Audience Retention

Kovuix

Kovu Productions
Freedom! Member
Oct 5, 2015
Texas
YouTube
Hey guys, throwing another question out there for ya. Would you guys have a low audience retention percentage and more views? or a higher percentage with less views? What does one or the other say about your content?

Bush_Baby_Plays

Minecraft Junkie
Freedom! Member
Nov 12, 2015
Alabama
YouTube
I'd personally have higher retention and lower views, because then at least it would make me feel like I was a bit more interesting. Maybe that'll change now that we've gotten a new mic and all, but I went the route of paying YouTube for exposure and the video got over like 400 views but not many people watched it till the end. At least, statistically. But then it was an hour long co-op play of Diablo 3 so I'm not really surprised. Chalk that up to beginner mistakes.

I have actually seem a bit of an upturn in views on the first video I did with the new mic, but I don't know what the stats are yet in terms of retention and all that. Having more views is nice and all I guess, it means somehow people might be finding my videos or my thumbnail actually caught someone's eye, but I'm eager to have people that want to hang out with us for the whole video not just click and leave. Aside from just having fun, that's one of our goals :)

Reactions: Kovuix

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Higher retention, definitely. The higher your retention percentage is, the higher YouTube will rank it because their algorithm is like "Oh, look, people want to see all of that video", and thus places it higher which will generate more views in the process.

It them becomes an upward spiral.

Reactions: Kovuix