Service Designer Portfolio Reviews

SlenderSlay

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Feb 22, 2016
Washington, USA
YouTube
SlenderSlay
I've been decently bored recently, so i'll gladly do a portfolio review for any designer that wants one. I am not the best myself, but I bet I could point out a few things you need to work on. I will gladly also post a suggested price range you should sell your stuff for (but you don't have to take my advice).

Also, only ask for one if you want a brutally honest reply.

Reactions: LifelessDane

SlenderSlay

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Feb 22, 2016
Washington, USA
YouTube
SlenderSlay
Would be great if I could bother you for a review only thing I ask is that you comment on more of the newer stuff Thanks
https://jokerdesignsport.carbonmade.com/

Alrighty, can't really tell what the newer stuff is so i'll just give an overview of everything.

THUMBNAILS:

- Your best one here is the 100 subs thumbnail, but on that one I would use less of the subscribe button in the background and just make it bigger. The background currently looks slightly crowded. On a few (quakecraft + skywars I would move the text around, it is a little weird reading it at the bottom of the character, it also makes the thumbnail overall seem a little empty. I would move the text to the left side of the character and make a more vibrant CC to go along with it. Overall, I would just make everything more vibrant and more unique.

SOCIAL MEDIA:

- The text is the main thing I notice here, either it is too big or doesnt blend that well into the design. I would definitely also try some different fonts if I were you. There's a few that are a little too bland, and definitely need you to add more things to them (NM, RGC, X etc) On the "shift master" banner, the warping of the text doesnt fit well there either, either do both of words or none at all. The Joker Designs main banner seems to be your strongest in terms of color. The colors blend pretty well together and are pretty easy on the eyes. For the "Shifty" banner, this is where the text mainly gets at me. The shadow does not fit here. The white line also does not fit well with the darker theme of the banner. I would definitely choose a different font along with that and add some interesting stuff along the edges.

Hope this Helped!

Suggested price range (you dont have to take this advice):
Sell a social media revamp for around $1-3 depending on the intensity.[DOUBLEPOST=1484702321][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm not that great of a designer but here's what I got: https://nelldesignz.carbonmade.com/

Social Media (that's all thats there I guess):

- Theres not any specific areas I can point out for you, pretty much everything needs work for you. A lot of this stuff is pretty basic and I can tell you are just getting started. The thing that was most interesting to me was no doubt the "popcorn" text, it was put together decently well but was ruined by the outer glow and red stroke on the edge, I see potential for that text with adjustments to the rest of the banner. On about half of them do not even have CC as it looks to me, I HIGHLY suggest going to go watch some tutorials on color theory and adjustment layers/color corrections on youtube. Overall just go on youtube and watch all kinds of tutorials to learn more things. I suggest SESO and Behr heavily (and myself :p)

SUGGESTED PRICE RANGE: Work for free for now to gain more expertise.

Last edited:

JokerGamingVideos

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Dec 14, 2014
YouTube
Alrighty, can't really tell what the newer stuff is so i'll just give an overview of everything.

THUMBNAILS:

- Your best one here is the 100 subs thumbnail, but on that one I would use less of the subscribe button in the background and just make it bigger. The background currently looks slightly crowded. On a few (quakecraft + skywars I would move the text around, it is a little weird reading it at the bottom of the character, it also makes the thumbnail overall seem a little empty. I would move the text to the left side of the character and make a more vibrant CC to go along with it. Overall, I would just make everything more vibrant and more unique.

SOCIAL MEDIA:

- The text is the main thing I notice here, either it is too big or doesnt blend that well into the design. I would definitely also try some different fonts if I were you. There's a few that are a little too bland, and definitely need you to add more things to them (NM, RGC, X etc) On the "shift master" banner, the warping of the text doesnt fit well there either, either do both of words or none at all. The Joker Designs main banner seems to be your strongest in terms of color. The colors blend pretty well together and are pretty easy on the eyes. For the "Shifty" banner, this is where the text mainly gets at me. The shadow does not fit here. The white line also does not fit well with the darker theme of the banner. I would definitely choose a different font along with that and add some interesting stuff along the edges.

Hope this Helped!

Sell a social media revamp for around $1-3 depending on the intensity.[DOUBLEPOST=1484702321][/DOUBLEPOST]

- Theres not any specific areas I can point out for you, pretty much everything needs work for you. A lot of this stuff is pretty basic and I can tell you are just getting started. The thing that was most interesting to me was no doubt the "popcorn" text, it was put together decently well but was ruined by the outer glow and red stroke on the edge, I see potential for that text with adjustments to the rest of the banner. On about half of them do not even have CC as it looks to me, I HIGHLY suggest going to go watch some tutorials on color theory and adjustment layers/color corrections on youtube. Overall just go on youtube and watch all kinds of tutorials to learn more things. I suggest SESO and Behr heavily (and myself :p)

Thanks a lot for getting back to me. I defiantly like your pricing suggestion. Thanks Again

Last edited:

nelldesignz

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Nov 20, 2016
Florida
YouTube
Nelldesignz

THUMBNAILS:

SOCIAL MEDIA:

Hope this Helped!

Thanks for the help dude![DOUBLEPOST=1484795974][/DOUBLEPOST]

THUMBNAILS:

SOCIAL MEDIA:

Hope this Helped!

Could you also give me your opinion on my motion design/intros on my channel?

SlenderSlay

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Feb 22, 2016
Washington, USA
YouTube
SlenderSlay
Thanks for the help dude![DOUBLEPOST=1484795974][/DOUBLEPOST]

Could you also give me your opinion on my motion design/intros on my channel?
Sorry, don't do any motion graphic work.

THESE ARE SHORT, i'm really tired.

re-designed my website completely and i honestly don't care whether the review is good or bad i just want an opinion of some sort.
http://www.redrobins.uk

Banners:
Really simplistic, you need to add way more to them and start adding CC and just more effects. Try to make them flow better with better matching color pallets and to make the elements fit together better.

Thumbnails:
Make it flow better, looks a little too random. Work on better text and the edges are also really odd.

Banner:
You need more banners in there, I currently only see one. Work on the layer style, it is really odd and doesnt work well with the background. Definitely change up the social media text, the current ones are pretty horrid. Use different social media logo images and remove the stroke + make it smaller. Add more CC and a little less green.

Thumbnails:
Text is weird on all of them, looks a little squished on it. The glows and strokes you add look bad, try something different and put less emphasize on one color.

nelldesignz

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Nov 20, 2016
Florida
YouTube
Nelldesignz
Sorry, don't do any motion graphic work.

THESE ARE SHORT, i'm really tired.

Banners:
Really simplistic, you need to add way more to them and start adding CC and just more effects. Try to make them flow better with better matching color pallets and to make the elements fit together better.

Thumbnails:
Make it flow better, looks a little too random. Work on better text and the edges are also really odd.

Banner:
You need more banners in there, I currently only see one. Work on the layer style, it is really odd and doesnt work well with the background. Definitely change up the social media text, the current ones are pretty horrid. Use different social media logo images and remove the stroke + make it smaller. Add more CC and a little less green.

Thumbnails:
Text is weird on all of them, looks a little squished on it. The glows and strokes you add look bad, try something different and put less emphasize on one color.
What about my new banner?nell(1-19-16).png nell(twitter header).png