Audience retention

KuyasKorner

Rising User
Feb 2, 2016
YouTube
I've been reviewing the analytics of my channel and some of the view counts I've been getting are between 1-7sec. Any tips on how to keep the audience interested in my videos?

But I guess some of them are people that either have very short attention spans and want something in your face within the first second or people that expected something else from my video even though it's not clickbait.

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets.
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
I've been reviewing the analytics of my channel and some of the view counts I've been getting are between 1-7sec. Any tips on how to keep the audience interested in my videos?

But I guess some of them are people that either have very short attention spans and want something in your face within the first second or people that expected something else from my video even though it's not clickbait.
Short videos tend to work the best. Let's play videos that are over 10 minutes are a bit over-saturated when it comes to unedited videos. If you make condensed videos with the best moments present, the views should go up possibly. It really depends on the videos you're looking to create.

Reactions: KuyasKorner

mujexzilla

Rising User
Oct 1, 2016
YouTube
According to some studies, and yes it is as depressing as it sounds, most people nowadays have the attention span close to that of a goldfish. So go with short videos.

Also, turn off sub count and stop looking at analytics. Don't think of the numbers because at the stage you are at right now there are no numbers to look at. You should be looking forward to the next 2-3 years of mediocrity until you even make a dent.

I know it sounds harsh, but it is what it is. Just ask jacksepticeye where he'd be right now if it wasn't for pewdiepie's shoutout to his channel, I think he owes pewds about 12 mil of his 12 mil subs.

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
You should have 5 seconds at the start showcasing he best moment from the video or do what youtuber NickNimmin does and give the viewers a reason to stay around. Then have your intro. Try and keep your videos less then 15 minutes. I'd reccomend around 5 minute videos, even less.

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member

Depending on what your channel is about most people start with a intro wich is not a bad thing but once this comes back every video this can work the opposite way. To grab the attention you could try and make a short spoiler of what is to come instead of a intro. So basic you show a good fragment followed by a short 3 second intro to introduce yourself :)

KuyasKorner

Rising User
Feb 2, 2016
YouTube
@mujexzilla I know these are just numbers but I only check my analytics like once every couple of weeks or once a month so I'm not really that critical of myself. I know I'm still new but it doesn't hurt to do alil research on where you can improve. And yes Jack probably wouldn't be where he is now but either way he was still growing, as a YouTuber and as a person.

@Showcase One Media , @TwilightPrinze that sounds like a plan. Kinda like, "Here's a free sample" and if they enjoy it they will want more :)

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll put it to good use (y) (Y)

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
@mujexzilla I know these are just numbers but I only check my analytics like once every couple of weeks or once a month so I'm not really that critical of myself. I know I'm still new but it doesn't hurt to do alil research on where you can improve. And yes Jack probably wouldn't be where he is now but either way he was still growing, as a YouTuber and as a person.

@Showcase One Media , @TwilightPrinze that sounds like a plan. Kinda like, "Here's a free sample" and if they enjoy it they will want more :)

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll put it to good use (y) (Y)
Great to hear mate and let us know if it made a positive difference for your channel :)