Do you support "Early Access" games?

Kraedax

Respected User
Oct 25, 2015
YouTube
I ask because I have recently purchased the early access game "Layers of Fear", and have been showing it on my channel. I have only played around 30 minutes of it so far, but I feel that this may have been the best $12.99 I have ever spent!

What do you guys think?

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
I have plenty of early access games... some are really good!

Sometimes I even support kickstarter games, that's really cool cause they will add your name to the credits of the game!

Problem is the game may never even come out... lol

Either way I love the idea of supporting startup game developers... as long as they have a good idea, and some good work to show for themselves I'll often take a chance...

Last edited:

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
Not really. I want to see a finished game. If they make you pay for early access the developers may have an excuse to get lazy and never finish the game.

Danny

SDGCore
Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver
sdgcore.com
YouTube
41Danny1
I like early access games, especially the ones that are handled well.

Personally I think it's nice how game development companies allow some users to have access to the game early and provide feedback for funding its development. It's a win-win!

When I see early access titles that look promising and match my taste, I usually consider purchasing a copy. :)

thundar001

Jul 31, 2015
YouTube
I like it when developers put out there stuff for testing. It gives me a chance to play how many times I can break the game. There are usually optimization issues that occur but that's part of it being an early access game. Which is amusing to see people write in the reviews about it as if the game was a full completed release.

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
I don't mind early access, however as others have pointed out, I also can't stand the crap games they put out all the time. What is even worse is when they tell you they are going to do this and that .. and just about everything they said never happens.

joaopneves

The Portuguese
Freedom! Member
Aug 24, 2015
Portugal
YouTube
Early Access games were "popularized" two/two and a half years ago. Then, every single day I login into my Steam account, I was "presented" with a message from some publisher trying to offer me early access games to test and help to develop. I've never had any, until Dirt Rally comes out. I'm a HUGE fan of rally (we here, in Portugal, do really like two major sports; football - which I hate!! - and rally), and I decided I want to have and test out this new Dirt game since day 0. I did so, and I'm not disappointed, not a bit! I do think we, as gamers, should be part of this develop stage of games. World is much more "connected" than 10 years ago. Gosh, world is much more connectec than 6 months ago! I'm 23 years old and I remember quite well that, when I was 5 or 6, I wish I could talk and have some friends from around the world. Now we can just go to YouTube, post a comment and make friends! Is incredible how small the world is nowadays, and I love it!

So, I think that's quite incredible we, as gamers, can actually be part of the development of our favourite games. When I think about it, I know it's an honor to me to help this big companies.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
I will only support games than not only show potential, but support it with regular updates and good optimization.

I will not support something that was thrown together over a weekend.

TheCookieWolf

Respected User
Oct 24, 2015
YouTube
I support it because it gives the chance of the people that are waiting for the game [because the trailer or because it continues from a previous game], can enjoy it before time...But the only bad part is that, if it have bugs or a bad Multiplayer server, the person should wait several time to play it well

HippoZoned

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Oct 27, 2014
Philly
YouTube
I bought day z and Ark, these games are decent but I don't think day z will ever be finished, and ark they dont work on the core gameplay, only add more Dino's and what not when the game needs a lot more work

So while I'll buy them, I don't like the risk that is involved

MrPlankGamingYoutube

Rising User
Jul 8, 2015
.i.
I bought day z and Ark, these games are decent but I don't think day z will ever be finished, and ark they dont work on the core gameplay, only add more Dino's and what not when the game needs a lot more work

So while I'll buy them, I don't like the risk that is involved
h1z1 is thhe best EAccess Game