YouTube Fixing or dealing with (very) low viewer retention?

FeelingsToontown

Formerly FeelingsToontown
Freedom! Member
Sep 7, 2014
Indiana
YouTube
So in the past I've not had the best viewer retention (I assume since that's all I'm showing it's allowed). A quick 1:30 minute video I did got really high retention - Over 106% in the us, and never dropping below 50%. That was with promotion on the subreddit of the music artist.

http://i.imgur.com/BUgDctS.png - 86% average viewed, which is pretty dang good

Now, a few other videos didn't get great retention. One video was a mirror of past videos from my old channel - 14% average viewed (Many skipped the first 30 seconds which I really regret putting in). This isn't good either, but it's not new content so it's to be expected

http://i.imgur.com/lzp0DkF.png - Low retention, but all of these are reuploads most have seen before.

I just started my first Let's Play series. I personally think it's pretty good - I did lots of edits to keep constant commentary, and I thought it was good overall. Without really any promotion each has hit around 50 views. But the retention is absolutely horrendous. On the first video, views dropped to 50% within the first 10 seconds, most skipping ahead. Around 20% rate dropping up and down throughout, and 30% at the end. The video sits at 50 views, while the analytics is counting 21, so even after it updates with the other 30 I highly doubt it'll rise.

Does anyone else combat low retention rates? What helps? I could care less about view counts if I knew people actually liked and enjoyed my videos, but clearly they don't as much as I'd hope.

http://i.imgur.com/bqtTsHl.png - Episode 1

Reactions: Marsh2907

Marsh2907

Freedom! Member
Dec 3, 2015
United Kingdom
YouTube
I think everyone struggles with audience retention when your channel is small. Once you have managed to build a decent following with regulars subs watching your content it should increase.

Just focus on been consistent by publishing your videos at a certain time. If people know what time your videos are published then that should help.
My average retention is around 20% for my videos. Which isn't amazing but is still much better than where it was 6 months ago.

Also remember the longer videos are over time audience retention will drop. It just happens.

FeelingsToontown

Formerly FeelingsToontown
Freedom! Member
Sep 7, 2014
Indiana
YouTube
I think everyone struggles with audience retention when your channel is small. Once you have managed to build a decent following with regulars subs watching your content it should increase.

Just focus on been consistent by publishing your videos at a certain time. If people know what time your videos are published then that should help.
My average retention is around 20% for my videos. Which isn't amazing but is still much better than where it was 6 months ago.

Also remember the longer videos are over time audience retention will drop. It just happens.
The issue is, I only have 1 consistent series (Shown in the post) that I attempt to do daily but currently can't record. Weekly is not often enough so..

I do all uploads at 4:00PM EST though, so..

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
Having consistent content can help (having the same type of videos on your channel), if you have music and gaming on the same channel then the people who subscribed for music may click the video and realize it is not something the subscribed for.

Also if you have low subs it can be really hard to get a high retention as they are the ones that are more likely to watch the whole video. I'd suggest try not to read too much into it, just keep consistent and working on improving your content that you make.