Educational Audience Retention

Louisse Subido

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Sep 25, 2017
Philippines
YouTube
direklousubido
It’s hard, it takes more work than you realize (most likely). But, it’s very possible.

How? Focus on keyword research, relevancy and audience retention. Note, the video below mine in the black box is also Wil Dasovich's video.

It has “the exact” keyword phrase for the title. It also had a HUGE social media marketing push that resulted in hundreds of additional views.

However, my #2 ranking video beat it out. How? Incredibly high audience retention.

More thoughts ...

In time, I will loose this position. Why? Because one of these ranking videos will accumulate MORE watch time than mine. Ranking is a function of:

Relevancy + Retention + Accumulated Minutes Watched

Thus, as other videos are published a big youtuber will be able to push so many “accumulated minutes watched” and I will get knocked down.

That might happen with the number of subscribers eventually.

But, this video is gaining views and converting viewers into subscribers. Day by day, month by month.

... and I will continue to grow. Meaning I will be able to push even MORE accumulated minutes watched and high retention.

That is how it works and that’s how you too can grow, even a small channel.

If you find this helpful to you, give this post a thumbs up.

Reactions: riganthor

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
so basically your tip is, look at the top viewed video and take hints from its title and description but that wont mean ppl will wathc your video for any ammount of time

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
Yeah, nothing will come from nothing. Even though it should be obvious to actually tag videos properly it's a stupidly high amount of people just throwing random tags at the wall hoping they stick. Of course search will prioritize videos with more views as well though one thing I've realized from my two highest ranking videos to this date is it's all about being at the right place at the right time. If there's a topic trending in a community, geographical areas or world wide people will search for it and ranking on those tags is the key. Having similar titles to another popular video probably won't get you in many places on search but you'll land on YouTube recommendations next to that video which people will go to. However I'm not sure if people will click on your video when they see it on the more popular one with the exact same title.

Nice thread!

IvyPlayGamez

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Mar 31, 2016
Somewhere in Europe
YouTube
IvyMitsuno
So you mean....click bait, honestly the moment people will see its a fake they will go out the moment they see the true content, and its not a matter of views but a matter of time watched, so this will not help on the long term

Louisse Subido

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Sep 25, 2017
Philippines
YouTube
direklousubido
There is no click bait in that post, and its actually not copying the #1 videos title, its all about the closeness of your keywords to your titles and the relevancy of your tags. As you can see I have TubeBuddy installed and as I search the keyword search it gives you the percentage of that keyword clicks, plus it has the tag explorer which looks for relevant tags for you videos as well as the #1 video. But overtime you will lose your position due to audience retention, meaning the number of subscribers you watched your videos until then.