Does Anybody Use ClickBait

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
While it may be a popular way to do things, it shouldn't be relied upon or encouraged. YouTube is actually cracking down on clickbait and potentially giving out community guideline strikes to channels who abuse this, especially if the clickbait titles tags etc have nothing to do with the video

mbwchampion

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 23, 2014
Arizona
www.youtube.com
YouTube
Sadly Click Bait works... but I am not any good at it. Usually when I spend a long time making a video, I want to call it what the topic is and not try to fake anyone out. Sadly, that's not the case when it comes to views, because people do actually click on those bait videos more than good videos that don't have them. :(

17fthigh

Rising User
Sep 18, 2017
Latvia
YouTube
snappysounds
I think that it's pointless. First of all you attract people who might not even be interested in the thing that you're actually providing so you're not going to build a fanbase like that, but likely will get your channel reported.

Second thing is that you should keep it real and even if it's slower like that, but you'll just build a fanbase of people who really are waiting to see more content created by you.

Reactions: Hyderpony

RyanSellers

Freedom! Celebrity
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Dec 6, 2014
Provo, UT, USA
www.ryansellers.co
YouTube
I'm not a big fan of clickbait, but it works to pull in an audience to watch a video.
The only reason I would use a clickbait looking title and thumbnail would be if something crazy actually happened within the video. It's it's not fully clickbait, but it is clickbait.

Corwin

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Honestly when it comes to clickbait, why not use it as long as you are using it properly.

People will be more likely to click on a video that says "Will we survive?" vs "Call of Duty 3 Zombies Gameplay". You just have to not be overly obnoxious about the title.

But as long as you follow through with the title of the video, who really cares. I don't understand the hatred when it comes to clickbait videos as long as they are done properly. Because they do work.

LP_Gaming1

New User
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
YouTube
Like said above, It's almost like false advertising in a way.

Imagine working for a store or company and telling the customers the totally wrong information, to get them to buy a product. They then buy it, and it's the opposite of what they were expecting. If anything, it just makes people look bad imo.

GLP Matty

CEO and Founder of Illuminati
Freedom! Member
Jul 8, 2014
Scotland
YouTube
GLPMatty
Honestly? H3H3 does it, Pewdiepie does it. At this point, no one can really say your a worse youtuber for doing it. I don't do it myself but I've never really had a reason to.

StringStorm

Freedom! Member
Jul 15, 2015
stringstorm.info
YouTube
From a marketing perspective, Clickbait is a tool. Like any other tool, its entirely up to you how you use it. If you use clickbait to grab the attention of people only to give them something that isn't related to the title, then you're using it wrongfully with the intent to lie and falsely advertise your content to your viewers. But how do you use clickbait legitimately?

Its alot like informal journalism on certain news sites. The headline of news articles HAS to captivate the reader. But at the same time, the headline MUST contain all there is to know about the article. Notice how big youtubers used to highlight the most notable parts of their video to the very front. Some guy is playing a horror game. The first few seconds are rough cuts of him screaming and reacting to jumpscares. Afterwhich the video then cuts to him playing the game from start to finish. Same with informal journalistic writing. You summarize EVERYTHING on the first paragraph, putting what the reader wants to know first and foremost, and then go into the details on the following paragraphs.

We can argue about semantics and the ethics of such subject but you atleast have to agree that Clickbaits isn't like the one ring of Sauron like alot of people claim it to be.

Would I use it? No, as my core content doesn't require me to do such. But should anyone else use it? Yes as long as it does not mislead. As I said in the beginning, it is a tool. Its up to you on how you use it. If you use it to lie and falsely lead people into clicking your video, then you're what's wrong -- not the method. If you use it to captivate your audience but deliver on what the title implied? Then that's good. More power to you.

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
I dont use clickbait, sometimes I do feel like maybe using it but seeing that I feel dirty for even thinking about it I dont use it even though I barely grow. I just kee doing what I like and hope one day people will come for what I make and keep my titles completely relevant to the video's I make

Reactions: Diversified Unison