Can someone explain microphones a bit for me?

G

Gods of Odds

Of course I know what microphones are and what they do but I have no clue about things like pop filters and whatever else. Can someone here explain to me about microphones and all the things like pop filters, what they actually do to help and just things like that? I'm guessing there is some benefit to them but I have no clue what any of the little extra parts that I could buy actually do.

AchilleanOfficial

Freedom! Member
Jan 23, 2016
www.youtube.com
Windscreens

Windscreens are effectively designed to reduce the effect of wind, and to ensure spit and sweat does not get into the microphone. The larger windscreens are more effective than the smaller ones. This is because the noise from wind (or your breath) can be picked up by the microphone. However, if there's a distance between the point of impact of the sound and the actual microphone, the volume of this noise will be greatly reduced. Thus, having a larger distance between the microphone and the actual outside of the windscreen would prove beneficial.

Pop filters

Pop filters are primarily designed to mute, or at least suppress the sound of pops. The pops could be induced by the letters 'p' and other letters and words that push air out at a fast speed. Not only that, but similar to windscreens, they also protect the microphone from spit and sweat, to prevent mold.

Shock mount

Shock mounts are mostly designed to isolate the effects of vibrations and shock. This would be used in cases where the microphone gets moved a lot, or is on a desk etc.

Recommendations
Overall, what would I recommend you get? Honestly, it's highly dependent on your situation. If you have a lot of desk space and room to fit a pop filter, I'd get a pop filter. If not, use a windscreen on your microphone. I would highly recommend a shock mount, as it helps to reduce the sound of vibrations from your keyboard.

G

Gods of Odds

Windscreens

Windscreens are effectively designed to reduce the effect of wind, and to ensure spit and sweat does not get into the microphone. The larger windscreens are more effective than the smaller ones. This is because the noise from wind (or your breath) can be picked up by the microphone. However, if there's a distance between the point of impact of the sound and the actual microphone, the volume of this noise will be greatly reduced. Thus, having a larger distance between the microphone and the actual outside of the windscreen would prove beneficial.

Pop filters

Pop filters are primarily designed to mute, or at least suppress the sound of pops. The pops could be induced by the letters 'p' and other letters and words that push air out at a fast speed. Not only that, but similar to windscreens, they also protect the microphone from spit and sweat, to prevent mold.

Shock mount

Shock mounts are mostly designed to isolate the effects of vibrations and shock. This would be used in cases where the microphone gets moved a lot, or is on a desk etc.

Recommendations
Overall, what would I recommend you get? Honestly, it's highly dependent on your situation. If you have a lot of desk space and room to fit a pop filter, I'd get a pop filter. If not, use a windscreen on your microphone. I would highly recommend a shock mount, as it helps to reduce the sound of vibrations from your keyboard.
Thanks for explaining it all to me, I think I will have a look at some pop filters, I'm also thinking about buying a new microphone.

G

Gods of Odds

I wish you the best of luck with your next choice! If you want any information about microphones, and what ones to get, I'll be more than glad to help.
Thanks and if you're willing to help then sure, I do want to get a new microphone but I have no clue what to get, I hear about the Blue yeti quite a a lot. What microphone and other parts would you recommend getting? I'm guessing the Blue yeti isn't the absolute best out there.

AchilleanOfficial

Freedom! Member
Jan 23, 2016
www.youtube.com
Well, there are many things you need to consider when buying a new microphone.
First, why do you need the microphone? When I say this, I really mean, do you need it for voice acting, or is it merely for gameplay.
Second, how good do you want your audio to be? If you want it to be the absolute best for every scenario, then you'd have to consider an alternative to USB microphones.

This leads directly into my next point. Do you want to get a USB microphone or XLR microphone?

XLR Microphones

XLR microphones can have superior quality to a USB microphone, specifically due to the heightened control that comes with XLR's. XLR microphones require an audio interface, which, depending on the price, has phantom power supplied with it. Phantom power is essential for XLR microphones. Because of the addition of an audio interface, the overall cost of an XLR setup increases above that of a USB setup. However, a audio interface is a one-off purchase, and unlike a microphone from a specific brand, it can host any brand of microphones, essentially allowing you to buy new microphones, without having to rebuy a new interface. Long story short, it's cheaper in the long run.

USB Microphones

USB microphones are cheaper initially. One of the main advantages of a USB microphone is the fact that you can just plug it into your computer, and use it. This isn't as easily achieved by XLR microphone setups. What's more, it has far more mobility, and some USB microphones can rival the quality of a XLR microphone. However, you do lose some control with USB microphones, and there is a tiny quality loss between XLR microphones and USB microphones.

Conclusion

So which one should you get? Well, first I would consider listening to audio samples from a XLR microphone, and a USB microphone. A few good XLR microphones are the AT2020, Rode N1-A and others. However, these are expensive, and you could theoretically achieve the same quality from a cheaper XLR microphones. As for USB microphones, I'd recommend either the Blue Yeti, Rode NT-USB or AT-2020 USB. Again, these are the more expensive options, but will invariably produce the best unedited audio. However, when you really think about it, it boils down to personal needs and preference. Only take my suggestions as a suggestion, not the ultimate choice. I hope this was of assistance.

G

Gods of Odds

Thanks for the reply, I've been looking at the Blue Yeti so I think I'll get that but now is it worth getting the Blue Yeti pro? Also what pop filters and other things do you suggest getting?

AchilleanOfficial

Freedom! Member
Jan 23, 2016
www.youtube.com
The main difference between the Yeti and Yeti Pro is that the Yeti Pro has both USB and XLR inputs. The Yeti Pro would be more versatile, but the XLR input would be useless if you didn't buy an audio interface. Honestly, I'd pick the one that suits you the best. Both of them sound nearly the same without post-production of the audio, and with post-production, the difference becomes almost indistinguishable.

If you're on a tight budget, I'd go with the Yeti.
If you want some more options outside of a USB microphone, without having to buy an XLR microphone, I'd buy the Pro.

As for the accessories, I would recommend getting a pop filter and shock mount. The windscreen is only useful if you breathe heavily, or if there's a consistent breeze of wind in your room. However, all 3 of these are very cheap to obtain, so it might be worth getting all 3 of them.

Depending on your situation, I would recommend getting either a microphone scissor stand (These things):

Or getting your standard microphone boom stand. If you use a camera, I'd highly recommend the boom stand, as it has more maneuverability. However, if you have a normal setup, near a desk, get the microphone scissor stand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gods of Odds
G

Gods of Odds

The main difference between the Yeti and Yeti Pro is that the Yeti Pro has both USB and XLR inputs. The Yeti Pro would be more versatile, but the XLR input would be useless if you didn't buy an audio interface. Honestly, I'd pick the one that suits you the best. Both of them sound nearly the same without post-production of the audio, and with post-production, the difference becomes almost indistinguishable.

If you're on a tight budget, I'd go with the Yeti.
If you want some more options outside of a USB microphone, without having to buy an XLR microphone, I'd buy the Pro.

As for the accessories, I would recommend getting a pop filter and shock mount. The windscreen is only useful if you breathe heavily, or if there's a consistent breeze of wind in your room. However, all 3 of these are very cheap to obtain, so it might be worth getting all 3 of them.

Depending on your situation, I would recommend getting either a microphone scissor stand (These things):

Or getting your standard microphone boom stand. If you use a camera, I'd highly recommend the boom stand, as it has more maneuverability. However, if you have a normal setup, near a desk, get the microphone scissor stand.
Thanks for all your help, I'll get the Yeti soon with a pop filter and probably a stand.