Collaboration Wrongs

Izaak.L

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Nov 11, 2015
York, Pennsylvania
literallylowd
I've never understood the ideas people seem to have about YouTube collaborations. They seem to just post something up to get a collaboration and force them selves into it.
Collaborations were to be mutual agreements between two YouTubers to work to make a video. After that if it worked out well they did a partnership where they do a lot of videos together. Somewhere along the lines people suddenly thought that a collaboration was something everyone does and you do it with everyone. I've seen it too many times already where collaborations have gone completely wrong because they just didn't meld right yet they kept trying.

People, your the owner of your channel and you have a say in a collaboration. Don't stay in a collaboration or even a partnership if you don't meld right. There are a lot of other YouTubers out there and there is bound to be one that you can meld with.

*rant over* I had to write this after going into the collaboration/meetups and the Freedom Partner collaborations forums.

What do you all think, leave your comments below.

Reactions: UlTiMaTuM

Phil Kidd

Human Person
Freedom! Member
Dec 10, 2014
Ottawa
YouTube
I've never understood the ideas people seem to have about YouTube collaborations. They seem to just post something up to get a collaboration and force them selves into it.
Collaborations were to be mutual agreements between two YouTubers to work to make a video. After that if it worked out well they did a partnership where they do a lot of videos together. Somewhere along the lines people suddenly thought that a collaboration was something everyone does and you do it with everyone. I've seen it too many times already where collaborations have gone completely wrong because they just didn't meld right yet they kept trying.

People, your the owner of your channel and you have a say in a collaboration. Don't stay in a collaboration or even a partnership if you don't meld right. There are a lot of other YouTubers out there and there is bound to be one that you can meld with.

*rant over* I had to write this after going into the collaboration/meetups and the Freedom Partner collaborations forums.

What do you all think, leave your comments below.
Agreed, collaborations are not mandatory. I don't even recommend them before you have several thousand subscribers. There's very little upside to collaboration between two people who have a few hundred subs. Sure, you might get a slightly more entertaining video, but if that's the case then maybe you need to work on your own content if someone else is making it so much better.

If you MUST go about it, it's always way better to approach a channel you specifically want to collab with, with a specific video idea. Just saying "i want to collab with someone, who wants to collab with me?" is kind of pathetic and showcases your lack of creativity.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
I think the biggest issue is that some people are so desperate for exposure that they'll collaborate with anyone or only select people with a certain subscriber/average view count. Others will just collaborate with anyone regardless with no real goal of the collaboration.

Alkaline Martin

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 17, 2015
Scotland
YouTube
I've got a few video that i am playing with another small youtuber who actually contacted me through one of my videos comment section, but before any video was recorded i just played the game with this person for a while first to see how well we got along playing together and then a few videos were made.

Apart from that time the only "collabs" ive done is playing with friends while recording but thats not reaaly considered a collabs i suppose lol.

I personally couldnt just jump straight into doing a collaboration, i would need to spend some time playing games and the likes before even thinking about doing a collab video that way i can know for sure if we will meld and if not then no uneasy videos will be made as i think if you dont get on well then the video(s) just wont be that good.

HighVoltageGamer

Freedom! Member
Sep 12, 2015
Great Falls, MT
YouTube
I haven't tried to do a collaboration yet, but I know what you are talking about. Like when you see the videos and the two barely talk to each other, or it seems like the other guy is only there to be picked on. This is why I haven't done one yet because I don't wanna end up being the guy who constintly gets picked on or trolled. Seems not worth it from the perspective of someone who is a small channel and would be looking for one to help grow. I don't feel like growing is worth being trolled constintly. I dunno. I feel like a collaboration should be both parties putting into whatever game you decide to play.

TheWonderSpud

The Meaning Of Life, The Universe And Everything
Freedom! Member
Oct 5, 2014
I collaborate with people I feel comfortable with only. I will have conversations with the person whom I'm about to collaborate with before I actually do.

I don't agree with people collaborating just to share subscribers.

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
Yes, I feel like collabs are suppose to be something you do with someone you actually want to collab with and to continue to collab with. It should be like a partnership or even a friendship.