Are you frustrated yet?

ITW Games

Freedom! Member
Nov 12, 2015
Midwest USA
YouTube
ScottWood2569
Dear Frustrated People of the Freedom forums,

You know, I read alot of post on this forum about how people are so frustrated by the fact that their channel hasn't "caught on" or "blown up" or whatever. And really it surprises me. Did you really think this wasn't work? Did you think it would be easy? I posted my first video in 2011. A crappy poor quality video of a snowstorm outside my house. It truly did suck. After that all I posted was stuff I wanted my friends to see with my RC cars.
On the 28th of march last year I decided to see if I could make some money at this. Thinking the same thing alot of you think. It's easy money. I watched pewdiepie and jack septiceye and philip defranco and thought, "Yea i can do that!" It looks easy as hell. Play some games, record some footage and upload that sh!+. I was SOO wrong!

So now I have a different approach. I wanna make money at this someday. Maybe real big money. As with any career you have to get your education. I think of this time as my education. Learning how to do it RIGHT! Editing, commentary, scheduling, spending time elsewhere besides sitting behind this computer. Once I get all that straight things will, I hope, happen naturally. You can't just upload a video of something and then just stare at the screen and wait for it to make you rich. (I tried that. Didn't happen!) You gotta put in work. Get that education. Learn how to commentate. Learn how to record. (lighting, sound, hardware, software) Learn how to Edit. (more software) Learn how to juggle youtube and relationships. (even more "software") There's no such thing as easy money. Sure you might come up with something genius like snowboarding thru the streets of New York. Or fat shaming those "Dear Fat People". (and yes I think video was a stroke of genius. A crappy additude to have about people. But from a marketing standpoint... Genius!) ok where was I. Oh yea

You gotta put in work. For most of us, it just takes time. You gotta be patient. Get that education. Read the forums. Watch videos about how to make videos. Watch videos about how to promote. Watch videos about little kittens cuz dammit you need a break. But be patient. Put in the work. It'll all come round eventually.

Sincerely,

Scott Wood of ITW Games.

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
You just gotta come into the whole thing expecting nothing really. Do it for fun not for fame and even if you are in it for fame then expect to work a ton to achieve your goals. (And still have some fun with it regardless)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hail Kira

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
There is a certain grip that many people need to get about making YouTube videos. The grip on reality.

The odds are, you're channel is never going to take off, so don't run the channel like it will. It keeps money out of it and any other success related motifs away from the environment and the creator will enjoy content creation more than the guy that anticipates getting views.

It's a hobby before a job, when you can pay ALL your bills with it, then it's a job.

goshops

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Nov 23, 2014
YouTube
One of the frustrating things is where to share your videos. Certain places on reddit dislike it and have rules against sharing personal videos.

Another frustrating thing is building an audience. I get views but not a lot and it would be nice to get some comments or feedback; I also don't mind negative feedback as long as people aren't rude. "This video sucks" isn't helpful to me, explaining why it sucks would help me to improve.

My content is mostly Let's Plays of various games, mostly Dying Light as of late, and I don't really have the cooperation of friends to organize something or finding games to play co-op. Also learning how to edit my videos so they are engaging to watch the whole way through, instead of the first 30 seconds or minute.

Exposure, building an audience, and finding an editing style are things I need to work on. If anyone would be willing to give some critiques, my channel is in my signature; feel free to browse. I'd really appreciate some critiques and feedback.

Gamerman98

Freedom! Member
Jul 26, 2015
canada
YouTube
I may have goals I would love to obtain, BUT I am just someone who constantly works at just making fun and (hopefully) entertaining videos to share with everyone, and I have a blast doing it!

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Dear Frustrated People of the Freedom forums,

You know, I read alot of post on this forum about how people are so frustrated by the fact that their channel hasn't "caught on" or "blown up" or whatever. And really it surprises me. Did you really think this wasn't work? Did you think it would be easy? I posted my first video in 2011. A crappy poor quality video of a snowstorm outside my house. It truly did suck. After that all I posted was stuff I wanted my friends to see with my RC cars.
On the 28th of march last year I decided to see if I could make some money at this. Thinking the same thing alot of you think. It's easy money. I watched pewdiepie and jack septiceye and philip defranco and thought, "Yea i can do that!" It looks easy as hell. Play some games, record some footage and upload that sh!+. I was SOO wrong!

So now I have a different approach. I wanna make money at this someday. Maybe real big money. As with any career you have to get your education. I think of this time as my education. Learning how to do it RIGHT! Editing, commentary, scheduling, spending time elsewhere besides sitting behind this computer. Once I get all that straight things will, I hope, happen naturally. You can't just upload a video of something and then just stare at the screen and wait for it to make you rich. (I tried that. Didn't happen!) You gotta put in work. Get that education. Learn how to commentate. Learn how to record. (lighting, sound, hardware, software) Learn how to Edit. (more software) Learn how to juggle youtube and relationships. (even more "software") There's no such thing as easy money. Sure you might come up with something genius like snowboarding thru the streets of New York. Or fat shaming those "Dear Fat People". (and yes I think video was a stroke of genius. A crappy additude to have about people. But from a marketing standpoint... Genius!) ok where was I. Oh yea

You gotta put in work. For most of us, it just takes time. You gotta be patient. Get that education. Read the forums. Watch videos about how to make videos. Watch videos about how to promote. Watch videos about little kittens cuz dammit you need a break. But be patient. Put in the work. It'll all come round eventually.

Sincerely,

Scott Wood of ITW Games.
AMEN TO THAT!! Well spoken my friend! This story is full of facts and pointers we all should learn from. My respect for making this thread as i hope this opens up the eyes of many.