Do you have pre-recording laziness?

NervousLatte

Rising User
Jun 5, 2016
YouTube
I asked this on reddit, but I figured I'd ask here because it's great to find people who go through this and can share their advice!

SO, my question to you all is, do you have pre-recording laziness? As in, you want to record, but the idea of getting everything set up and getting to it feels daunting? I don't know if laziness is the right word, since sometimes it's me being lazy, other times it's anxiety/nerves (since I'm relatively new), and once in a while it's just being too tired. Once I get started though, everything is fine and I get all into it no problem. It's just the initial starting that's the problem.

Did that make sense? And if it did does it happen to you guys and how do you shake it off :D? Any tips would be appreciated. Unless the only tip is to chug down five coffees and get to it ...because that's always my go-to option anyway :x

INDI vidual

Mar 11, 2016
Ukraine
Oh god, i'm not the only one here with this issue xD
Usually i just start the game and get a cup of tea. really hot tea. and by the time i'm done, it cools off, so i can drink it xD

Reactions: NervousLatte

VoiaGmer

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Sep 27, 2015
YouTube
D_JW_R
Yea, happens to me alllll the time. xD

If you really need motivation, just think of all the people who want to see your content. From that, you've sort of made a promise to entertain them and by recording, you're fulfilling that promise. :)

Olivea Sea

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
I asked this on reddit, but I figured I'd ask here because it's great to find people who go through this and can share their advice!

SO, my question to you all is, do you have pre-recording laziness? As in, you want to record, but the idea of getting everything set up and getting to it feels daunting? I don't know if laziness is the right word, since sometimes it's me being lazy, other times it's anxiety/nerves (since I'm relatively new), and once in a while it's just being too tired. Once I get started though, everything is fine and I get all into it no problem. It's just the initial starting that's the problem.

Did that make sense? And if it did does it happen to you guys and how do you shake it off :D? Any tips would be appreciated. Unless the only tip is to chug down five coffees and get to it ...because that's always my go-to option anyway :x

That's why I'm so happy to have my own video corner in the house, my setup is always film ready so it's not such a hassle every time!

TerabyteGaming

Freedom! Member
May 29, 2016
YouTube
Atm, i am trying to record and edit loads because I am going away for two weeks and want to keep to my schedule so tomorrow i am recording pretty much the whole day and then editing the day after xD, but yeah my problem is actually getting set up with audible and software etc. >.>

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets.
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube

This used to happen for me, but I've been changing my mindset lately. When I have a goal to do every video, it gets more motivated to start my recording sessions. I tend to over-record at times, but having content for the future works wonderfully ^^

TotalGamerHolic

Distinguished User
Nov 4, 2014
US, Ohio
YouTube
Yep. Too much. I setup to record some days and then realize I'm too tired, so nothing gets done. Other times I'll start a recording while feeling tired and mid way through I'll realize my commentary sucks, and I'll scrap the recording and not get anything done.

ekloo

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jun 16, 2016
YouTube
yeah I know that feeling. and I know how to get trough it. just give yourself a deathline be harder onyourself and give your self a kick in the ass if you don't make it. and just be in time when you actually wanna upload one. in other words: don;t think to much and just do it. and if that don;t work: then think about what wil happen to you if you keep doing this all the time and think about how but it wil become with you. and then change it right away!

FallenShogun

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Oct 12, 2014
YouTube
I go through phases of recording laziness, my biggest one being that I like to procrastinate and do something else then procrastinate the procrastination by doing yet another thing. It's gotten better lately but I think it has to be the right mindset, as some days I can literally sit down and record for a few hours while others it takes me most of the evening to even want to do 1.

Nordic Chronicles

Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Jun 8, 2014
U.S.A, Illinois.
Happens to me aswell, heck I'm working on recording on a cutscene from a game and I keep forgetting to turn on Shadowplay due to laziness. But yeah, it happens and it isn't fun, but what usually snaps me out of it is motivation or chatting with friends.

TheGaminCentral

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
YouTube
This happens to me as well whenever I like am going to start a recording and I feel like tired or something...but then I put my strength back up in and start recording and then it goes good

ekloo

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jun 16, 2016
YouTube
I loved reading everyone's replies! It's nice to know I'm not the only one who suffers from this damn laziness :D:D:D

you knwo it girl! and I also just watched your channel and I love the content you make! but 2 things that you can do better. first of all make a channel trailer. then people wil watch you earlier. also try to make a few playlists and place them on your home page of your channel. that's all. you doing it well. oh one more thing: if you have a little frame rate or lag in a game: try to put the graphics lower.

Jae Evans

Rising User
Jul 13, 2016
YouTube
I've found that a lot of people usually have this problem, myself included. I find it a problem to start recording sometimes as my mind starts thinking "Where is this video even going to go? Is it going to be as successful as I want it to be?". I do however have the same ease as you when I start doing it. And of course most the time with the newer video's I've been making I can just edit until I seem confident in the video. I don't have any very strong suggestions with this, but if I did I'd suggest to have the motivation to make the best video that you've ever seen. This mindset will all in all make you want to work on your video more pre and post recording.

nailsunleashed

Rising User
Jul 13, 2016
YouTube
Yes. I think everyone goes through this. I agree, once you get up and get moving you're fine. It's just that initial thought process. Maybe thinking too much??I don't know. But, I find it helps to set a goal/schedule for the day and stick to it.:D

Danny

SDGCore
Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver
sdgcore.com
YouTube
41Danny1
I get what you mean when you say the anxiety/nerves gets to you, I've heard it gets better with experience. :)

Personally for me laziness hasn't ever been in the way of putting out a video, it's always been the nerves. I'd set up the camera and sit there until I could muster the courage to speak, maybe I'm weird but I'm sure I'm not the only one who goes through that haha

Newbiezo

Freedom! Member
Apr 19, 2016
YouTube
If you are having Pre-Recording laziness,better be on your toes as Youtube is running away from ya!

Kii

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jul 15, 2016
YouTube
Mine is more of an editing laziness.

I record everything and then when I sit down to edit... everything just shuts down.