CUPHEAD | Best side scroller this year?

Cattigan619

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Apr 1, 2017
Ireland
YouTube
Cattigan619
I haven't played it yet, but from what i have seen, it looks really fun,gives me that old school retro side scrolling shooter, I don't have an xbox one to play it. Love the animation style.

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
to not copy my review video. I love the game, the visuals and all it does but for me its too difficult, I wanted to tear my hair out. its unfortunatly not for me but that said its an amazing game

SparktheYoshi

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Dec 27, 2016
Nevada
gitlab.com
YouTube
It's not really my type of game (a bit too difficult) but I applaud the vision of the creators and it's such a beautiful game.

I feel like the only other contender(s) this year are Sonic Mania, Steamworld Dig 2 and Night in the Woods, if we're counting only traditional 2D platformers. Though, if we get general and go 3D too, Super Mario Odyssey is right at the top, definitely.

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Personally I don't think it looks particularly that good and doesn't seem like something I would enjoy.

SparktheYoshi

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Dec 27, 2016
Nevada
gitlab.com
YouTube
Oh serious? XD
Do you like difficult and complex combat? The type of combat where your healthpool is very limited and enemies always have tells and patterns as the key to killing them. Or beautiful looking games, artstyle wise? Or games with complex rich Dark Souls-style lore? Or games with beautiful orchestral music?

Hollow Knight might be something you like, it's available on Steam for about $15 and is one helluva of a platformer and it's also gotten two free DLC.

502Gaming

Rising User
Dec 1, 2017
YouTube
I think it is by far the best side scroller of the year. The difficulty isn’t too bad once you get use to the game and grab some upgrades.

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Do you like difficult and complex combat? The type of combat where your healthpool is very limited and enemies always have tells and patterns as the key to killing them. Or beautiful looking games, artstyle wise? Or games with complex rich Dark Souls-style lore? Or games with beautiful orchestral music?

Hollow Knight might be something you like, it's available on Steam for about $15 and is one helluva of a platformer and it's also gotten two free DLC.
I'm more a (J)Rpg type of player :)