Determination/Desperation...? At a YouTube cross-roads.

SirPlasmalot

Freedom! Member
Mar 5, 2015
Texas
YouTube
SirPlasmalot
I'm at a sort of YouTube crossroads. I've been watching YouTube since I was about 10 years old. I had a really old YouTube channel where I posted a bunch of random crap, and I didn't ever want to make anything out of it, I just wanted to show my creations off on YouTube. However, two years ago, I started a channel that I was DETERMINED to grow. It's been over 2 years, and I still haven't hit 100, and I have almost 60 videos. I'm even more determined than ever to build a community, but I just don't know what I need to do. Two years is a very long time, and I don't know how some people can grow so quickly, when I work SO hard to produce good content. I watch YouTube every..single...day...because I love it.

When I see my friends on YouTube, every video of theirs I watch it makes me want to be that big, too. But not for the fame, not for the popularity... I want to be big so I can have a community of people that I know I can make smile and laugh...I just can't get my footing on the community. I want it....SO badly. I can't even find the strong enough words to express just how badly I want to do YouTube....my heart literally aches every day because I know that's what I want to do, I just can't get a foothold. I want it so badly, I've considered doing what everyone else does, and beg for subscribers on large YouTubers' videos, but I can't be that guy. I want to grow genuinely, where people discover my content, enjoy and appreciate it, and subscribe!

What would you do in my situation? I'm so determined to make it, but I'm so desperate because I want it THAT BADLY. What would your advice be?

SirPlasmalot

Freedom! Member
Mar 5, 2015
Texas
YouTube
SirPlasmalot
I feel like you need to make content on the mainstream games instead of the ones you're doing now. What are the odds of people actually searching for some of those ;p.

I know I SHOULD..but EVERYONE does that, right? I don't want to be written off like "Oh, he's just another guy who plays all the popular games, nothing unique." You know what I'm saying?

OnlyUltimate

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Mar 6, 2016
London
www.youtube.com
YouTube
OnlyUltimateYT
Gaming is a very difficult genre to get big on YouTube nowadays, not because there are so many people making gaming videos but because there are so many big gaming channels already. YouTube viewers don't really search for new YouTube channels or content anymore as there are so many good gaming YouTubers already that have a big following. It's a matter of if you haven't made a dedicated channel 3+ years ago you would struggle now, as back then there were no dominating, big channels so people would still search for other YouTube channels.