com
YouTube
I'll be getting a GTX 1080 as soon as they release a hybrid cooled version.

I understand the thought, but thing is it makes very little difference, from various tests / benchmarks, a watercooled one doesn't overclock any better than a stock founders edition, temps are a little better but even the founders don't get massively hot when set up correctly.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
I understand the thought, but thing is it makes very little difference, from various tests / benchmarks, a watercooled one doesn't overclock any better than a stock founders edition, temps are a little better but even the founders don't get massively hot when set up correctly.
It's for the heat and the look. I'm not much of an overclocker myself, and running only two 1080p monitors isn't going to have it make much of a difference for now. But as games become more demanding, that slightly higher headroom is going to net some results.

Fourth Wall Games

A Sarcastic Brit
Aug 17, 2014
London, UK
youtube.com
YouTube
It's for the heat and the look. I'm not much of an overclocker myself, and running only two 1080p monitors isn't going to have it make much of a difference for now. But as games become more demanding, that slightly higher headroom is going to net some results.

I disagree with the headroom bit, both my FE cards have outclocked pretty much anything that has been gained with the aftermarket cards. The new smaller processors have basically made extra cooling pointless, as the processors reach their limit before the temp limits, so even water cooling won't make a difference to performance. It's all a silicon lottery after all.

I agree that at 1080p it is pointless to overclock or get more than one, as that would only really be intended for 4K etc.

Danny

SDGCore
Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver
sdgcore.com
YouTube
41Danny1
So, who else took the plunge to get the GTX 1080? If you did, what do you think?

I personally picked up 2 and can not be happier, playing everything in 4k is mind blowing, the difference from 1080p to 4k can not really be explained. It definitely lives up to the hype for me!

So what are your experiences with it?
You got two?! Dang TJ, what do you have in the rest of your build? :p