Any tips on creating gaming walkthroughs without being hit with a copyright strike?

Curtis Carter

New User
Sep 23, 2015
Hello! i'm planning to do game walkthroughs on the ps4 and xbox 360 on my channel. I've read some of the rules on Youtube stating that it's alright to play any games without getting any copyright strikes as long as the content has commentary. but based on your experience, what useful tips can you provide that can help avoid those strikes. Thank you!

Reactions: Psychotic

Psychotic

Rising User
Jan 14, 2016
YouTube
i would say to just be yourself and be really careful and cautious about the backround music.i was copyrighted because of it once,so i had to delete the video(y) (Y)

Curtis Carter

New User
Sep 23, 2015
Lol! thanks for the heads up! but what about opening cut scenes or end credits? will that still count?

Psychotic

Rising User
Jan 14, 2016
YouTube
it all depends on what kind of music u put for those scenes they will still count unless u get permission to use them

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
It's usually the music and sometimes even cutscenes...

There's a website that lists developers and wether they allow footage or not...

If the developer isn't youtube friendly turning off the music or replacing the music usually helps... as well as not posting the cutscenes...

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube

Curtis Carter

New User
Sep 23, 2015
@Hail Kira Alright thank you! Yeah i kinda figured that i won't be turning on the radio won't Freedom help gamers with their copyright strikes? is there a way to ask permission to play those cutscenes or background music?

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
@Hail Kira Alright thank you! Yeah i kinda figured that i won't be turning on the radio won't Freedom help gamers with their copyright strikes? is there a way to ask permission to play those cutscenes or background music?
I don't think it would be affordable to get that music... but I'm not totally sure... what you can do is find some music on one of the sites were affiliated with that kinda fit and play that...

THENigeliam

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Aug 17, 2015
Philippines
YouTube
As mentioned above its usually the music or cutscenes. I got a strike once but I deleted the video before it became Public and just removed the cutscene and everything was fine. This was the cutscene for the BO3 Zombies game.

I also played GTA V before and the radio plays songs (duh), so if you do GTA V might as well turn that radio off to prevent any copyright in the future.

I hope I helped! :)