Giveaways?

Gamer Haven

Rising User
Sep 16, 2015
YouTube
Are giveaways worth it to a YouTuber who is trying to draw in fans? I wanna give away a game but I'm worried it won't help bring long time viewers to my channel.

ozmodion

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Feb 12, 2016
YouTube
Ozmodion
I had the opposite effect, I gave a game away and i got 14 Subscribers from it, some of them wanted to see what it was all about and didnt want the game, also none of them left afterwards, i dont think you loose at all plus you get a bit of air time on your channel too.

Feb 13, 2016
Belgium
YouTube
I did a give away 2 years ago on another channel! ( he's deleted ) But i said that i would give away something when i reached 100subs ( At that moment i had like 10 subs ) In 3 DAYS in reached 113 subs. So my tip is that you would give it away when you have like 50 or 100 subs if you know what i mean :)

If you had another question about it! Just send me a message! <3
Lots of love, Rebecca

usmlonewolf

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Dec 24, 2013
Giveaways has gone both ways for me. I am trying something new with giveaways in my next event, altho it will be a twitch based giveaway and not a youtube. I have created a point bases system and only followers of me that have been with me will win, not the random guy showing up just for the giveaway. I'm sure there can be a way to implant that into youtube.

JakeVegas

Respected User
Dec 16, 2015
Indiana, United States
YouTube
Interesting. I'm thinking of doing a giveaway as well. I have a used AMD R9 290 GPU in perfect working condition that I'd like to giveaway to one lucky Real American Gamer subscriber. Not sure if I should do it now, or hold off until I get some more subs

Enmoshin

Enmoo~
Jul 10, 2014
YouTube
I think doing giveaways are fun. Especially if there's an opportunity to interact with your viewers and help you get to know them better. I've done a few where I'm not giving away games, but rather drawings (literal) that I would do for the viewers if they were selected. All they had to do was answer my topic question and I'll randomly select someone. I think those kinds of giveaways will help keep your viewers in the long run. But if you're frequently giving away games, then people might just subscribe to you to get the chance of winning a free game.

Reactions: Koala_Steamed

Olivea Sea

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Are giveaways worth it to a YouTuber who is trying to draw in fans? I wanna give away a game but I'm worried it won't help bring long time viewers to my channel.

I had a random person coming up to me on twitter telling me I 'had' to do a giveaway.... that I was kinda obligated to do so (facepalm)
Felt so weird and pushy! But I would like to do a give away when I'm actually making something of youtube where I can buy some cool stuff for me to give back to my viewers.... I think now it would only attract people who only want the gifts but are not actually interested in my channel so it would be a waste...

Chris

Filipino Let's Player <Astig>
Freedom! Member
Jan 3, 2014
www.gamerfuzion.com
YouTube
I think doing giveaways are fun. Especially if there's an opportunity to interact with your viewers and help you get to know them better. I've done a few where I'm not giving away games, but rather drawings (literal) that I would do for the viewers if they were selected. All they had to do was answer my topic question and I'll randomly select someone. I think those kinds of giveaways will help keep your viewers in the long run. But if you're frequently giving away games, then people might just subscribe to you to get the chance of winning a free game.
Can I get a free Drawing? =P

usmlonewolf

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Dec 24, 2013
Interesting, the arguments make sense on both ends. In the end though I think I might try a giveaway with a point system, like mentioned above.
This is still in testing phase for me, let me know how it works out for you if you try it :)

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
I think you are better off doing giveaways to reward your followers rather than bring new people in. I've seen some channels have really bad results with giveaways, where they have had thousands of subs but they only watched videos that had a giveaway in them. So the normal videos would have 10 or so views then giveaway ones would have hundreds of views.

Also you have to be very careful of how the giveaways are done, using them to gain views/subs/likes can be counted as fake manipulation of the Youtube metrics. Pretty much the same as buying subs in extreme cases and channels have been terminated for this.

JakeVegas

Respected User
Dec 16, 2015
Indiana, United States
YouTube
I think you are better off doing giveaways to reward your followers rather than bring new people in. I've seen some channels have really bad results with giveaways, where they have had thousands of subs but they only watched videos that had a giveaway in them. So the normal videos would have 10 or so views then giveaway ones would have hundreds of views.

Also you have to be very careful of how the giveaways are done, using them to gain views/subs/likes can be counted as fake manipulation of the Youtube metrics. Pretty much the same as buying subs in extreme cases and channels have been terminated for this.

Good points. Thats why I plan on sneaking my giveaway offer into one of my vids without advertising it.

usmlonewolf

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Dec 24, 2013

This is a good point. One thing I thought about doing is not putting giveaway in the title but rather in with the chat at random times.

MrBLaVigne

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Aug 13, 2014
www.youtube.com
YouTube
Giveaways aren't worth it in my opinion if you are a small channel. People would quickly subscribe for a chance to win, but once they find out they lose, they may stick around but I could see a lot of people becoming uninterested and unsubscribing.

But that's just my opinion.

C

Corpfox

I always do giveaways when new crates/cases are out for TF2 but I don't do it to gain views/subs/likes. However, I put it on the description, erase it when its done and list the winners on my next video.