Do you write a script for your videos?

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets.
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube

When people ask for advice on what to say during their videos, scripting comes to mind. Jokes are easier to come up with, but delivery is key. Scripts mainly work for edited videos, because let's plays can be hard to multi-task with relevant comments.

I realized, that I try-hard too much when there's words in front of me. Being spontaneous is easier, and memorization works a lot better personally ^^​

IDubHD

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Dec 23, 2015
YouTube

When people ask for advice on what to say during their videos, scripting comes to mind. Jokes are easier to come up with, but delivery is key. Scripts mainly work for edited videos, because let's plays can be hard to multi-task with relevant comments.

I realized, that I try-hard too much when there's words in front of me. Being spontaneous is easier, and memorization works a lot better personally ^^​
i tried to make a script for my freedom video.
and i failed to reading it.
then i just came up with what i wanted to say when i recorded.
#DontUseScriptKids xD

fattmat

Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
i tried to make a script for my freedom video.
and i failed to reading it.
then i just came up with what i wanted to say when i recorded.
#DontUseScriptKids xD
Scripts can definitely come in handy, I tend to just glance at some words. It can help with knowing what to talk about next. Winging it does work rather well at times :p

IDubHD

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Dec 23, 2015
YouTube
Scripts can definitely come in handy, I tend to just glance at some words. It can help with knowing what to talk about next. Winging it does work rather well at times :p
Then i just need to try harder xD

Stretch AdventureKS

That Skeleton!
Freedom! Member
Sep 4, 2014
YouTube
Yeah, I do, more often than before, either a poll, an update, or sometimes special moments during a series.
Can't say that it is a script, but I do also write down things that I wanna talk about during videos.

fattmat

Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
thats a really good idea
It helps in the long term.
To me, it's only useful for certain types of videos like skits, giving tips, etc. I don't think it's necessary to script a commentary of a game you're playing.
It'd be a bit strange to use a script for a 15 minute let's play video, heh. It comes in handy for other video archetypes.
Yeah, I do, more often than before, either a poll, an update, or sometimes special moments during a series.
Can't say that it is a script, but I do also write down things that I wanna talk about during videos.
It can be very beneficial when done right, not being forced is important. Writing helps out ^^

This Is Ethan

Respected User
Freedom! Member
May 7, 2015
YouTube
I'm going to start working on a channel trailer, so I made a script for that. But I really just wing it in my commentaries or things like that... and then if I mess up, I just cut that out in post-production. Sometimes I'll jot down ideas, though. Just not a full script. :)

fattmat

Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
I'm going to start working on a channel trailer, so I made a script for that. But I really just wing it in my commentaries or things like that... and then if I mess up, I just cut that out in post-production. Sometimes I'll jot down ideas, though. Just not a full script. :)
Channel trailers are the worst to talk on, I always feel forced talking on it, heh. Winging it works out better for me, I'm a terrible actor :eek:

Enmoshin

Enmoo~
Jul 10, 2014
YouTube
I do for SOME videos, only because when I'm making my vlogs, I don't wanna just sit there staring at the cam and saying "uh" as I try to come up with my next sentences.

This Is Ethan

Respected User
Freedom! Member
May 7, 2015
YouTube
I do for SOME videos, only because when I'm making my vlogs, I don't wanna just sit there staring at the cam and saying "uh" as I try to come up with my next sentences.
Also, just remember that if you decide not to use a script, you can always use your editing system to cut out the boring commentaries :)

Enmoshin

Enmoo~
Jul 10, 2014
YouTube
Also, just remember that if you decide not to use a script, you can always use your editing system to cut out the boring commentaries :)
Yea, but I don't like having to cut out every time I do something boring or dumb. It requires more work for me, and two, I'd rather just have things be a bit more fluid than me going "uh" "uh" "uh" every now and then.

Jac Morton

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 19, 2016
UK, West Yorkshire
YouTube
shotonwhite
I usually write a script out line, so there is a plan for what is going to be said in each video.

It makes filming a little bit more efficient but can takes some of the spontaneousness out of the delivery. This is something I am working on to find a good delivery and get across all the information. I have found that if you have a planned script you do get a better outcome from the video because there is more structure to it and that makes it easier to follow as a viewer.

fattmat

Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
Struggling to come up with material can suck, and that's why a lot of people use jump cuts too often. Having a guideline is beneficial ^^
I usually write a script out line, so there is a plan for what is going to be said in each video.

It makes filming a little bit more efficient but can takes some of the spontaneousness out of the delivery. This is something I am working on to find a good delivery and get across all the information. I have found that if you have a planned script you do get a better outcome from the video because there is more structure to it and that makes it easier to follow as a viewer.
If we practice enough, we can fool people to think it's spontaneous, hah. Delivery makes every joke worthwhile.