Not open for further replies.

Fluffy

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 25, 2014
California
YouTube
FluffysGames
Today I discovered midroll ads being placed in the middle of some my videos (sometimes multiple per video), and I have a number of concerns regarding them:

1. How do I go about disabling them? I'm going to the video's Info & Settings, then clicking the Monetization tab - once there, I can see the controls for adding/placement/timing of midroll ads, but I don't see a way to disable them entirely (which is what I want). I am deeply concerned this is going to have a severe impact on my relatively short videos (14-18 minutes).

2. Is there a setting I can edit to prohibit midroll ads from being placed in any future videos?

3. I don't know how many of my videos this has affected, and I really don't have the time or means to check through over 1,500 videos for midroll ads, and disable them if there are any (assuming there is a way, and I know how). Is there any way to view which videos have midroll ads - and disable them if there are any - in bulk?

Last edited:

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
1) I don't think you can go about permanently disabling mid roll ads being added to the videos, though you could always delete these by doing as you outlined above (going onto each video and removing them)

2) I was just checking all of YouTubes FAQ's and I couldn't see anything that would allow you to prohibit mid roll ads being placed on your videos in the future - though I may of missed something

3) Again not that I could see, you would need to check every individual video to see if mid roll ads had been placed on them and then delete them

Reactions: Fluffy
Upvote 0

Fluffy

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 25, 2014
California
YouTube
FluffysGames
Hello Zeke! Thank you very much for your reply.

I did a little digging around on YT to see what (if anything) I could do. My first visit was to Creator Studio -> Channel -> Upload Defaults. From there, I unchecked the "Automatic mid-roll ads" box. I have no idea why that was enabled in the first place, nor how long it had been like that.

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 1.02.43 PM.png

I don't know if this is a permanent/future fix, however. I don't know why midrolls popped up in the first place, and I have no idea if this is going to properly keep them disabled in the future. But for now, it's something.

After that, I revisited some of the videos on which I've found midrolls. I went to Info & Settings -> Monetization and scrolled down to the "Ad breaks" section and clicked the "Insert ad breaks in bulk" button, and removed all the automatically generated timecodes from the pop-up box.

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 1.14.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 1.15.06 PM.png

From there, I clicked "Insert ads" and then finally saved the video settings.

Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be a 100% certain fix. I revisited the Info & Settings for some videos multiple times, and re-checked the bulk-ad-breaks box to personally make sure they were removed. Some were fine, some were not - something on YouTube's end re-added the timecodes even after I cleared them and saved the video settings.

Upvote 0

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Hello Zeke! Thank you very much for your reply.

I did a little digging around on YT to see what (if anything) I could do. My first visit was to Creator Studio -> Channel -> Upload Defaults. From there, I unchecked the "Automatic mid-roll ads" box. I have no idea why that was enabled in the first place, nor how long it had been like that.

View attachment 17163

I don't know if this is a permanent/future fix, however. I don't know why midrolls popped up in the first place, and I have no idea if this is going to properly keep them disabled in the future. But for now, it's something.

After that, I revisited some of the videos on which I've found midrolls. I went to Info & Settings -> Monetization and scrolled down to the "Ad breaks" section and clicked the "Insert ad breaks in bulk" button, and removed all the automatically generated timecodes from the pop-up box.

View attachment 17164
View attachment 17165

From there, I clicked "Insert ads" and then finally saved the video settings.

Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be a 100% certain fix. I revisited the Info & Settings for some videos multiple times, and re-checked the bulk-ad-breaks box to personally make sure they were removed. Some were fine, some were not - something on YouTube's end re-added the timecodes even after I cleared them and saved the video settings.

Thanks for that Fluffy, did say I might of missed something, honestly had no idea about the automatic mid roll ads box - though it has just made me want to check all my YouTube setting just to be sure. As for the Youtube re-adding the timecards, I know that sometimes you have the click the save button as it comes up with "some changes could not be saved" a few seconds after you press it - well at least mine sometimes does when I'm adding / removing ads.

I'm just glad you managed to find a fix for it even if it doesn't work 100% of the time.

Reactions: Fluffy
Upvote 0

Fluffy

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 25, 2014
California
YouTube
FluffysGames
After spending some time digging through some of my more recent videos/projects, I discovered that mid-roll ads have been appearing after a particular video was uploaded, and not on videos that were uploaded before it (at least, not yet, but I haven't gone too far back in time yet).

The video in question is part 6 of my BioShock 2 remastered (Bioshock Collection) series. On that particular video, I have a copyright claim from SME for a song that occurs in that video ((How Much Is) That Doggie In The Window - Patti Page). As per usual, my control over monetization for the video is disabled, and the claimant is monetizing the video for themselves.*

I wonder if the settings they set for themselves on that video are somehow affecting other videos. I'm sure they shouldn't be able to do that, and they should only have control over the video they claimed, not any others. But like I said above, so far in my searching, mid-rolls have been appearing (occasionally) on videos that were uploaded AFTER that particular video, NOT before.

So far.

* Side rant: not that I have any power over it, but wow. Copyright claims on songs so many decades old that hardly anyone even remembers or cares about them. Not that my BioShock 1 videos look any better, for the same reason.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.