Resources Good Recorder?

Loyal Gaming

Freedom! Member
Apr 1, 2016
Michigan
YouTube
Hey guys! Does anyone know of a good recorder to use for game plays that records decent quality and doesn't have a gigantic file size?

aJay

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Mar 31, 2016
YouTube
ajayishappy
OBS Studio or Dxtory because both of them have the capability to record different layers of audio(Your Voice, The Game, and Skype or any other communication software) which makes it easier to manage the sounds.

Reactions: Loyal Gaming

Loyal Gaming

Freedom! Member
Apr 1, 2016
Michigan
YouTube
OBS Studio or Dxtory because both of them have the capability to record different layers of audio(Your Voice, The Game, and Skype or any other communication software) which makes it easier to manage the sounds.
DxTory has some big file sizes tho.

Loyal Gaming

Freedom! Member
Apr 1, 2016
Michigan
YouTube
Lossless codec has big file sizes but the quality is amazing! There are other codecs that has small file sizes but still have amazing quality. But if you want smaller file sizes but meh quality, use OBS Studio.
The quality with OBS so far is decent but yeah i tried the lossless codec and jesus christ it looks great but the file size gave me aids :[

Loyal Gaming

Freedom! Member
Apr 1, 2016
Michigan
YouTube
Well OBS studio is good enough. :] but just saying, Handbrake is a software that can compress video files without decreasing the video quality!
Yep i have had handbrake for about 2 months but haven't been recording. not sure what to play quite yet haha. too many steam games ;-; thanks tho dude :]

Reactions: aJay

hej

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Feb 27, 2015
www.hejyhej.com
YouTube
Well OBS studio is good enough. :] but just saying, Handbrake is a software that can compress video files without decreasing the video quality!

That's technically impossible, if you re-encode your video you lose quality. If you remux it you do not lose quality but filesize does not change. The only way to compress a video without losing quality is by using an archiver and zipping it up.

hej

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Feb 27, 2015
www.hejyhej.com
YouTube
Hey guys! Does anyone know of a good recorder to use for game plays that records decent quality and doesn't have a gigantic file size?

You should look for a recorder that does Hardware Accelerated Encoding using AMD App or Nvidia CUDA or Intel Quicksync.

For Nvidia the only recorders that have this capacity are:
  • Action!
  • Bandicam
  • OBS
  • (maybe Raptr not sure)

For AMD the only recorders that have this capacity are:
  • Action!
  • Bandicam
  • OBS VCE
  • Raptr/Plays.TV
Older software like FRAPS/DXTORY does not have this capability and should not be considered.

Loyal Gaming

Freedom! Member
Apr 1, 2016
Michigan
YouTube
You should look for a recorder that does Hardware Accelerated Encoding using AMD App or Nvidia CUDA or Intel Quicksync.

For Nvidia the only recorders that have this capacity are:
  • Action!
  • Bandicam
  • OBS
  • (maybe Raptr not sure)

For AMD the only recorders that have this capacity are:
  • Action!
  • Bandicam
  • OBS VCE
  • Raptr/Plays.TV
Older software like FRAPS/DXTORY does not have this capability and should not be considered.
I've tried Action! but it has pretty big file size and don't have money anymore to get it haha. but it was pretty good. might consider it again.

aJay

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Mar 31, 2016
YouTube
ajayishappy
That's technically impossible, if you re-encode your video you lose quality. If you remux it you do not lose quality but filesize does not change. The only way to compress a video without losing quality is by using an archiver and zipping it up.
Oh sorry, I meant without the quality decreasing that much

hej

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Feb 27, 2015
www.hejyhej.com
YouTube
I've tried Action! but it has pretty big file size and don't have money anymore to get it haha. but it was pretty good. might consider it again.

I'm recording on "medium" quality and have around 220MB per minute of footage.

Compare that to recording in RGB at 15.5GB per minute of footage.