Status
Not open for further replies.

boyka

Jul 20, 2015
Italy
YouTube
Kan3_YT
Hi guys!
As title says, I'd like to know if it's possible to make a song's parody* and uploaded on youtube without risks.

My goal is to take the song's instrumental and singing on it my parody of the song.
Can I monetize it? Will I encounter the risk to get a strike even if I do not monetize it?

I see is full of songs parodies on youtube (fully monetized and some, even offensive for the real owner/singer of that song), but I saw that some of them, does not have the original instrumental part of that song.

So my other question: I will encounter the same risks if I use a (not made by me) cover of that song?

*= In this case, I'd only change some words to associate this song to videogame, nothing "suspicious" :p

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
You need to be careful as sometimes Youtube will put claims on videos even if they do abide by fair use, which a parody generally is. But yes you can make a parody and monetise it.

If you have a look at this and go down to the bottom there are a few examples of what is allowed for parody http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/cases/ . It's quite complicated how it works, I'm still not 100% on what is and isn't allowed either.

Do you have any examples of others youtube videos that yours will be like?

Upvote 0

boyka

Jul 20, 2015
Italy
YouTube
Kan3_YT
You need to be careful as sometimes Youtube will put claims on videos even if they do abide by fair use, which a parody generally is. But yes you can make a parody and monetise it.

If you have a look at this and go down to the bottom there are a few examples of what is allowed for parody http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/cases/ . It's quite complicated how it works, I'm still not 100% on what is and isn't allowed either.

It seems to be a quite good news, even if I could see that all the fair use cases were about only a portion of a song D:

Do you have any examples of others youtube videos that yours will be like?

Surely, since is full of minecraft parody for examples :p, I'm gonna take this: "the Herobrine" - A Minecraft Parody of Eminem & Rihanna's Monster (Music Video)
By: TheAtlanticCraft | Minecraft
Even if, as I said, the instrumental seems a bit different, don't know if they changed something simply with a program (like change semitones etc.) or made it from 0

Yes as said above you can monetize a parody but you could still get a content id match so always best replaying the melodies if you can so its classed as a cover song.

Ok, so what about I mentioned here, to modify the song with a program? Or stealing an already made cover and change it? (I know it's quite... evil? but I can't make a great cover myself D: )
Thx for answers

Upvote 0

PGUK Network

Respected User
Well you need a music program like Presonus Studio One or Cubase to put the midi pattern of the melody in and then you create your own sound that triggers the midi notes to create the melody from the track you want to cover. Most artists just play a guitar or piano but this is one way to do it if you are not able to play an instrument.

I you just type the name of the song in YouTube then Midi at the end you will find it and then just use that as its been replayed so wont get content ID matched

Upvote 0

boyka

Jul 20, 2015
Italy
YouTube
Kan3_YT
Well you need a music program like Presonus Studio One or Cubase to put the midi pattern of the melody in and then you create your own sound that triggers the midi notes to create the melody from the track you want to cover. Most artists just play a guitar or piano but this is one way to do it if you are not able to play an instrument.

I you just type the name of the song in YouTube then Midi at the end you will find it and then just use that as its been replayed so wont get content ID matched

Oh really nice to hear!
So I only have to search "SongName Midi", download it, edit it in that program and use it?

And, it's hard to do it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

boyka

Jul 20, 2015
Italy
YouTube
Kan3_YT
So what I meant was search the song name and the midi and it should be a plain piano version of that track which you could just use.
That's what I did but... there's only the midi of the vocals and not of the instrumental :/.
What I mean is, I don't need that midi of the main notes of the vocal since I'll sing it, so it's really useless...
I need only the "background", and it does not exist a midi of that...
I found how to create a midi and how to recreate the original instrumental starting from that midi but... I'm not a musician... it'd requires me many days to do, so fortunatly I found some instrumental covers on YT, and I'm asking them if I can use their creations
Thx for the help

Reactions: PGUK Network
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.