Facing Discouragement

Prandall

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 27, 2015
YouTube
Just a random thought I had. Does anyone get discouraged when you look at the difference between your Subscriber count and you view count per video? Like for me example. I recently hit 84 subscribers (which is amazing to me) but my videos usually only average about 20 views. You would think that I would average a little closer to 80 per video... which means there's a good bit of people subscribed to me that don't even watch my videos. I want people to subscribe to me because they enjoy watching my videos, because they're the reason I make them. I want more interaction with my subscribers, people commenting and being able to talk to them, instead of just an empty subscriber number.

Does anyone else deal with this? Just something that came to mind.

Jac Morton

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 19, 2016
UK, West Yorkshire
YouTube
shotonwhite
Just a random thought I had. Does anyone get discouraged when you look at the difference between your Subscriber count and you view count per video? Like for me example. I recently hit 84 subscribers (which is amazing to me) but my videos usually only average about 20 views. You would think that I would average a little closer to 80 per video... which means there's a good bit of people subscribed to me that don't even watch my videos. I want people to subscribe to me because they enjoy watching my videos, because they're the reason I make them. I want more interaction with my subscribers, people commenting and being able to talk to them, instead of just an empty subscriber number.

Gaming is a very competitive space to be in, have you thought about tweaking your upload time to try reflect when most of your subscribers are online?

I am currently trying to grow my UK audience so I am posting at 11:30 am and promoting the video around 12 so it's available for them to watch on their lunch.

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
Nothing unusual there. I'm in a much higher subscriber count and I'd be lucky to average 50 views per video within the first week (Unless it was a popular series going on at the time)

Reactions: Prandall

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
As a small channel, the majority of your views should be coming from outsiders rather than your subscribers.
What you're telling me says you're not making content that gets seen by people in search very often. Might I recommend investing time in learning SEO and bettering your position in search results.

Prandall

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 27, 2015
YouTube
This happens to almost every channel, even the big ones. For example, PewDiePie has more than 40 million subscribers but his average views per video is way below that.It's just happening on a smaller scale for you.
yeah I've noticed that, it would just be nice to be subscribed to by people that will actually watch, ya know?

Prandall

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 27, 2015
YouTube
Gaming is a very competitive space to be in, have you thought about tweaking your upload time to try reflect when most of your subscribers are online?

I am currently trying to grow my UK audience so I am posting at 11:30 am and promoting the video around 12 so it's available for them to watch on their lunch.
yeah which is part of why I've stopped doing gaming videos for the most part. I wanna focus more on short films and sketches again which are my real passion. gaming videos are just easy to make. and yeah i tried that for a while, posting at the best times.

Prandall

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 27, 2015
YouTube
As a small channel, the majority of your views should be coming from outsiders rather than your subscribers.
What you're telling me says you're not making content that gets seen by people in search very often. Might I recommend investing time in learning SEO and bettering your position in search results.
yeah that's a good point. it seems that people are mostly going to search for gaming videos which is something I'm actually trying to get away from.

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
YouTube is Hard. No one said it was going to be easy. No matter what type of channel you have your still going to be competing for those views. My tip is to keep making videos regularly and make videos about what you love, don't make videos about stuff your not interested in. If you make videos about stuff you are interested in your bound to put more effort in to them.

Prandall

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 27, 2015
YouTube
YouTube is Hard. No one said it was going to be easy. No matter what type of channel you have your still going to be competing for those views. My tip is to keep making videos regularly and make videos about what you love, don't make videos about stuff your not interested in. If you make videos about stuff you are interested in your bound to put more effort in to them.
oh yes it is! I've been working my ass on this channel for 3 years now, but I'm not giving up :) I've had other channels in the past that never really went anywhere but I wasn't nearly as determined back then. and amen to that! I put way more effort into short films and sketches than I do with gaming videos.

Phil Kidd

Human Person
Freedom! Member
Dec 10, 2014
Ottawa
YouTube

That's normal. Not everyone who subscribes will watch every video you make.

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Mostly people subscribe to your channel because of a certain series. I look at the channels where i subbed to i also don't watch all their content, only the ones that are of interest to me.
Same goes for my own channel. Some people come for my Diablo series and others for my FFXIV series. My view count is way lower then my subs but that is normal. Don't let it get you down ;)

Prandall

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 27, 2015
YouTube
Mostly people subscribe to your channel because of a certain series. I look at the channels where i subbed to i also don't watch all their content, only the ones that are of interest to me.
Same goes for my own channel. Some people come for my Diablo series and others for my FFXIV series. My view count is way lower then my subs but that is normal. Don't let it get you down ;)
yeah that's true, i guess because I'm small it's more noticeable. and maybe I'm weird because I typically watch every video of the main people I'm subscribed to haha. and nahh I won't let it get me down :) I really do appreciate the encouragement I've been getting from the Freedom! family

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
yeah that's true, i guess because I'm small it's more noticeable. and maybe I'm weird because I typically watch every video of the main people I'm subscribed to haha. and nahh I won't let it get me down :) I really do appreciate the encouragement I've been getting from the Freedom! family
Good to hear mate and keep that fire burning. Youtube can be a strange world. To name a example. When i look at my channel i notice that regarding my subs they mostly watch my FF14 and Diablo 3 serie. My overwatch serie gets some views but isn't nearly as populair as the other two. But the upside is that overwatch attracts new people. By offering content regarding all series i keep my current subs happy and attract new ones with other series :)

Prandall

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 27, 2015
YouTube
Good to hear mate and keep that fire burning. Youtube can be a strange world. To name a example. When i look at my channel i notice that regarding my subs they mostly watch my FF14 and Diablo 3 serie. My overwatch serie gets some views but isn't nearly as populair as the other two. But the upside is that overwatch attracts new people. By offering content regarding all series i keep my current subs happy and attract new ones with other series :)
I'll keep at it till I'm dead lol. and yeah that's a really good idea! :)

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
oh yes it is! I've been working my ass on this channel for 3 years now, but I'm not giving up :) I've had other channels in the past that never really went anywhere but I wasn't nearly as determined back then. and amen to that! I put way more effort into short films and sketches than I do with gaming videos.
Ask for a spotlight on the George Show! That helped me heaps!